Skip to main content

I would LOVE to play baseball in college. My dream is to play baseball at a top college to get the best education possible, while playing the best sport in the world. I just ended by first year, in which I played JV. I was one top hitters on the team based on statistics. I play catcher. 

How do I get recognized? Where to I start? (step by step please)

Thanks!

Michael

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'm asking the following question as a reality check, not to be antagonistic ... Since you're a JV player why do you believe you have potential to play college ball. Before you approach college programs, what level of college ball do you believe you can play? The reason I'm asking is my experience of hearing high school kids thinking they could play D1 ball without having a clue about the level of competition.

My son is also a 2016 and has had the good fortune of being "noticed" by several scouts just after his first HS season. A key word many younger players need to understand is "projectabilty".  My son had a great season but more important than current stats, his talent in the projectable future is ideal and this matters more to scouts and D1 recruiters. At age 15 he is 6'2", weighs 170lbs and can throw in the mid 80s.  It may seem unfair but size does seem to be a big factor. Hitting with power got him noticed as well. A key question is how tall are you now, will be in the future and what kind of power indicators do you possess? Work on strength and speed as much as possible and practice more than everyone else until you start to develop the size indicators. This is info straight from pro scouts we have met. Also summer travel and show cases matter far more than HS ball for getting noticed.
Originally Posted by RJM:

I'm asking the following question as a reality check, not to be antagonistic ... Since you're a JV player why do you believe you have potential to play college ball. Before you approach college programs, what level of college ball do you believe you can play? The reason I'm asking is my experience of hearing high school kids thinking they could play D1 ball without having a clue about the level of competition.

I completely understand where you are going with this, and generally, your point could be viewed as good advice.  However, depending on the school one attends, and the level of competition in the area, it is not uncommon to have Division 1 caliber high school freshmen playing on the JV team.

It happens somewhat regular around here!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.