Skip to main content

I did some searching and found a few useful posts from prior years about the Sophomore PG Series Classic.  My son just got an invite, so I wanted to ask if anyone has any updates on how their players' experience there went, how many college coaches attended last year, or any further info about the event.

July 30-Aug 5 in Ft. Myers, so lots of lead time.  Cost is $649, which isn't bad for PG.  I don't want to just waste money, but we can drive to FL and the costs aren't going to be a hardship.

Last edited by Chico Escuela
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

baseballhs posted:

I'd love to hear as well.  We got this invite and the Jr. National Showcase.  Love to hear pros and cons to each.  Not going to do both and know very little about this Sophomore Classic Series.

I've heard from more than 5 people that got the Sophomore invite last night, including my kid, so those invites don't seem very rare.   If people just want a PG experience I am sure it will deliver, but this isn't a "only a select few were invited" event. Plus, check your kids school return date.  My kids school is already back in session during that time.

BaseballHS, could you please share some of the feedback you have gotten?

CaCO3Girl:  This isn't A Big Deal for sure, but PGSTAFF said in prior year threads that it isn't just an open cattle call--there is some level of selection going on.  Which is part of my question: does this look any different for participants than other PG events?  Any particular pros or cons vs. regular PG showcase? 

Chico Escuela posted:

BaseballHS, could you please share some of the feedback you have gotten?

CaCO3Girl:  This isn't A Big Deal for sure, but PGSTAFF said in prior year threads that it isn't just an open cattle call--there is some level of selection going on.  Which is part of my question: does this look any different for participants than other PG events?  Any particular pros or cons vs. regular PG showcase? 

Let me put it this way.  The who's who in youth baseball received invitations to the Jr. Showcase, then others can apply and be rejected or accepted based upon some criteria PG sets that I am not privy to.

The Sophomore event went out to a LOT of people last night.  Perhaps it was the first or second round of invites, I don't know, last year I know there were at least 4 different email rounds.  Perhaps they do send them out based on skill level,  I don't know.  I do know that I have never heard of a player being denied entry into one of the Classics games, and I HAVE heard of people being denied an invitation to the Jr. Showcase.

If you are looking for which one is more selective it is the Jr. Showcase.  If you are looking for which one gets you more games that would be the Classic.  If this were my son and he was invited to the Jr. Showcase as one of the initial email recipients, that is where I would take him.

Two years ago, my son attended and was on the  sophomore team that won it.  I didn't see any scouts.  He had a decent tournament and the only difference it made to his profile was that his attendance was noted in the trophy section.  He was "one of the best in the area of his grade level" , according to the invite, yet he remained with an N/A in his ranking until senior year when he went to a showcase.   In my opinion, there are better places to spend your money... like a  showcase or a prospect camp.

Last edited by JLC

My oldest son went to the first Series Classic held.  It was his favorite event he ever attended and it was the most fun I had watching him play.  His team also won, so maybe that had something to do with it.  I didn't see any scouts in attendance but there was a ton of talent on the field.  My son's team had 6 D1 kids (my son went D2) out of 10 players, so I don't really understand the inference that there is lesser talent here.  Just look at the kids who played in this tournament who went on to play in college.  Sometimes I think we get a little lost on things like recruiting verses just playing the game and having fun.  This tourney is more about celebrating the player than other tournaments I've seen so far.  Everybody's goals are different.  I made the decision to make this game about the experience over trying to achieve a farther out goal of playing in college.  Enjoy the ride, not look forward to the destination.  This event is high on our list and my middle son will be attending and our family is extremely exited about it.  Good luck on whatever decision you decide. 

I see your point if its all about the experience.  It is fun to play for your region/state but it is expensive to fly to Florida, stay in a hotel for days, plus spend $649 playing in a tournament that, in my experience, has little bearing on the recruiting process, for those who are trying to get noticed.   Luckily, I live local so I don't have those extra expenses but as a single mom, I don't have the luxury of going to all of the events that my son would like so I need to get the most bang for my buck and to me that means, where he can be seen by schools or scouts so that he gets on someone's radar.  I just didn't feel that this tournament provided that but it was only in its 2nd year.  Maybe things have changed. We played in the stadium for the championship game and hardly anyone was there.  Maybe other's experiences, regarding exposure, are different.  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.