Skip to main content

My son is a senior who was only around 80-81 in the spring. Today he was clocked at 86. 4.0 student with 30 ACT. He’s really only been in contact with D3 schools but with new found velocity with 90mph feeling achievable, we are trying to figure out what to do next. He’s in the weight room hard and just started with a good instructor for first time. 

Anybody have any tips going forward this late in the game??  He would LOVE to land at a D1 in state but is open to everything. 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Trying to walk on as a pitcher at a D1 is risky unless he’s built like a pitcher 6’2” 190 or bigger and consistently hitting 90. The alternative is go JuCo become a D1 pitcher and transfer soph year.

In the big picture find a situation that is a quality experience for an education, baseball and socially regardless of level.

What is your main objective, baseball, or academics?

Where was his velo clocked, and who clocked him?

At this point it is very late in the game. 86 mph is nice, but most coaches will want to get their eyes on him in a game, or at least see footage of him throwing in a tunnel. Having no record of him throwing at that velo in any tournaments will be a drawback, but they are always looking for arms. 

In my experience, a lot of P's touch 85-6, but "sit" at 80-2. 90mph sounds like just a little bit more, but is really a whole different world. 

Don't mean to be negative. Figure out where your son wants to go to school, and get in touch with them ASAP. Realistically, a D1 is a stretch, unless there is more to the story that I am unaware of. D2's, D3's, NAIA's, JUCO's might  all be possible. Around here, there are some excellent HA D3's that would probably admit your son with that velo, and those marks.

His main objective is to play baseball at the highest level possible with D1 being the goal. We both understand 90 is a different thing but definitely believe it’s possible. 
He was consistent 85-87 today on flat ground with tennis shoes, in a cage with no real game adrenaline. 
His instructor clocked it on Rapsodo and pocket radar. 
We will be putting it on video when he gets on the mound. 
He would still be thrilled to play for a strong HA D3, but doesn’t want to give up on the D1 dream now that he’s starting to realize his potential more. Thanks for the input. 

Be careful not to just get to D1. Marginal D1 players get replaced by the next recruiting class every year. Half of D1 players transfer within two years. The goal isn’t just to get to D1. The goal is to stick and have a positive baseball, education and college experience.

Shouldn’t the main objective be getting a good education and setting himself up for the start of the next forty years? 

A friend’s son entered college at a HA D3 at 6’3” 180 cruising 84. He left after pitching them into the D3 World Series hitting 94 and was drafted.,

Last edited by RJM

That's pretty exciting.  I don't necessarily have answers but I will throw out some more questions and observations that may help lead you in a good direction.

You say playing baseball at the highest level possible is his main objective.  I can't imagine a young man with a 4.0 GPA that doesn't or shouldn't hold the academic aspect in high regard as well, even if he isn't sure of his major yet.  Can you elaborate on that aspect?  It plays heavily into choosing direction.  Do keep in mind the 40 vs 4 factor.

How strong is the HS league he plays in?  Being this late in the recruiting game, playing in a competitive HS league may be the only option for him to show his newly found velo and how he commands it.  This, of course, isn't ideal but might be an option if he can get to where he needs to be.

What are the in-state D1 options he wants to attend?  If they are P5's, it is much more of a longshot than if there are mid-major or lower  level D1's he would be happy with.  A strong D1 program will likely require that they see him pitch effectively with velo against good competition and will also be more likely to have already allocated their athletic scholly $.  Then, if he is OK with non-P5 programs, you have to go back and take a closer look at whether it's really worth while to shoot for lower level D1's vs other options just for the D1 label.  You/he may very well find that it is not.

If high D1 continues to be the target, Juco may prove to be the best route.  But again, that is typically not the path taken by 4.0 students.  Juco is a good avenue for many but comes with it's own set of unique challenges that should be strongly considered.

Academics and his future career are most definitely important to him. He has worked hard on grades and ACT towards that end. I just said that HIS first priority is to play ball at the highest level possible. Of course he wants to do that in the strongest academic setting possible. But he’s pursuing his dream and I won’t discourage him from that. 

He is homeschooled. Dual enrolled at a small non athletic college in town. He will have around 20 credit hours earned by graduation. Needless to say his high school league is not very strong. 

His dream school is definitely a P5, we are in Baton Rouge...  but he knows that’s not exactly realistic. There are a couple small D1s in state he would be thrilled to attend. All of them have a path to either of the two degrees he wants to pursue. 

Again, he’s not D1 or bust. But he would love the opportunity to play against the P5s if he can’t play for them...

"that HIS first priority is to play ball at the highest level possible. Of course he wants to do that in the strongest academic setting possible. But he’s pursuing his dream and I won’t discourage him from that."

Why is his first priority to play baseball at the highest level possible? And, what does that really mean? Is it measured by team performance; is it measured by his contribution?  There is a huge difference. Is suiting up one year and being released before the next considered playing? You're from BR, you know what LSU fields every year - is he even close to any of the LSU pitchers who see the field?

Strongest academic setting possible? What does that mean? All due respect to LSU, but do you consider LSU (as a baseball player) to fit your criteria? If so, that's pretty weak tea.

He's pursuing his dream and you wont discourage him? Well, adults are supposed to bring wisdom and context to kid's dreams. First, regardless to league and division, if he's a late bloomer who suddenly displays pro potential, his college is irrelevant  - he will be discovered. Second, for kids who aren't pro prospects, baseball is a tool used (just like great grades and scores) to leverage upwards into a college he otherwise couldn't reach. (And, I'll add that homeschooled kids have a more difficult time in the admissions area and baseball could really assist.)

You and he have every right to be proud of the velo jump; he moved from a fringe D3 prospect to a real D3 prospect. He moved from a kid hoping to see the mound to one who coaches expect to be on the mound.

Again, what are his baseball goals - besides wearing a uniform for a year? No P5 will take a pitcher, have that pitcher not really contribute, and keep that pitcher the following year. Those teams are always looking to upgrade all positions and WILL upgrade from a minimally contributing player.

With a 4.0 30 ACT kid, are you comfortable placing him in a situation which doesn't maximize his academic potential, which has a high probability of being one year which in turn means he needs to transfer or drop baseball?

There are lots of schools which put him on a path to maximize all his potential  - athletically and intellectually. I'd aim for that subset.

It sounds to me like your son has no offers, D1 or D3.  Considering it's November, that seems very troubling to me.  Don't know if that's because he's a late bloomer, lacked exposure, bad mechanics, or a dislike of homeschooling, or some combination.

You have less than 8 weeks to get your applications in. To be blunt, you will not get any D1 offers between now and Jan 1.  If you reach out to coaches, and let them know of his late growth, then he may be encouraged to walk on. Then you have a decision to make.

You can consider a PG year, but again the clock is ticking.  Finally, you can go as a free agent and hope to get a crazy late D1 offer next summer, but I wouldn't recommend that, based on your son's academic strengths.

BTW, I know of a kid who tried to walk on D1, it didn't work out, then transferred to a HA D3 his sophomore year and is playing in the NESCAC...not bad.  Point being this year is not make or break.  Especially if you go the JUCO route. 

I would reach out to some non service academy Patriot league schools with video. They fit his velo and his academic profile. Most of the early application deadlines have passed, I believe Lehigh has ED2, but applying early is important as even a 30 ACT will be fringe for most of those schools. 

Not to discourage but 85-87 indoors doesn't mean much. You can top 88 but you still might sit 83-84 when you're 65 pitches in which is why going to watch these kids is so important. All the late bloomers I know who received D1 offers were either 6'4+ or 90 already. Not that it can't be done but 86 wasn't a crazy number over the summer, that is not anything crazy now. Not sure why is flat ground is being clocked but if he is 90+ in the high school season and fills out more, he might get more draft looks than D1 looks. 

How much travel has he played?  How competitive?  What has been the platform that has gotten the current D3 attention?  Has he had the opportunity to pitch against a lineup full of college commits? 

He has been home schooled...  Forgetting baseball for a minute, what type of college environment will he flourish in?  Big/small?  Christian/secular?  How far away from home will he be comfortable moving?

Lots of questions.  Who/what level did he play in the summer/fall?  How far does he want to go away from home?  That will be a big concern for coaches being homeschooled.  What is his ultimate goal in life? 

D1 walk-on would not be recommended.  Those guys have a hard time sticking.  There are a lot of good jucos in Louisiana, Texas, and Mississippi that do a good job of developing and moving kids on to D1.

Sat thru a DH this weekend between a Mid Major conference champion and a “decent” mid major team. Of all the guys on the mound, only 3 were over 90, the rest sat 87-88 and one was sitting 82-84 (a RHP). Not freshmen, these were for the most part returning contributors. So yes, velo will always open doors for you, but there are tons of guys on D1 rosters who will never break 90, so I really don’t think that number is relevant. The pitchability is, however. Does he have good command? Great secondary pitches he can throw for strikes? If the goal is to actually see the mound as a freshman, D1 will be the hardest route, the other levels incrementally easier. The biggest factor is being seen. You have to get in front of coaches now.

FWIW, I know a kid who did not sign with his D1 until the day before the cutoff date in July because he was looking for an unrealistic scholarship amount. He ended up getting what was he could and is playing in a mid major, not in his HS position because he was not able, as a freshman, to win a starting position there...but he ended up on the field as a starter in his new position and was all conference there as a freshman...so just grind and get in front of those coaches! I hear a lot of talk about “your kid sounds like Patriot League material...that is a very, very narrow window to put yourself in. Two of the six schools are service academies, and the other four would only avail you to approximately 40 freshman recruits a year. Not sure if people are looking at where those kids are coming from, but not a ton are from outside the immediate regions of those schools, except maybe Holy Cross, whose 2019 and 2020 classes are showing some National reach, perhaps due to that fantastic new athletic facility they have which is on par with most P5 facilities. You also indicated that if your son did not play P5 he would like to play against P5. In the Patriot League, Holy Cross also typically plays a pretty tough out of conference schedule, playing Top 25 P5 teams at a much higher rate than other Patriot League programs, including the service academies.

Last edited by collegebaseballrecruitingguide
3and2Fastball posted:

Baseball wise the OP's son sounds like a classic JUCO candidate

Academics wise the OP's son doesn't sound like JUCO would necessarily be the right fit.

Have you considered a Gap year/post grad year?

My thoughts exactly...instead of JUCO why not do a post grad year at a top prep school and not burn a year of eligibility.  With those grades and metrics he'd be a hot commodity at Andover/Exeter/Belmont Hill etc.

" His main objective is to play baseball at the highest level possible with D1 being the goal ."  You mentioned this a few times and I will focus on one word....PLAY.  Huge difference making a D1 team vs PLAYing.  If your son would be content on possibly getting very little playing time (and being a great teammate/role player) then I can possibly see where a high D1 might be a goal.  A goal is something to strive for, not something to sacrifice other areas to achieve.  I would still stress getting the best education possible while using baseball (and best chance to actually PLAY) as something to strive for.  Use baseball to decrease the cost of a good education.  That diploma will last a longer time than playing baseball.

chazball posted:

I'd agree, the Patriot League schools may be a good option for your son.  One of the schools just added a recruit in the last few weeks.  That said, I think you need to move fast and get in contact and get in front of them.  

Good luck to you and your son!

Lets be real though.... how can a late bloomer from Baton Rouge with just a 30 ACT at this point realistically get a 2020 Patriot league offer with a 86MPH peak velo (as an RHP I am assuming).   This is not possible.   No chance at all, not even 1%.  He has had no contact with these coaches, their classes are full but if not they have like one special spot to fill and prob 5 kids they are considering.   A 30 ACT at say Holy Cross makes you a 50/50 proposition as an ED to get accepted (yes I have a child there) and that deadline passed.  They have Freshman RHP's upper 80's and one who hit 92 in fall.  The coach won't have a chit to get your through at this point too.  Oh my god I have turned into RJM.........

K9 posted:
3and2Fastball posted:

Academics wise the OP's son doesn't sound like JUCO would necessarily be the right fit.

My thoughts exactly...instead of JUCO why not do a post grad year at a top prep school and not burn a year of eligibility.  With those grades and metrics he'd be a hot commodity at Andover/Exeter/Belmont Hill etc.

Does Belmont Hill take PG’s? When I played in the ISL these schools made incoming seniors repeat junior year. They frequently make any entering student repeat a year. It can take a year to adjust to the academic demands.

I hated the one I attended freshman year socially and returned to public school. I was a boarder. Most of the athletes were day students. 

I will add one other point of emphasis to consider.  I am not sure how highly regarded his pitching coach/instructor is or if that guy has any connections with college coaches, particularly D1s.  If he does not, no matter how much good you think he is doing with your son, you need to get him into a training facility/clinic that has those connections.  Ask coaches, particularly area college coaches, who they would train with.

I am going to assume that in Baton Rouge, there are some highly regarded training clinics.  In SoCal, there are a lot of them, and I know one that is notorious for getting late risers signed by D1s (mostly mid-majors and lower but D1s no less).  This facility does a lot of the intense training to boost velocity and conditioning and sets up kids well for strong senior seasons. The owner has a good pipeline of coaches, and he has some success getting late signs--I mean like May-June signs in D1s that lose recruits and players to the draft, transfer, etc.  None of these kids would be playing college baseball had they not had that connection.

At this late stage, especially hearing about his high school situation, it is all going to be about having connections if he wants to aim higher than D3 or Juco.  I agree that Juco sounds like the best option if your son is truly determined it has to be D1.  But as others have said here, there are many reasons not to just focus on that.  He needs to understand he is really late to be getting into the recruiting process for all levels other than D3 and Juco at this point. 

Good luck and please go back to this thread and update it along the journey.  You aren't the first parent to come into a situation like this, and this forum is an incredibly valuable place to learn about all of the different challenges in getting a chance to play college baseball.  Your end result will help others learn in the future.

i will second the Combine Academy, although i am not sure about the academics.   Belmont Hill does not have PGs.  I am familiar with PG options in the Northeast but not in the south.  Bridgton Academy has a great program but shipping him to Maine may not be a good fit.  I personally would focus on HA D3s where he could flourish on the field and classroom.  

RJM posted:
K9 posted:
3and2Fastball posted:

Does Belmont Hill take PG’s? When I played in the ISL these schools made incoming seniors repeat junior year. They frequently make any entering student repeat a year. It can take a year to adjust to the academic demands.

I hated the one I attended freshman year socially and returned to public school. I was a boarder. Most of the athletes were day students. 

Good point - not sure if Belmont Hill/BBN/ etc. take pure PGs.  

My son was also a late bloomer and was able to find a D1 (P5) home during fall of senior year. However, there are some big differences which include: He became member of  90+ club during summer before senior year, played for a top HS program in highest classification in our state, and had 2 people in his life who had numerous baseball contacts all over the country. Also important to note that my son was willing to forego athletic money for an opportunity with a P5 school.

Like a lot of the info that has already been shared, your son's situation is going to make it really difficult to find a D1 option at this point in time. If you do, I would be highly suspect that it is not just a ploy to get him on campus for academic reasons. Highly recommend that you read some of the threads about fall ball, if you have not already done so and take info into consideration as well. I would also recommend that your son consider the emotional toll should he find a D1 program willing to take a chance on him, only to have the rug pulled out from underneath him at conclusion of fall ball. When doing so, he needs to consider everything that goes along with it not working out. 

I do like your son's determination and goal to play high level ball because the JUCO's will still be around should it not work out. There are definitely success stories out there regarding similar situations but they are the exceptions, not the rule. If he is not able to find a D1 option and would still like to work towards that goal, I would second the gap year and JUCO recommendations already provided.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Gunner Mack Jr. posted:
chazball posted:

I'd agree, the Patriot League schools may be a good option for your son.  One of the schools just added a recruit in the last few weeks.  That said, I think you need to move fast and get in contact and get in front of them.  

Lets be real though.... how can a late bloomer from Baton Rouge with just a 30 ACT at this point realistically get a 2020 Patriot league offer with a 86MPH peak velo (as an RHP I am assuming).   This is not possible.   No chance at all, not even 1%.  He has had no contact with these coaches, their classes are full but if not they have like one special spot to fill and prob 5 kids they are considering.   A 30 ACT at say Holy Cross makes you a 50/50 proposition as an ED to get accepted (yes I have a child there) and that deadline passed.  They have Freshman RHP's upper 80's and one who hit 92 in fall.  The coach won't have a chit to get your through at this point too.  Oh my god I have turned into RJM.........

Not realistic, but definitely possible. If he is able to get into the school on his own there is a good chance that he sticks around for a bit as a baseball player given the amount of walk-ons on each team (almost everyone). 90 isn't common in the Patriot, 86 is, but there are still recruited players who aren't touching that yet. Worst case scenario, he ends up at a good school as a regular student. Saying the classes are full when maybe one is on scholarship is a stretch and if he's 6'2 and 88 a week from now I'm sure some space may happen to open up. 

I never picked up if he was right handed or left handed in the thread.

You have gotten lots of good advice, but you/your son will have to make your own decisions.  All come with risk. You can't come back later in life and shoot for the stars. If D1 is the goal, there is lots of risk of not getting there, or getting there, but just briefly without playing much.  It probably has the most to do with the make up of your son and how bad he wants it.  And everyone kid says he wants it.

Kids that go to JUCO for a year still get engineering, science and math degrees from top state universities.

PABaseball posted:
Gunner Mack Jr. posted:
chazball posted:

Not realistic, but definitely possible. If he is able to get into the school on his own there is a good chance that he sticks around for a bit as a baseball player given the amount of walk-ons on each team (almost everyone). 90 isn't common in the Patriot, 86 is, but there are still recruited players who aren't touching that yet. Worst case scenario, he ends up at a good school as a regular student. Saying the classes are full when maybe one is on scholarship is a stretch and if he's 6'2 and 88 a week from now I'm sure some space may happen to open up. 

Let's just agree, as you post, it's not realistic.  I wish the family/kid well and hope he finds his home.

So, you've shared some of the academic and athletic background information.  What about financial requirements?  If your son's goal is to play college baseball (actually get in the games) your son looks to be someone who would be in demand by many D3s.   Why not use that leverage to open the door to college baseball?

Virginia has a half dozen top ranked D3 baseball programs.  Just based on velocity it is questionable whether your son would find significant mound time over a season at these schools.   Because he hit 86mph may mean he makes a D3 team, but it doesn't necessarily mean he beats out others to make the college travel team, win bullpen innings or even become a starter.   Take it one step at a time and leverage the lifetime academic skills your son has already demonstrated over his new found ability of throw a baseball 86mph.

As always, JMO.

Last edited by fenwaysouth

I agree with the above, it's just not realistic. You have been given very good advice by everyone.

Next week 2020s will be signing their National Letter of Intent.  If the player has not been in contact with any coach, he is way behind the process.  

I would at this time concentrate on where your son wants to attend college.  Students are preparing their applications now.  That should be the objective and the goal. 

RJM posted:

Be careful not to just get to D1. Marginal D1 players get replaced by the next recruiting class every year. Half of D1 players transfer within two years. The goal isn’t just to get to D1. The goal is to stick and have a positive baseball, education and college experience.

Shouldn’t the main objective be getting a good education and setting himself up for the start of the next forty years? 

A friend’s son entered college at a HA D3 at 6’3” 180 cruising 84. He left after pitching them into the D3 World Series hitting 94 and was drafted.,

Best answer in this string. I’m going to apologize in advance for insulting you, but I think you need to have a reality check. A 4.0 gpa & 30 ACT screams HA D3. 86 mph FB (didn’t see if he had other pitches) is what I saw out of Johns Hopkins, Swarthmore and Muhlenberg Pitchers. How many times has it been said: Go where you’re loved.. Good Luck

cabbagedad posted:

How much travel has he played?  How competitive?  What has been the platform that has gotten the current D3 attention?  Has he had the opportunity to pitch against a lineup full of college commits? 

He has been home schooled...  Forgetting baseball for a minute, what type of college environment will he flourish in?  Big/small?  Christian/secular?  How far away from home will he be comfortable moving?

... still waiting for the last round of questions to be answered.  With more pieces to the puzzle, we can provide more helpful and accurate input.  Did we lose ya, Pats2020?

As example, there are those here who will try to dispell the velo comments and point out that they've seen plenty of mid-80's FB's during games of D1 schools.  But there is background to that.  Some will cruise in games below their max for movement or other reasons.  Some were extremely effective and projected to have more velo.  Sometimes it is a midweek or tournament game where the team happens to be rolling out their innings eater, etc.  But the large majority at strong D1's were very much battle tested against quality hitters prior to being offered.

He has not played much travel in high school. He played for a team this summer but exposure and coaching left a lot to be desired. He hasn’t had much exposure at all for a couple reasons. 1) the league he plays in being homeschooled doesn’t draw any attention. 2) he hasn’t played travel in high school except this past summer and they’re may have been a coach or two at some of the games...  3) he hasn’t showcased or camped due to not really having anything spectacular to show. He just now feels he is starting to have something to show but it is sooo late in the game. 

He has stated he is fine with staying close to home or going far away. I get the feeling from him that he would prefer the big campus life but says small is fine. Playing ball trumps all. But playing ball at a larger, D1 type school is what he wants. Not that he won’t accept playing at a smaller school, it’s just not his first love. 

ive always felt like he had way more potential than what we have seen on the field, and now that he’s starting to realize that, he believes it even more. He has the size, body type, speed and athleticism to be a player somewhere. We just don’t know where. I understand people here wanting to curb our expectations. And I don’t disagree with many things said. But for him to come out of nowhere to throw 85-87 repeatedly when he just now started with a good instructor, just started a long toss routine, band work etc...  has us confident he has more. I know he may not. But I and others 100% believe he does. 
thanks to all for your input. I’ve been following but haven’t had time to respond due to this crazy shift work schedule of mine. 
mom sure there’s lots of questions I haven’t answered. I will try to look back and address them as I can. 

Pats2020 posted:

He has not played much travel in high school. He played for a team this summer but exposure and coaching left a lot to be desired. He hasn’t had much exposure at all for a couple reasons. 1) the league he plays in being homeschooled doesn’t draw any attention. 2) he hasn’t played travel in high school except this past summer and they’re may have been a coach or two at some of the games...  3) he hasn’t showcased or camped due to not really having anything spectacular to show. He just now feels he is starting to have something to show but it is sooo late in the game. 

He has stated he is fine with staying close to home or going far away. I get the feeling from him that he would prefer the big campus life but says small is fine. Playing ball trumps all. But playing ball at a larger, D1 type school is what he wants. Not that he won’t accept playing at a smaller school, it’s just not his first love. 

ive always felt like he had way more potential than what we have seen on the field, and now that he’s starting to realize that, he believes it even more. He has the size, body type, speed and athleticism to be a player somewhere. We just don’t know where. I understand people here wanting to curb our expectations. And I don’t disagree with many things said. But for him to come out of nowhere to throw 85-87 repeatedly when he just now started with a good instructor, just started a long toss routine, band work etc...  has us confident he has more. I know he may not. But I and others 100% believe he does. 
thanks to all for your input. I’ve been following but haven’t had time to respond due to this crazy shift work schedule of mine. 
mom sure there’s lots of questions I haven’t answered. I will try to look back and address them as I can. 

OK, thanks.  So, the big remaining dot that he probably doesn't have time to connect is to pitch effectively in front of those he is trying to attract against good hitters.  There are a lot of kids who can throw hard but either can't or haven't had enough experience getting good hitters out.  That's where it would be a huge leap for a D1, even if he continues to gain velo up closer to 90.  So, with that said, an extra year is probably a necessity if he is set on attracting D1 schools.  That can be JC, gap year or even maybe an NAIA.  If money is somewhat a factor, the in-state JC route may be the ticket.  In most states, there are some assurances that most JC classes will transfer to in-state 4 yr schools.  The whole transfer thing can be a mess when it comes to transferrable units.  This would at least somewhat minimize that.  Still, of course, you would need to make sure it works with his academic path.  And, most players are surprised at how competitive JC ball is, so playing there is no guarantee at a lot of places.  But at least he would have given it a shot and he would know.  And damage would likely be minimal if he finishes his classwork and continues on at an in-state 4-yr without baseball.

If he continues the recruiting education process and decides lower levels are acceptable, that gives him a much better chance to stick and contribute on the field.  The HA aspect still puts him in a bit of a time crunch though.  Late bloomers like your son are not uncommon at all and tend to be the guys that excel at good D3 or NAIA programs and have very rewarding college playing careers.

Last edited by cabbagedad

Your latest reply makes it more clear that what he needs most is exposure, since he has not gotten much either in his HS league or done much travel ball or showcases.  And we are now past the point where he can get any exposure before he has to make a college decision.

So at this point it really comes down to Juco to keep the dream of D1 alive, or abandon D1 and focus on getting the best education he can at a D3 that would be receptive to him being a "preferred recruit" for them.  Put together a legitimate video that shows his size, mechanics and velocity and have him sent it to coaches with his academic credentials in the header.  Something like "4.0 GPA-30ACT late riser RHP" in the message header ought to get their attention enough to review the video.  If he gets some bites, you and he can go to campus in the Spring and meet the coach and watch some games so he can gauge the competition.  He will need to really compete and get better to even make the team in the Fall, but better to have a coach support his chance at the roster than just walking on.

If you and others really believe in his potential, then go the Juco route.  He will still get a chance to go to a big school later in his college experience, maybe as a pitcher, or maybe just as a student.  Getting a chance to play college baseball is really rare and it is really hard.  If it is still a dream of his, then Juco gives him a year or two to keep the D1 dream alive.  And academically, it is where he ends up with his degree, not where he starts.

cabbagedad posted:

The only thing I'm not sure was covered... if his pitching instructor is connected at all to the target D1's and believes he can compete there, he will needs to advocate.

Instructor is connected to one D1 that is at least a possibility. He’s connected to another D1 that is not likely at all...  

when my son first went to him, he said he thinks he can PLAY at one of the smaller D1s in state. This was a couple weeks before my son throwing in front of the gun. We will definitely hope to leverage any contacts he has. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.