Skip to main content

Well it is that time of year again (at least down south). First day of practice is next Friday.

Son's (2025) team is "expected" to have another good season. All starters except for one from the 2023 Area Champion team are returning. Only lost 3 seniors total. Returners: 1 So. 4 Jr. 7 Sr.

Hope everyone is looking forward to the new season as I am.

When does everyone else start? What do you think the seasons will look like.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

We had our first official umpire training last night (FL) ;-) Oh wait - you meant the kids!!  We'll be on the field in late Jan / early Feb with season around 12-Feb.

For those that care - a couple of rule changes / adjustments... One allowing electronic communication from dugout to catcher, minor adjustment to game mgmt (unruly spectators cannot be reason for forfeit), the cheat sheet wristbands have to be single, solid color and worn on forearm, but not pitching arm (and not white, gray, or "distracting"), and a speed up rule alteration (don't need to hand the ball to umpire to place on rubber - that's a softball thing).  To "whom" something is "distracting" is a gray area which I suspect will only matter at pivotal points in the game or to get in some pitchers head.

https://www.nfhs.org/sports-re...-rules-changes-2024/

Without umpires there would be no games. You are just as important to the season. IMO

Love the new comm rule. Should make things move faster. No longer have to get the number from the coach, look at the wristband, give sign to the pitcher. Now it's hear it, give sign and go. This should make pitchers that like to work fast (like mine when he pitches) a little happier.

Still early conditioning/lifting/open gym phase here with tryouts in late February.  Son, a 2026, played JV last year and has a very decent shot at Varsity.  Still, he'll have two large grades of players ahead of him, with a large returning class of seniors.  Large public high school, so you are considered lucky to just make a team at his school.  He is just working hard so he earns the chance to play as much as possible. 

Tryouts are in the beginning of March here.  Winter workouts going well.  Tuesday, coach will list who the starters are going to be as of that day and will update it every two weeks.  First scrimmage is March 11th.  Son has been hitting really well and doing well defensively too.  He is only a 2027 so most likely will be a crossover (jv and varsity) although the coach did tell him he will be giving a couple of the seniors a run for their money.  I’m excited to say the least.

@PTWood posted:

Not a fan of this approach. Playing little mind games for no discernible reason in a sport that doesn't work that way. Plus, I feel like it's hard enough to make decisions after a whole preseason of trying out and working out. Why do that to yourself every week?

Also, not a fan of this, specifically posting a roster.  And 100% agree, baseball is not like other sports and motivation in this manner is not conducive to development.  I've seen coaches use this little mind game to give the kids he already knows are making the team a "kick in the pants" at what ends up being at the expense of the players he "acknowledges" (gaslighting).

I think if you are going to have winter practices you should also be having conversations with those participating in them, since these are the real tryouts anyway.  Expectations and evaluations can be handled in private with goals.

Kids know when a coach is full of BS because their actions don't follow in line with their words.

Up here, tryouts will be late march, season starts first week of April.  Winter practices before school and strength training after school have been going on since Late November.

@TxballDad posted:

Well it is that time of year again (at least down south). First day of practice is next Friday.

Son's (2025) team is "expected" to have another good season. All starters except for one from the 2023 Area Champion team are returning. Only lost 3 seniors total. Returners: 1 So. 4 Jr. 7 Sr.

Hope everyone is looking forward to the new season as I am.

When does everyone else start? What do you think the seasons will look like.

It's funny how when your son graduates you pretty much lose all insight or knowledge of what is going on in the high school baseball world. LOL. I have talked to a few people about the season here and there, but really haven't followed much. I guess when the season starts, I will go watch a couple of Woodlands games when I am not coaching (got roped back into travel ball). But from what I am hearing on this side of town, Tomball looks to be loaded this year with Arrambide and the young players they had last year. I hear they have another round of freshman studs this year and more in the pipeline for the next year or two.

With the returning players son's team has, this may be the best team in a long time and the best team they will have for some time coming. There doesn't seem to be a lot of players in the pipeline coming in (could be wrong). The team made the top 30 in the state list for division. Don't think that has happened before. If the boys can stay heathy and focused, it could turn out to be a great year. They seem to have all the pieces this year.

@HSDad22 posted:

I think if you are going to have winter practices you should also be having conversations with those participating in them, since these are the real tryouts anyway.  Expectations and evaluations can be handled in private with goals.

They are absolutely real tryouts.  Firmly convinced that the coaches last year knew heading into official tryouts what they wanted to do, based on how it played out.  The coaches had very much already sized up the boys based on the winter workouts.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.