Skip to main content

My son takes the summer off. We live in Phoenix and we tend to do things backwards due to the heat. I have already recieved some calls about his playing in tournaments this summer and I have said no.

My question is, is it all right to play as long as he doesn't pitch, or should we just shut it completely down until September?

My son would play everyday if I let him. He is a large 13U.
Hustle never has a bad day.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I would say let him play. As long as he isn't pitching, allowing him to play everyday improves him in MANY ways (gives him more ab's, more game ground balls, and I believe improves his baseball instincts, among many other things.)

I think that is part of what makes the south have such a great advantage over the north. You guys get to play year round, we have at best an 9 month window (2 of those months in the freezing cold)! I envy your son being able to play everyday, year round!
Last edited by INshocker
Doughnutman:

I struggle with the same for my son. He would play year round, but I want to be careful that he doesn't burn himself out. We played a light tournament schedule last fall/winter, and it has definitely paid off in terms of him being ahead come spring time. That said, I also encouraged him to play other "seasonal" sports - s****r and basketball - which I think paid off as well in terms of expanding his social boundaries (new and old friends) as well as playing/enjoying other sports.
Last edited by Seamhead4Ever
I am huge fan of playing other sports, especially at a young age. A lot of transferable skills come from other sports that help kids become athletes.

The large classification schools have teams primarily made up of specialized players, meaning that you have very few high school kids that can play 2-3 different sports at a high level. Smaller schools get some 3 sport participants but you just rarely see the three sport stars these days. I know there are exceptions, but it seems by middle school many kids decide that they are going to make their mark in the sport that they have had the most success with and forget about participating in others.

I know this was a little off topic but its something that I have only started noticing as my kids get a little older. My son has friends ask him at 9, "Which sport are you going to play in high school" like there isn't the choice. I have also heard many parents say that they wanted their kid to concentrate on just one sport too, so I guess that is where it all comes from.
I believe this answer is different for almost everyone.

2006 was the year where we completely shut it down for the fall until about February. Up to that time my son was increasing at the rate of about 1 mph per month (for two years). The result: He flat-lined for 12 months. This fall he did not pitch but, he did participate in a number of indoor baseball sessions on weekends right through to the spring involving a lot of throwing. Result was an 8 mph increase over seven months.

There's a lot going on in a young kid's body and head at this age (12U). So, it may not be all attributable to the fall work. My hunch is that a lot of the improvement is though...

I believe "burn out" is related to "feelings of some form of failure" or the "loss of exhilaration when playing" or "feelings of negative pressure from parents". Be mindful of this stuff and you should be OK under all kids of activity.

Baseball has been a big adventure in our case with a lot more than just the game being learned.
Pitchers in particular should shut down for 2-3 months per year. Physically it's probably OK to play year round w/o pitching, but I think it is good for "kids to be kids" and develop a wider range of interest. My son continues to play both basketball and baseball in HS, with Baseball his primary sport.

There will be enough pressure to play year round and only one sport once he reaches HS so I would encourage the time off and/or participation in other sports now. Do some fun stuff as a family that you might not otherwise do.

Go see the Dodgers beat the Diamondbacks......Darn those snakes.
In middle school mine shut down every summer, played other sports. Due to the heat, it became indoor basketball and bowling and early morning golf. Surf camp one summer. he actually won that rip due to a project he completed for middle school. He came home with a classic case of sea lice, but did he have fun. Roll Eyes

Going into sophmore year was the first summer he really played in summer (but not that much). He probably practiced more than played for a few tournies. Same for junior summer. Senior summer was the first time he played all summer in his whole life.
I am not sure if this would have happened if he was a position player even though he had opportunities to play position, he just wanted to do other things and we encouraged him to do so.

I am sure that most of our sons could play everyday, and I'd rather see mine playing than sitting around or hanging out getting in trouble. But baseball consumes so much of your life as you move onto college and beyond, I am glad that he had that time off as a young player.
I think we're sending somewhat of a mixed message here. Letting "kids be kids" MAY be allowing them to play baseball all year or allowing them not play baseball at all. What kids do when they are just being kids varies from kid to kid. Most of the time when I hear parents talking about "kids being kids" I conjure up thoughts of parents making excuses for their kid doing something they shouldn't. Like egging the neighbor's house or much worse. I think parenting is guiding and directing your child in all aspects of his development so I'm NOT a big advocate on allowing kids to be kids in today's society. I admit I influenced my son's play time (sports) by supporting and encouraging those things I felt were in his best interest and making it difficult for him to do those things I didn't want him to do. He found it impossible to skateboard in our gravel driveway. Some things I supported (like hunting) didn't interest him so I know my influence was not overbearing. For instance our basement always had a least a 5 gallon bucket of baseballs with bats and gloves everywhere. The one lone s****r ball he owned always had a pin hole in it. Wink

I never encouraged my son to "shut down" his throwing completely but if I had it to do over I think I would change. He always had a strong arm and never had arm fatigue. Granted he didn't play fall ball and didn't throw much while playing football but sunny days would find him tossing a baseball with friends. Maybe this was enough of a rest to allow him to recover ---- I don't know for sure. He suffered a broken index finger on his throwing hand as a freshman in college that required surgery and pins which shut him down completely for a few months. When he was released to throw he told me he was amazed at the "freshness" of his throwing arm. The arm is like anything else. Too much use and you damage it and too little use and you fail to develop it. I think a "well used" pitcher should allow his arm to recover during October November December and then start a arm conditioning program in January in preparation for the start of mid to late Feb practice.
Fungo
Last edited by Fungo
Good post Fungo.
I don't think it matters when the shut down is, but I do strongly beleive there should be, especially for younger players. Here it was always summer, just too hot and too rainy with start up back in the fall. I was never an advocate for complete shut down couch potatoe kind of shut down. Mine was still out there being active and tossing a ball, not pitching.

Talented players can leave off where they picked up, or not even play much and still get ahead. One of my son's team mates never pitched until junior year of HS and 45th pick of the draft out of HS 21 and in AA. Players who need to work a bit harder can improve through conditioning and tossing if needed. There's too much pitching to do later on.

In college when he played the cape, he shut down in fall, didn't even participate in fall practice, but did toss. Also, practice ended in October, you shut down until december when you began preparing for when you returned to campus in January. If pitching all year is healthy, why the shut down?

milb pitchers pitching fall leagues usually have to stay behind and get prepared in extended. I would think that tells one that it's not safe to pitch all year round.
I have never met a BB player who wants to take the summer/winter or any time off. Just never realised their where guys who were passionate about the game that could shut down
I find it interesting that some confuse the passion to play with how good a player is. I know guys who have played MLB and are still playing and working out all year after their cxareers are over.
Last edited by BobbleheadDoll
What does having passion for the game have to do with shutting down for awhile?

Many young pitchers don't take time off, when not pitching they will play position.

I just read that a young position player for the Nats tore up his shoulder and requires surgery. After struggling for some years, finally doing well, now a setback. Injury happens to everyone. The only advice I can give, especially for a young pitcher, is to save it as you get older. Like Fungo, I too look back and think if maybe he played too much at times. The load when you reach college for a pitcher who can get the job done, without a good coach, can be too much. Plus, once you reach that point, it's completely out of your control.

Donutman's son is 13. He asked a question. I am assuming like many of us whose son has a passion for the game and may show some future potential, he would like to see his son earn a scholarship to college or maybe play beyond that point. The only way, IMO, to achieve that is to remain healthy, doesn't matter who you are or where your passion lies. At 12, 13 etc. most of our boys live and die for the game of baseball. That really doesn't equate to future potential or success.
My son loved every sport, at 12, 13 one day he wanted to be a baseball player, the next a basketball player, next a professional golfer. I think that is a healthy normal attitude for most. As long as he was staying active to us it didn't matter.

The funny part is, we didn't even think twice about it, or worried if it would put him behind, at 13.
TPM I remember my son at 12-13 and most of his teammates. To stop them from playing ball would be like punishing them.
My son also was a great basketball player and he did both. He often would practice basketball and then go straight to BB. He was never injured in either sport except for an ankle sprain in basketball.
Passion for a sport has nothing to do with being a future prospect.
I have seen pitchers who got scholarships who injured themselves playing a position. One of my son's closest friends was on the JR Nike golf tour for a few years and also got a scholarship for BB. He broke his thrpowing arm sliding into 2nd base. He lived and played at the college level. Had pro scouts all over him at 18yo. His injury was a minor set back.
The point isd that playing ball all year depends on the player. Some will take time off and some won't. This stuff about wearing your arm out is a myth. If you adhear to proper training rituals and game practices you will be good to go. I agree that some can take time off and start right back up but most can't or won't.
The problem with kids who take "time off" is that they do not spend enough time and effort in getting themselves back into "baseball shape" before playing games---they think they are invincible and can just walk back on the field and be where they were before they took time off---basketball shape is not baseball shape
I agree but you are talking 13 year olds who should have limited conditioning. That's where the parent comes in. I also agree with Inshocker, as players begin to get older and eventually catch up to each other that is where taking time off and conditioning is most important.

I also stated time off shouldn't be spent on the couch.

Pitchers, don't need time off? I am seeing many top 4 year college pitchers not take time off, big cape stars and their stock has fallen while those that had lessor college roles have moved forward. Why?

Why so many more surgeries for younger players these days? If one can control the situation to perfection (enough rest times between innings, shorter pitch counts., etc) that would be a perfect world. And a lot depends on the pitcher, his physical makeup, his vleocity, his position within the game.

BHD,
I am not sure where this passion thing comes into discussion. Having passion for anything should not be confused with wanting to do other things, especially for younger players. I don't like the message sent, if you take time off you have no passion.

It also depends where you want to go and how you want to arrive. Not until mid HS did son begin pitching year round, where it most likely counted the most. What is the benefit of pitching year round at 13. What is the benfit of playing year round at 13? The object is to make it to HS to get a scholarship, through college healthy and not lose valuable playing time.

I disagree that you cannot wear your arm out playing 24/7. Especially for pitchers who carry heavier loads than others as they mature.
Last edited by TPM
TPM where did I say 24/7 ?

My son played on as many as 4 teams in a season and it was his choice. I couldn't stop him if I tried.
Passion is loving to play the game and being with your friends as part of a team. Basketball at the level he was at is a tough grind but it uses different muscles. His former coach took a 4A school in Arizona to their 1st state championship in 40 years. His coachingwas superior and when he retired here he was asked to coach the school in Arizona. My son's HS played them that year and beat them and they are not nearly as good as when he played.
I would like to say thanks for the all of the opinions. There are a lot of good reasons to play or not play. I talked to my son the last couple of days and he says that he wants to play basketball this summer and start baseball back up with his travel team in September. He says his arm feels tired. We will take off June, July, and August and then start getting ready in Sept for our first tournament as 8th graders that is at the end of the month.

Good enough for me. Lets play some hoops and thanks again for the information.

BHD,
What exactly does who your son played basketball for have to do with this post. I am not impressed with playing 4 team in a season. IMO that is a poor example of what one should do.

this is about a 13 year old, obviously a bit tired and wanting to do something else for the summer.
TPM I couldn't care less about your home spun opinions.
The point is he worked hard at both sports under excellent coaching and never would consider giving up any BB he could play.
Again you attack me which I find hilarious. makes me feel good because I see through your lack of knowledge. Again you start a war without provocation.

By the way the response was to TR and not everything is about you.
Last edited by BobbleheadDoll
Yes I did and not about the topic you made nasty comments about. I also wasn't rude and ignorrant to you.
I corected your 24/7 comment which was inaccurate but I was not rude unlike you.
I guess you have special priveleges and get away with it. If TR or I said some of the **** you spew we would get our little knockles rapped.

Again you unrail a thread with impunity.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.