Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The rules take effect in 08 but the roster is for the championship (spring) roster which is 09. The counters are in effect fall 08 so guys getting scholarships are limited to 27 fall of 08. Walk ons are not counters so the fall roster can be larger than 35 but must be trimmed to 35 for the 09 spring roster. All fall roster guys must be reported to the NCAA but only the counters are deemed to be on the spring roster. 27 is the max for 08 counters.
You will see many teams have more than 35 on their current roster for 08 spring. I believe UNLV has 37-38 rostered this spring which was a typical roster size ecept for a few who had 40+ before.
I think that some people are thinking that the 09 spring roster size would prompt all coaches to not recruit so many players but there is nothing so far to stop them.
Nobody's getting cut. Some of those (5) will be redshirted. They do have 7 signed for next year though, so somebody probably won't be there in the spring, assuming everybody shows up in the fall, which rarely happens anyway. They'll keep the best 35 next fall, like everybody else, with some 1st or 2nd year kids possibly headed to juco. It's the new trickle down theory.
Last edited by Dad04
LL A player can only transfer to NAIA or juco at the end of fall AND play in the spring. Transfering to NCAA D1, D2 or D3 means sitting out and probably losing a year on the field. Nobody will do that, imo. Selling their souls? They don't make the rules, I don't think. No one there, or committed for next year was mislead. Nothing in life is guaranteed either.
Last edited by Dad04
OP, one of life's little mysteries.

Well, I did the math. 42 rostered + 7 signees, less 7 seniors, less 2 jr's projected in the top 5 draft rounds, less one RS Jr with TJS in January = 39 if nobody turns pro out of high school, everybody shows up, and is eligible, in August (never happens). Is that bad?
Last edited by Dad04
quote:
Originally posted by Old Pitcher:
Dad04,

As long as OPSon is one of the 35 next spring, I'll be happy!! Wink

OP - based off of my experience, you may not be happy. I am guessing if you are hanging around this site, your son has never sat the bench in his life. I hope he gets to start as a freshman but if perhaps he is the 35th kid on the roster, he will have to develop coping skills that he has never had to develop before. Can't say that is a bad thing however. Oftentimes, adversity molds champions - on the field and/or later in life.
I think what CD is saying is that there area lot of great players on the bench. Freshmen should be prepared to give deal with bench time . It depends on a lot of factors and one of the things freshmen have trouble with is sitting when there are some great players who are in front of them. Most freshmen were outstanding at their HS and they have to be prepared to deal with what has never happened to them.
I don't think he was just referring to you specifically. Also his refence to hanging around this site refers to thye fact that the freshman plight has been well documented here. Some star players had to wait their turn so it is wise to be prepared just in case.
Last edited by BobbleheadDoll
OP,
I don't think that CD was in any way being unkind but offering some good advice. Sometimes what we really mean to say doesn't always come out in the way we write it and then sometimes we get called on the carpet for not expressing our thoughts well.

I think BHD did a good job of explaining.

Not only do our kids have to develop coping skills, but we do also. Big Grin

I am sure your son will make the 35, tell him to work hard and go for the starting 9!
Wink
Last edited by TPM
quote:
Originally posted by TPM:
OP,
I don't think that CD was in any way being unkind but offering some good advice. Sometimes what we really mean to say doesn't always come out in the way we write it and then sometimes we get called on the carpet for not expressing our thoughts well.

I think BHD did a good job of explaining.

Not only do our kids have to develop coping skills, but we do also. Big Grin

I am sure your son will make the 35, tell him to work hard and go for the starting 9!
Wink

AaBbCcDdEeFf......
Last edited by thats-a-balk!
quote:
Originally posted by TPM:
OP,

TPM,

Believe me, I know what you mean here!! My foot has been in my mouth more times than not on this site!!

Thank you for your time explaining. You know these guys a lot better than I do on the General Items part.

Take care,

OP
OP - sorry for the misunderstandings that I have caused. I interpreted your comment that you would be "happy if he made the 35 man roster" the same as you would be "happy if he were the 35th man on the roster."

My comment about sitting on the bench had nothing to do with sitting on the bench in college. I am guessing your son has never sat the bench in high school and thus would not be happy sitting the bench in college which he would be doing if he were the 35th man. Now I see how you meant your comment and for misinterpreting that, I am sorry.
Last edited by ClevelandDad
quote:
Originally posted by switchitter:
Two questions:
1) What is the roster limit for spring '08?

No Roster Size limit until spring 09

2) Why do people refer to spring of '08 for college as "championship season"? Are there two different spring seasons in college--one being spring '08 championship season and one being spring '08 regular season? It would seem to me that there can only be one spring in college.

Championship Season, or Championship Session, is what the NCAA refers to as what's commonly known as the spring season. There is a fall season also, where teams are allowed to play each other, but their results are not counted towards the RPI in the Championship Season that determines NCAA tournament bids. Teams are allowed to play 56 games per academic year. If they play intercollegiate games during the fall season, they count towards the 56 total and only the remaining number may be played during the championship session.
quote:
Originally posted by ClevelandDad:
OP - sorry for the misunderstandings that I have caused. I interpreted your comment that you would be "happy if he made the 35 man roster" the same as you would be "happy if he were the 35th man on the roster."

My comment about sitting on the bench had nothing to do with sitting on the bench in college. I am guessing your son has never sat the bench in high school and thus would not be happy sitting the bench in college which he would be doing if he were the 35th man. Now I see how you meant your comment and for misinterpreting that, I am sorry.

CD...

I promise, no problem! You are exactly right, I was just saying I hope he's ON the 35 man roster. I know he'll do plenty of sitting the bench because he's a pitcher. He'll only be throwing on the weekends! Wink Big Grin

Thank you for the apology, but you didn't need to apologize.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.