Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by BobbleheadDoll:
04 you can transfer to the other classification of colleges from a D1 and not sit. You only have to sit D1 to D1.

Not according to the NCAA 2007-2008 Transfer Guide, if I read it right.

quote:
Exceptions (from sitting out 1 year) for Divisions I and II

If this is your first transfer …If you have never transferred before from a four-year school, you might be able to use the one-time transfer exception to play right away at a Division I or II school. To use this exception, you must:

1. Be playing a sport other than basketball in Division I, men's ice hockey in Division I or football in Division I. Note that in football you may be eligible to use this exception if:

a. You transfer from a Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly Division I-A) school to a football championship subdivision (formerly Division I-AA) school and have at least two seasons of competition remaining; or

b. You transfer from a football championship subdivision (formerly I-AA) school that offers athletics scholarships to a football championship subdivision (formerly Division I-AA) that does not offer
athletics scholarships.

Note: If you do not qualify for this exception due to any of the conditions in Subsection 1 above, you may be able to use the exception if you were not recruited by your first four-year school and have never received an athletics scholarship.

Important Note: If you play Division I baseball, you will not be eligible to use this exception after August 1, 2008.

It is important that the rule be understood. It doesn't say...unless you are transfering to D2. I take it to mean regardless of division going to, you miss a year if you took one dollar of scholly money.

http://www.ncaa.org/library/general/transfer_guide/2007...8_transfer_guide.pdf
Last edited by Dad04
It appears they are referring to D1 & D11 and have put a time cap on eligibility to take the exemption if transferring D! to D1 and D11 to D11. You always neede a release in the past. Yes you can't have received BB money to be eligible for the exemption..
I believe Juco, NAIA and D111 are not covered by this rule. I also believe the way I read it that it does refer to transfers within the divison.
Last edited by BobbleheadDoll
Thats true. They cover d3 in a later section. You can transfer to D3 and not sit out if you played at school #1, if you are academically and athletically eligible at school #1. If you never played, there is no restriction.

You can still do a 4-2-4 transfer if you spend a year at the two-year and graduate.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.