Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by wraggArm:
Is "dead arm" the clinical term for "doesn't really throw very hard"?

It's usually pretty easy to tell whether a kid got moved down. He'll be playing in the JV game (or sitting on the JV bench) in the game that's in the very same place right before the Varsity game. Or you could ask his Momma. Chances are she's sitting right across the breakfast table from you.

BTW, the three starters for the Marcus district games have been Lumpp, Massingale, and Lumpp. Not sure how your guy has had two "not too hot" district starts.

I Didn't know you were the expert and have seen this kid throw. Or that your the world's top notch doctor and know what dead arm is. He played in the JV game today and pitched awfully, but everyone has bad outings. Its not like Varsity played well. I think a 12 run 6 inning says enough about the bullpen of Marcus. Getting beat 16-3 is harsh enough. But FMHS made it look easy. And I didnt mean pithing "starts" i ment starts in the lineup. But maybe you should ask Senato, chances are he is sitting right across the dinner table from you.
quote:
Originally posted by All5Tools:

I Didn't know you were the expert and have seen this kid throw. Or that your the world's top notch doctor and know what dead arm is. He played in the JV game today and pitched awfully, but everyone has bad outings. Its not like Varsity played well. I think a 12 run 6 inning says enough about the bullpen of Marcus. Getting beat 16-3 is harsh enough. But FMHS made it look easy. And I didnt mean pithing "starts" i ment starts in the lineup. But maybe you should ask Senato, chances are he is sitting right across the dinner table from you.

Looks like I may have touched on a raw nerve. Interesting, most HSBB sports mavens tend to keep more of a disinterested 3rd party perspective. Can't wait to read your column on this kid.

Seriously, though...good luck to him. With his size, he probably will be phenomenal. And I think Marcus needs him to be great. (Or at least that's what Funneldrill's troubled eyes seemed to say as I gazed at him through the candlelight this evening at dinner).
SLC over Hebron 9-8 in 9 innings Friday.

SLC took a 6-3 lead into the 7th but Hebron got 4 runs in the top half to take a 7-6 lead. SLC pushed one across in the bottom half to tie it at 7. Both teams scored 1 in the 8th and finally SLC was able to hold Hebron scoreless in the top of the 9th and scored one of their own as light was fading at Dragon field (no lights and doubtful any more baseball could have been played yesterday).

Hebron is definitley better than their 1-3 district record (2-run loss to FM and two 1-run losses to SLC and Coppell). SLC is 3-1 in the district.
Last edited by doubleday
Looks like I may have touched on a raw nerve. Interesting, most HSBB sports mavens tend to keep more of a disinterested 3rd party perspective. Can't wait to read your column on this kid.

[/QUOTE]

I just say the truth. I like good baseball and good baseball players. If Gill would be hitting above .100 this year I'd be all about how good he is. But its hard to talk about the Marcus team when they are the laughing stock of 6-5A...
quote:
Originally posted by longballs:
All5tools, sit back and " ride the coat tail"

I'll ride FMHS coat tails. The starting pitching they have is utterly amazing. Adams and Bruce might be the best 1,2 punch in the Region and clearly FM is the best in 6-5A. Their hitting isn't something to mess with either. Their is your "riding the coat tails"
quote:
Originally posted by txdad1315:
HRKB states "phenom and JV" in the same sentence. I may be wrong but that sounds like a contridiction in terms. I can think of two phenoms in the last ten years...Beavan and Kershaw. If he is that good then next year for Marcus will truly be the promised land

txdad, That was my point...it is a contradiction. If you check the posts I was not the one who originally called him a phenom...someone asked what happened to the "6'5" phenom" and I was answering their question.
After reading the posts in this thread it is evident that most people think that 6-5A is not as solid from top to bottom as it was last year. I would have to agree, but I would still put most of the 6-5A teams above what I see in other districts. FMHS is legit and since they beat SLC 5 times in the past 2 years I would say they are at the top of the heap in the district. However, I am very impressed with SLC and Hebron. Regardless of what's happened up to this point, there is little doubt that FMHS can be beat by SLC, Hebron, or Coppell on any given day. The district is still at least 4 teams deep. Those four teams should be the 6-5A playoff teams and do quite well once playoffs begin.
I'd say the ride is over at this point. But Funnelcakes (sorry, but that's too funny not use) still has a little bit of deny-ability with this top class since his system didn't develop them. The real test will be when his first "group" shows up on Varsity. Flower Mound's underclassmen are going to be a real handful. And who knows what's going to come bubbling up from the new schools after the re-alignment.
quote:
Originally posted by doubleday:
I never really understood the FD bashing either. In the past when he provided input to various threads on this site, I really appreciated his point of view (that of a HS baseball coach). Just like most jobs/careers...all of them seem a lot easier when you're on the outside looking in. Cut the guy some slack.

I agree with you DD... I have had the previledge of watching Coach Senato take a fairly mediocre team in Mansfield and turn them into district contenders. I also saw how he treated and taught his kids to be good fundamental baseball players as well as well mannered adults. And he was the rival team's coach...

I don't know about "riding the coattails" but I will assume that FMM was so talented anyone could coach them last year. Anyone who makes that statement doesn't know very much about coaching and I don't mean coaching from the stands.

Like I said in the previous post. I have never seen any team in this district play but I can tell you Coach Senato can coach my kid anytime.
Crazy night for sure...ugly game all around for SLC (hitting, pitching, fielding...you name it) Hats off to Duran (BTW he did officially give up 1 run as the leadoff double in the 7th scored). Congrats LHS and hopefully the Dragons will learn a lesson from last night.

BTW...the LHS fans in the stands were gracious hosts, but the clowns over the left field fence are classless. It's high school ball...no reason to get obscene and personal with the opposing players on the field.
Originally SLC had 3 district road games scheduled this week all at 7:00PM: Tues (LHS), Thur (Coppell), Fri (Marcus). Heard last night that Thursday night's game would be moved to Saturday night based on a UIL rule prohibiting 3 games during the 5 day school week (not actually sure of the rule). Based on the weather forecast, it sure would make a lot more sense to try and move Friday's game to Saturday if possible.
quote:
Originally SLC had 3 district road games scheduled this week all at 7:00PM: Tues (LHS), Thur (Coppell), Fri (Marcus). Heard last night that Thursday night's game would be moved to Saturday night based on a UIL rule prohibiting 3 games during the 5 day school week (not actually sure of the rule). Based on the weather forecast, it sure would make a lot more sense to try and move Friday's game to Saturday if possible.

We have 3 games (Tue, Thur, Frid) this week too!..Haven't heard anything from our coach about moving games.
quote:
Originally posted by HRKB:
quote:

We have 3 games (Tue, Thur, Frid) this week too!..Haven't heard anything from our coach about moving games.

The reason SLC has to change their Thursday game to Saturday is that due to all of the SNOW this year, they took off too many days for snow days so the kids have to go to school on Friday. UIL only allows playing games on ONE school night during the week. SLC played on Tuesday so they can't play again until Friday night. Schools that aren't having classes on Friday don't have this problem.
quote:
Thurs:
Marcus @ LHS 7:00
FM @ Hebron 7:00

11-1 Flower Mound over Hebron
8-0 Marcus over Lewisville

Who served it up to you guys from Hebron? I know you had Millard on the hill.
In the Marcus vs LHS it was WP: Massingale LP: Munden
To many errors with runners on, plus a ricochet off the wall down the right field line that kicked back into RC gap area scored 2 and that started the downfall, plus no sticks at all for LHS just couldn't get it going.
Last edited by Out in LF
Marcus over SLC 7-6 in 10 wild innings

Marcus jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the 1st. SLC battled back and scored 2 in top of 7th to take a 6-5 lead. Marcus pushed one across in the bottom of the 7th to send the game to extras. The 8th and 9th were scoreless but both teams loaded the bases in different innings. After an error allowed the Marcus lead off hitter to reach in the bottom of the 10th, a walk off double scored him.

Great win for Marcus...equally tough loss for the Dragons. The game lasted 3 1/2 hours.
quote:
Marcus over SLC 7-6 in 10 wild innings

Marcus jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the 1st. SLC battled back and scored 2 in top of 7th to take a 6-5 lead. Marcus pushed one across in the bottom of the 7th to send the game to extras. The 8th and 9th were scoreless but both teams loaded the bases in different innings. After an error allowed the Marcus lead off hitter to reach in the bottom of the 10th, a walk off double scored him.

Great win for Marcus...equally tough loss for the Dragons. The game lasted 3 1/2 hours.

Sounds like a good one. Where does that put Southlake in the standings? It appears that it's Flower Mound and then a dogfight for 2,3,4. I'm sure Southlake didn't think they'd suffer some of the losses in district that they have. Time to panic for the Dragons?
quote:
Originally posted by Out in LF:
quote:
Thurs:
Marcus @ LHS 7:00
FM @ Hebron 7:00

11-1 Flower Mound over Hebron
8-0 Marcus over Lewisville

Who served it up to you guys from Hebron? I know you had Millard on the hill.
In the Marcus vs LHS it was WP: Massingale LP: Munden
To many errors with runners on, plus a ricochet off the wall down the right field line that kicked back into RC gap area scored 2 and that started the downfall, plus no sticks at all for LHS just couldn't get it going.

The Hebron/FM game was really a better game than the score shows. It was tied 1-1 through 5, and FM was up 4-1 at the end of 6 I think. Harris started for Hebron and held FM solidly in check for 5 innings, giving up only a couple of hits. He appeared to tire in the 6th and ran into control problems, that turned into 3 runs with 2-3 walks in the inning. At the end of 6, it was a respectable 4-1 game still with both teams having 4 or so hits. The wheels fell of in the 7th for Hebron after Harris left the game, with the score ending at 11-1.
Actually, the Morning News mis-reported the Coppell-Hebron game (won by Coppell, 8-3) as a non-district contest. So, it doesn't show the actual district standings correctly. They are:

Flower Mound 7-0
Coppell 4-3
Marcus 4-3
Southlake 3-4
Lewisville 2-5
Hebron 1-6

Coppell currently as the tie-breaker edge with a win over Marcus. But, these two teams meet Tuesday night at Coppell. The winner will be in second by themselves at 5-3.

A very tough district. Flower Mound has certainly separated themselves thus far, but it will be tough to get through unbeaten.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.