Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hebron 5 LHS 0
WP-Sawyer LP-Balch
Sawyer went 5 complete 12K's had a long inning in the 3rd with bases loaded, threw around 40 pitches that inning. 2 innings for Clounch.
Balch-6 innings gave up a solo HR in the bottom of the first inning along with a couple more runs to make it 3-0 then settled down but the bat's weren't there with bases loaded twice in both the 3rd and 6th innings.
quote:
Originally posted by longballs:
Going to be hard for Marcus , since the can't ride the coat tail any more.

Hmmm...1-2 in district play already. Starting to wonder if lb's got a point, here ???

What ever happened to All5Tool's dominant 6'5" phenom?

I haven't seen any of their games, but I'm wondering how Gill by himself could have made up the 7 run deficit to SL, or even the 4 run loss to Coppell.
quote:
Originally posted by cheapseats:
Is Shane Henderson pitching/playing for FM? - I don't think I have seen his name in a box score this season.

I've heard that he's still working back from and injury. They're hoping he's ready by late in district play or possibly for a playoff run.

Time will tell but the pitching staff at FM has looked pretty solid so far. Both the #1 and #2 starters have thrown 2-hit shutouts and have gone deep in district play games so far.
Henderson is coming off arm surgery. Word has it he might be back later in the year. He can be a beast when he's on his game. Obviously Gill is missed at Marcus as a pitcher and hitter. Will be interesting to see how district shapes up after next week. SL looks solid but FM seems to have the strongest team with really good starting pitching and depth. Coppell is pitching by committee, but may hang tough with the way they've hit the ball. Look forward to watching more baseball!
FM has the best pitching staff in this district. With two proven starters in Bruce and Adams, and a deep bullpen, its going to fun watching this team go through district and make a playoff run. The only other team I see competing with FM in district right now is SLC. FM and SLC are the undisputed heavyweights in this district, and it should be interesting to see where both teams end up. Hopeful long playoff runs from both teams. I believe that pitching will be the key to a district title.
Last edited by xPitcherx
Agree that FM has the edge right now. In the matchups thus far between FM and SLC, FM has yet to see SLC's #1 or #2 starter (BTW I hate to rank their pitching staff as all of SLC's pitchers are very good...just going by ERA, win/loss record and velocity). SLC has already seen FM's #1 and #2 (both wins for FM as Bruce and Adams were very good in those games), but the familiarity could help the SLC hitters the next two times around in district play. We shall see.

Coppell is certainly still a very good team even without a dominant arm, will win their share of games and should make the playoffs. With the injury to Gill at Marcus and the improvement in Hebron, the 4th district playoff spot is up for grabs between the two IMHO. There's still 12 district games left so a lot can happen...just early district observations.
Last edited by doubleday
Here is how they rank.

1. Flower Mound - Bruce is best pitcher in district. Adams can hold his own. Even with a sluggish start, best offense in the district too. Jones looks to be the leader of the line up.

2. Southlake - Fundamentally sound. O'Connor can beat anybody when he's on. Hind catcher is solid all the way.

3. Coppell - Offense is best defense. Light on the mound but tall at the plate. Toth supplies spark at front end of line up.

4. Hebron - Sawyer will get them into the playoffs.

5. Lewisville - Hard nosed little bunch and a coach that's been around the block. Just never much talent in Farmer land.

6. Marcus - Although back in the pack, Boyd has shown power. What a difference a year makes for this group. Confused
Last edited by Pick Johnson
[QUOTE]Originally posted by wraggArm:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by longballs:

QUOTE]

The kids got dead arm and didnt look too hot in his first two district starts. Didn't see him this tuesday vs Coppell so maybe he got moved down. But considering how Marcus has hit the ball lately with only Boyd, Salazar, and Votolato they could use some bats. *Edited by moderator*
Last edited by Panther Dad
Is "dead arm" the clinical term for "doesn't really throw very hard"?

It's usually pretty easy to tell whether a kid got moved down. He'll be playing in the JV game (or sitting on the JV bench) in the game that's in the very same place right before the Varsity game. Or you could ask his Momma. Chances are she's sitting right across the breakfast table from you.

BTW, the three starters for the Marcus district games have been Lumpp, Massingale, and Lumpp. Not sure how your guy has had two "not too hot" district starts.
Last edited by wraggArm
quote:
Originally posted by wraggArm:

It's usually pretty easy to tell whether a kid got moved down. He'll be playing in the JV game (or sitting on the JV bench) in the game that's in the very same place right before the Varsity game. Or you could ask his Momma. Chances are she's sitting right across the breakfast table from you.

BTW, the three starters for the Marcus district games have been Lumpp, Massingale, and Lumpp. Not sure how your guy has had two "bad" district starts.

Ouch...
quote:
quote:
Going to be hard for Marcus , since the can't ride the coat tail any more.

Hmmm...1-2 in district play already. Starting to wonder if lb's got a point, here ???

I haven't seen any of their games, but I'm wondering how Gill by himself could have made up the 7 run deficit to SL, or even the 4 run loss to Coppell.

The 6'5" phenom is on JV. He played on Varsity until district got going and was recently sent down. Marcus will have a very good team next year, but tough going this year.
Finally made it to a Coppell game and while some things change some things remain the same. Coppell was down 3-0 to Lewisville and had come back to score 2 runs on a triple, so the score was 3-2 and a runner on third and NO OUTS. Coach English had a guy bunt with 2 strikes, that didn't work. I had Deja Vu all over again.

I left before the game ended but it was 4-3 Lewisville when I left and the Farmers looked pretty good.
quote:

BTW, the three starters for the Marcus district games have been Lumpp, Massingale, and Lumpp. Not sure how your guy has had two "not too hot" district starts.

I Didn't know you were the expert and have seen this kid throw. Or that your the world's top notch doctor and know what dead arm is. He played in the JV game today and pitched awfully, but everyone has bad outings. Its not like Varsity played well. I think a 12 run 6 inning says enough about the bullpen of Marcus. Getting beat 16-3 is harsh enough. But FMHS made it look easy. And I didnt mean pithing "starts" i ment starts in the lineup. But maybe you should ask Senato, chances are he is sitting right across the dinner table from you.
quote:
Originally posted by All5Tools:

I Didn't know you were the expert and have seen this kid throw. Or that your the world's top notch doctor and know what dead arm is. He played in the JV game today and pitched awfully, but everyone has bad outings. Its not like Varsity played well. I think a 12 run 6 inning says enough about the bullpen of Marcus. Getting beat 16-3 is harsh enough. But FMHS made it look easy. And I didnt mean pithing "starts" i ment starts in the lineup. But maybe you should ask Senato, chances are he is sitting right across the dinner table from you.

Looks like I may have touched on a raw nerve. Interesting, most HSBB sports mavens tend to keep more of a disinterested 3rd party perspective. Can't wait to read your column on this kid.

Seriously, though...good luck to him. With his size, he probably will be phenomenal. And I think Marcus needs him to be great. (Or at least that's what Funneldrill's troubled eyes seemed to say as I gazed at him through the candlelight this evening at dinner).
SLC over Hebron 9-8 in 9 innings Friday.

SLC took a 6-3 lead into the 7th but Hebron got 4 runs in the top half to take a 7-6 lead. SLC pushed one across in the bottom half to tie it at 7. Both teams scored 1 in the 8th and finally SLC was able to hold Hebron scoreless in the top of the 9th and scored one of their own as light was fading at Dragon field (no lights and doubtful any more baseball could have been played yesterday).

Hebron is definitley better than their 1-3 district record (2-run loss to FM and two 1-run losses to SLC and Coppell). SLC is 3-1 in the district.
Last edited by doubleday
Looks like I may have touched on a raw nerve. Interesting, most HSBB sports mavens tend to keep more of a disinterested 3rd party perspective. Can't wait to read your column on this kid.

[/QUOTE]

I just say the truth. I like good baseball and good baseball players. If Gill would be hitting above .100 this year I'd be all about how good he is. But its hard to talk about the Marcus team when they are the laughing stock of 6-5A...
quote:
All5tools, sit back and " ride the coat tail"

I'll ride FMHS coat tails. The starting pitching they have is utterly amazing. Adams and Bruce might be the best 1,2 punch in the Region and clearly FM is the best in 6-5A. Their hitting isn't something to mess with either. Their is your "riding the coat tails"
quote:
Originally posted by txdad1315:
HRKB states "phenom and JV" in the same sentence. I may be wrong but that sounds like a contridiction in terms. I can think of two phenoms in the last ten years...Beavan and Kershaw. If he is that good then next year for Marcus will truly be the promised land

txdad, That was my point...it is a contradiction. If you check the posts I was not the one who originally called him a phenom...someone asked what happened to the "6'5" phenom" and I was answering their question.
After reading the posts in this thread it is evident that most people think that 6-5A is not as solid from top to bottom as it was last year. I would have to agree, but I would still put most of the 6-5A teams above what I see in other districts. FMHS is legit and since they beat SLC 5 times in the past 2 years I would say they are at the top of the heap in the district. However, I am very impressed with SLC and Hebron. Regardless of what's happened up to this point, there is little doubt that FMHS can be beat by SLC, Hebron, or Coppell on any given day. The district is still at least 4 teams deep. Those four teams should be the 6-5A playoff teams and do quite well once playoffs begin.
I'd say the ride is over at this point. But Funnelcakes (sorry, but that's too funny not use) still has a little bit of deny-ability with this top class since his system didn't develop them. The real test will be when his first "group" shows up on Varsity. Flower Mound's underclassmen are going to be a real handful. And who knows what's going to come bubbling up from the new schools after the re-alignment.
quote:
Originally posted by doubleday:
I never really understood the FD bashing either. In the past when he provided input to various threads on this site, I really appreciated his point of view (that of a HS baseball coach). Just like most jobs/careers...all of them seem a lot easier when you're on the outside looking in. Cut the guy some slack.

I agree with you DD... I have had the previledge of watching Coach Senato take a fairly mediocre team in Mansfield and turn them into district contenders. I also saw how he treated and taught his kids to be good fundamental baseball players as well as well mannered adults. And he was the rival team's coach...

I don't know about "riding the coattails" but I will assume that FMM was so talented anyone could coach them last year. Anyone who makes that statement doesn't know very much about coaching and I don't mean coaching from the stands.

Like I said in the previous post. I have never seen any team in this district play but I can tell you Coach Senato can coach my kid anytime.
Crazy night for sure...ugly game all around for SLC (hitting, pitching, fielding...you name it) Hats off to Duran (BTW he did officially give up 1 run as the leadoff double in the 7th scored). Congrats LHS and hopefully the Dragons will learn a lesson from last night.

BTW...the LHS fans in the stands were gracious hosts, but the clowns over the left field fence are classless. It's high school ball...no reason to get obscene and personal with the opposing players on the field.
Originally SLC had 3 district road games scheduled this week all at 7:00PM: Tues (LHS), Thur (Coppell), Fri (Marcus). Heard last night that Thursday night's game would be moved to Saturday night based on a UIL rule prohibiting 3 games during the 5 day school week (not actually sure of the rule). Based on the weather forecast, it sure would make a lot more sense to try and move Friday's game to Saturday if possible.
quote:
Originally SLC had 3 district road games scheduled this week all at 7:00PM: Tues (LHS), Thur (Coppell), Fri (Marcus). Heard last night that Thursday night's game would be moved to Saturday night based on a UIL rule prohibiting 3 games during the 5 day school week (not actually sure of the rule). Based on the weather forecast, it sure would make a lot more sense to try and move Friday's game to Saturday if possible.

We have 3 games (Tue, Thur, Frid) this week too!..Haven't heard anything from our coach about moving games.
quote:
Originally posted by HRKB:
quote:

We have 3 games (Tue, Thur, Frid) this week too!..Haven't heard anything from our coach about moving games.

The reason SLC has to change their Thursday game to Saturday is that due to all of the SNOW this year, they took off too many days for snow days so the kids have to go to school on Friday. UIL only allows playing games on ONE school night during the week. SLC played on Tuesday so they can't play again until Friday night. Schools that aren't having classes on Friday don't have this problem.
quote:
Thurs:
Marcus @ LHS 7:00
FM @ Hebron 7:00

11-1 Flower Mound over Hebron
8-0 Marcus over Lewisville

Who served it up to you guys from Hebron? I know you had Millard on the hill.
In the Marcus vs LHS it was WP: Massingale LP: Munden
To many errors with runners on, plus a ricochet off the wall down the right field line that kicked back into RC gap area scored 2 and that started the downfall, plus no sticks at all for LHS just couldn't get it going.
Last edited by Out in LF
Marcus over SLC 7-6 in 10 wild innings

Marcus jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the 1st. SLC battled back and scored 2 in top of 7th to take a 6-5 lead. Marcus pushed one across in the bottom of the 7th to send the game to extras. The 8th and 9th were scoreless but both teams loaded the bases in different innings. After an error allowed the Marcus lead off hitter to reach in the bottom of the 10th, a walk off double scored him.

Great win for Marcus...equally tough loss for the Dragons. The game lasted 3 1/2 hours.
quote:
Marcus over SLC 7-6 in 10 wild innings

Marcus jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the 1st. SLC battled back and scored 2 in top of 7th to take a 6-5 lead. Marcus pushed one across in the bottom of the 7th to send the game to extras. The 8th and 9th were scoreless but both teams loaded the bases in different innings. After an error allowed the Marcus lead off hitter to reach in the bottom of the 10th, a walk off double scored him.

Great win for Marcus...equally tough loss for the Dragons. The game lasted 3 1/2 hours.

Sounds like a good one. Where does that put Southlake in the standings? It appears that it's Flower Mound and then a dogfight for 2,3,4. I'm sure Southlake didn't think they'd suffer some of the losses in district that they have. Time to panic for the Dragons?
quote:
Originally posted by Out in LF:
quote:
Thurs:
Marcus @ LHS 7:00
FM @ Hebron 7:00

11-1 Flower Mound over Hebron
8-0 Marcus over Lewisville

Who served it up to you guys from Hebron? I know you had Millard on the hill.
In the Marcus vs LHS it was WP: Massingale LP: Munden
To many errors with runners on, plus a ricochet off the wall down the right field line that kicked back into RC gap area scored 2 and that started the downfall, plus no sticks at all for LHS just couldn't get it going.

The Hebron/FM game was really a better game than the score shows. It was tied 1-1 through 5, and FM was up 4-1 at the end of 6 I think. Harris started for Hebron and held FM solidly in check for 5 innings, giving up only a couple of hits. He appeared to tire in the 6th and ran into control problems, that turned into 3 runs with 2-3 walks in the inning. At the end of 6, it was a respectable 4-1 game still with both teams having 4 or so hits. The wheels fell of in the 7th for Hebron after Harris left the game, with the score ending at 11-1.
Actually, the Morning News mis-reported the Coppell-Hebron game (won by Coppell, 8-3) as a non-district contest. So, it doesn't show the actual district standings correctly. They are:

Flower Mound 7-0
Coppell 4-3
Marcus 4-3
Southlake 3-4
Lewisville 2-5
Hebron 1-6

Coppell currently as the tie-breaker edge with a win over Marcus. But, these two teams meet Tuesday night at Coppell. The winner will be in second by themselves at 5-3.

A very tough district. Flower Mound has certainly separated themselves thus far, but it will be tough to get through unbeaten.
I don't think it's time to panic for SLC. They're 3-6 in one run games...tough luck...who knows. They'll get it together...a couple of 2 out hits here and there, a walk less here or there and they'll find themselves on the winning end of these close games. In general, the pitching and defense is solid, but the bats have been very "streaky". It's time to go on a 6 to 8 week "hitting streak" as a team. All the ingredients are still there to first make the playoffs, and then go fairly deep IMHO.
Last edited by doubleday
quote:
Flower Mound 7
Marcus 1

Watched this game in a sell out crowd, Bruce from FMHS pitched a gem. And I'm just curious about one thing, if you have a player, who proved themself LAST year, but this year is hitting sub .150 why would you continue to hit them? Just looking for some insight....

So its better to embarrass a player on a messageboard rather than being a MAN and addressing it in a private meeting with the coach, who could actually give you the answer?
quote:
Originally posted by RobSpiv:
quote:
Flower Mound 7
Marcus 1

Watched this game in a sell out crowd, Bruce from FMHS pitched a gem. And I'm just curious about one thing, if you have a player, who proved themself LAST year, but this year is hitting sub .150 why would you continue to hit them? Just looking for some insight....

So its better to embarrass a player on a messageboard rather than being a MAN and addressing it in a private meeting with the coach, who could actually give you the answer?

Speaking of left field....where did this come from? I see no name at all. Must be a kid close to you? To me is sounds like a valid question.
Last edited by MDteX
quote:
quote:
Flower Mound 7
Marcus 1

On the contrary. Why in the hell would anyone go marching into coach to discuss his line-up decisions with him? Or anything, for that matter. Perfectly legit open-forum sports question in my mind.
quote:
quote:
quote:
Flower Mound 7
Marcus 1

On the contrary. Why in the hell would anyone go marching into coach to discuss his line-up decisions with him? Or anything, for that matter. Perfectly legit open-forum sports question in my mind.

I think its a better alternative than publicly bashing a kid who has a sub .150 BA. He has nothing to do with where he hits in the lineup. Most coaches have open door policies and don't mind discussing concerns with parents.
Coaches certainly have different policies.

If I was a high school coach, which obviously I'm not, I would have an open door policy with parents that states my eagerness to discuss their child's well being, safety, emotional and social development, etc. It would also be my explicit policy that no parent is to ask me any question about playing time, strategy, or any sort of lineup decisions.

Players, on the other hand, would be able to ask, in private, any question they like. They should include the question, "what do I need to do to get what I want?" in their plan for the meeting, as I would answer that question if they came to me whether they asked it or not.

Honesty is powerful, and players should remember that you either find a way or you find an excuse, but you can't do both!

While I'm on this line of thought, parents PLEASE don't claim that your kid should be batting higher in the lineup or more often because of his statistics. Maybe he should and maybe he shouldn't, but citing statistics to support your view demonstrates your lack of awareness and sophistication into the team concept and what it takes to be a great hitter.

Thank you.

-Aaron
www.CoachTraub.com
Last edited by CoachTraub
quote:
...who proved themself LAST year, but this year is hitting sub .150 why would you continue to hit them? Just looking for some insight....

quote:
I think its a better alternative than publicly bashing a kid who has a sub .150 BA.

I dunno. I've seen pretty good bashing. And I've done some really excellent bashing. If you think this is bashing, then I'd say pull up them big girl panties. Sub .150 is sub .150, and this is really not a comment on the kid - just the coaching.
Last edited by wraggArm
"Great pitching performance" in a 17-15 game...????
Sounds like some great hitting, poor pitching, and poor fielding performances?
quote:
Marcus lost to Hebron 3-2

Flower Mound over Coppell 17-15 two homeruns by Popescu, one from Robinson, and one from Simpson. Great pitching performance by O'Rear and Millard closed.

SLC over Lewisville - 14-4
quote:
Originally posted by DFWFan:

The pitching was not there for anyone last night so the hitting won the battle. And both teams probably committed more errors than they normally do and at unfortunate times.

Actually it was entertaining to watch because it was so back and forth.

Kudos to both teams for never giving up and battling until the final pitch. Both had a chance to throw in the towel but neither did.
Last edited by MDteX
quote:
quote:

Flower Mound over Coppell 17-15 two homeruns by Popescu, one from Robinson, and one from Simpson. Great pitching performance by O'Rear and Millard closed.

DFW,

Yes, O'Rear stopped the bleeding. He came in the 3rd inning and pitched 4 complete innings giving up only one earned run and striking out three. Millard pitched the 7th with 2 strikeouts and no hits or runs for the save. However, you are right, before O'Rear and Millard came in it was a different story. Even so, it was a very exciting game with 5 homeruns (Popescu hitting 2) and 7 players (5 players from FM and 2 players from Coppell) getting atleast 3 hits a piece. It was definitely a barn burner! Fun game to watch!!! Both teams showed a lot of heart!!!
Last edited by HRKB
quote:
quote:
quote:

DFW,

Yes, O'Rear and Millard pitched great...O'Rear stopped the bleeding when he came in the 3rd inning and pitched 4 complete innings giving up only one earned run and striking out three. Millard pitched the 7th with 2 strikeouts and no hits or runs for the save. However, you are right, before O'Rear and Millard came in it was a different story. Even so, it was a very exciting game with 5 homeruns (Popescu hitting 2) and 7 players (5 players from FM and 2 players from Coppell) getting atleast 3 hits a piece. It was definitely a barn burner! Fun game to watch!!! Both teams showed a lot of heart!!!
quote:
Interesting that none of the 6-5A coaches except Southlake are choosing to post stats with the Dallas Morning news. I wonder why? All college and pro teams post stats without fear of the ramifications. I think the fans enjoy following the game and stats are part of the game. Hiding stats mmmmm... any thoughts?

I too wish that every team would post their respective, accurate, stats. The fact of the matter is that very few HS teams do. Heck, I've seen some teams not report games scores from tournaments simply because the outcome was not favorable for them.

As far as colleges posting their stats, most D1 teams do but very few JUCO teams do.

I agree with Farmer Dad, in many cases the HS stats are inaccurate anyway.

Although I think it's good to have the data published, until it's accurate and consistent, it's not going to mean much. From what I have seen, I think there is a move to supply less data to the public rather than more. For the traditionalists, that's unfortunate.
quote:
Originally posted by The Voice of Reason:
Coppell 9 Southlake 4

Coppell in the driver's seat for 2nd place in the District with 4 games left. The Cowboys have a 2 game lead, and the tie-breaker edge over both Marcus and Southlake.

That would be a great accomplishment for Coppell. With so many new players on the field I believe they were not predicted to finish that high. Coach English has gotten good competitive effort from many young arms and bats. Good depth at CHS.
What is Hebron's current record vs Marcus? I ask because I don't see a way that Hebron can get past SLC in the district with 4 games remaining and SLC owning the tiebreaker against them (SLC 2-0 vs Hebron).

The battle for the 3rd and 4th seeds appears to be between SLC (5-6), Marcus (5-6) and Hebron (3-8). SLC and Marcus play tomorrow with the winner going up 2-1 in the season series and owning the tiebreaker. I would have to say that in a worst case scenario SLC would win at least 1 more district game with games remaining against Marcus, FMHS, Hebron and Lewisville. This worst case scenario would result in SLC having a 6-9 district record and Hebron would need to win all 4 of their remaining games to finish 7-8. So back to my original question...how's Hebron done against Marcus?
quote:
What is Hebron's current record vs Marcus? I ask because I don't see a way that Hebron can get past SLC in the district with 4 games remaining and SLC owning the tiebreaker against them (SLC 2-0 vs Hebron).

The battle for the 3rd and 4th seeds appears to be between SLC (5-6), Marcus (5-6) and Hebron (3-8). SLC and Marcus play tomorrow with the winner going up 2-1 in the season series and owning the tiebreaker. I would have to say that in a worst case scenario SLC would win at least 1 more district game with games remaining against Marcus, FMHS, Hebron and Lewisville. This worst case scenario would result in SLC having a 6-9 district record and Hebron would need to win all 4 of their remaining games to finish 7-8. So back to my original question...how's Hebron done against Marcus?

Hebron and Marcus have split 1-1, with the 3rd game remaining. Things could work out where that last game between them decides who goes and who goes home.
quote:
SOOOoooooo...

Looks like "Funnelcakes" just wrecked FloMo's perfect season. Also beat Coppell last night. Gotta hand it to the dude - seems to get his teams ramped up as they go into the playoffs.

Man, that's really got to have the FMer's kind of chapped. Even started their Ace.

Why would we be chapped? We won district and our spot in the playoffs is secure? Marcus did well last year going into the playoffs and we wish them well. Smile
SLC defeated Hebron 6-2 Saturday. SLC is 7-7 in the district and holds the tiebreaker against Marcus. With 1 district game remaining, if SLC beats LHS next Friday it would mean the district seedings would be: 1) FMHS 2) Coppell 3) SLC 4) Marcus.

Marcus would face Colleyville Heritage in round 1 and SLC would face Keller.
quote:
You've got the right perspective, Ex-Girl - a lot of positives to focus on. You've got a great group of boys out there in Flower Mound. (Speaking strictly about "on-the-field" character, of course.) I think you'll do well in the playoffs.

Marcus calling anyone out on character is the biggest pot calling the kettle black I have ever seen.

You won a good game congrats but your attempt at slap shots falls very short.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Xgirl:
wraggarm - at least the FM players had enough character not to vandalize the Marcus facility like the Marcus players did at FM.

Those who live in glass houses.....well you know the rest.

Sounds like a regular war zone.

doubleday - yeah, I think SLC set themselves up way better for the playoffs when they came back to beat Marcus last week. Lewisville's not going to be any problem for Carrol. Is O'Connor going to pitch?

Don't know who will pitch Friday vs LHS. SeanO pitched Saturday vs Hebron. I'm sure he could go, but only the coaching staff knows at this point. I think it depends on the playoff format for the following week. Does anyone know the format/schedule? I've heard various things...one was that the playoffs would run on Fri/Sat with a single game on Fri and then a DH on Sat if a 3rd game is needed. Another was that it was a Tues, Fri, Sat format...anyone know for sure?
Does anyone know the format/schedule? I've heard various things...one was that the playoffs would run on Fri/Sat with a single game on Fri and then a DH on Sat if a 3rd game is needed. Another was that it was a Tues, Fri, Sat format...anyone know for sure?[/QUOTE]

Don't know for sure...but I don't think any games will be played on Tuesday unless we get into rainy weather. It will most likely be a Thursday, Friday, and Saturday game if needed or a Friday game with a Saturday (doubleheader) if needed. The earliest games will most likely start on the 6th or 7th.
We have this discussion every year. The ultimate formats are up to the coaches of each team. If they can't agree then it's a coin toss. The items up for consideration include everything: location, dates, time of day, number of games, etc. In addition, the coaches can "package" these items during the negotiations to tempt the other coach. The only condition is that the final game must be started by Saturday evening at midnight.

One example is Coach X wants a three game series and Coach Y wants one. Coach Y could offer that he'll play three games but they all must be at his field AND he wants to play on Tuesday, Friday and Saturday because he wants to throw his ace twice. Coach X can then say no and it's back to flipping a coin or changing the negotiating points. Remember, everything is negotiable but ultimately if they can't agree then it's a coin flip. These negotiations can go on for hours.

I wish UIL would step in and clearly define the rules of engagement to be a 3-games series, Thurs, Fri, Sat, and winner moves on. In addition, I think the higher seed should get the first and last games at home or at least the first with the third game, if needed, on a neutral field. The current system doesn't provide any incentive to winning your district (other than pride). However, that being said, at least it's better than is was 4-5 years ago when it was a 1-game series only.

Enjoy the playoffs. I know I will!!
quote:
Originally posted by NTXDAD:
I wish UIL would step in and clearly define the rules of engagement to be a 3-games series, Thurs, Fri, Sat, and winner moves on. In addition, I think the higher seed should get the first and last games at home or at least the first with the third game, if needed, on a neutral field. The current system doesn't provide any incentive to winning your district (other than pride). However, that being said, at least it's better than is was 4-5 years ago when it was a 1-game series only.

It does seem crazy that UIL seems to legislatively knit-pick everything they can get their hands on, yet leave something as important as this up to the coaches to negotiate. If the coaches repeatedly go to extremes to "abuse" or "leverage" (depending on who's ox gets gored in the deal) Wink the system, UIL will probably step in and put some illogical/super-restrictive rules in place that everyone can hate equally.

I would prefer a best of 3 game series too, with the better seed given some advantages to determine dates/locations. I'd be concerned about a Th, Fr, Sa requirement due to weather.

WAG!
NTXDAD... I agree 100%. Point in fact....in girls softball, which has the same idiotic rules that hurt district winners... Last night, Keller the #1 seed in State, and is out what a travisty! When will the UIL change this very poorly thought out situation. In baseball, your are so right,it rewards teams who luck out and have one good game. There is a reason the lower seeds did not win the district! The first place team is usually very deep. The current system does not reward district winners at all! In fact it does just the opposite, it punishes them by giving the 4th seed an equal opportunity! Well said NTX.
quote:
Originally posted by NTXDAD:
We have this discussion every year. The ultimate formats are up to the coaches of each team. If they can't agree then it's a coin toss. The items up for consideration include everything: location, dates, time of day, number of games, etc. In addition, the coaches can "package" these items during the negotiations to tempt the other coach. The only condition is that the final game must be started by Saturday evening at midnight.

One example is Coach X wants a three game series and Coach Y wants one. Coach Y could offer that he'll play three games but they all must be at his field AND he wants to play on Tuesday, Friday and Saturday because he wants to throw his ace twice. Coach X can then say no and it's back to flipping a coin or changing the negotiating points. Remember, everything is negotiable but ultimately if they can't agree then it's a coin flip. These negotiations can go on for hours.

Enjoy the playoffs. I know I will!!
Last edited by DFWFan
Omahaorbust-

Just saw your note about English...

All the bashers will come out of their closets when he calls his favorite play - suicide squeeze - and it fails like it does 90% of the time and the Cowboys end their season on another downer. Any decent coach knows he's gonna do it and his players work on stopping it in practice. Heck, he was writing little notes on his palm before Sarah Palin was and his 1st one is always suicide squeeze!
"If" it fails 90% percent of the time, then it probably has more to do with lack of execution than the coach. Unless he is teaching it wrong...which I doubt.

If you put the bunt down fair, as long as it is not a 1 hopper back to the pitcher, you will get a run out of it. Sure, they could pitchout, they could steal the sign or guess correctly...maybe the hitter squared too early, maybe the runner broke too early. I doubt these are things they are being "coached" to do. I know bunting is not "****" but winning is and say what you want, but Don English is a winner!

I think most of your angst is personal...which is perfectly fine. I missed a squeeze bunt in the bottom of the 7th once in high school and it was not the coaches fault. I should have put it down. If I do, we win...I didn't so we lost in extra innings.
Omaha... you are one stand-up former HS player! Wish there were more like you who can acknowledge the situation and go forward. That kind of attitude will serve you well in your future life endeavors. (Which by the way are much more important!) Way too many players blame the coach for losing or for a bad play or for lost opportunities that they probably did not earn. PS. I'll bet you executed the vast majority of the plays you were asked to perform while on your HS team!
quote:
Originally posted by omahaorbust:
"If" it fails 90% percent of the time, then it probably has more to do with lack of execution than the coach. Unless he is teaching it wrong...which I doubt.

If you put the bunt down fair, as long as it is not a 1 hopper back to the pitcher, you will get a run out of it. Sure, they could pitchout, they could steal the sign or guess correctly...maybe the hitter squared too early, maybe the runner broke too early. I doubt these are things they are being "coached" to do. I know bunting is not "****" but winning is and say what you want, but Don English is a winner!

I think most of your angst is personal...which is perfectly fine. I missed a squeeze bunt in the bottom of the 7th once in high school and it was not the coaches fault. I should have put it down. If I do, we win...I didn't so we lost in extra innings.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.