Skip to main content

I don't think it's time to panic for SLC. They're 3-6 in one run games...tough luck...who knows. They'll get it together...a couple of 2 out hits here and there, a walk less here or there and they'll find themselves on the winning end of these close games. In general, the pitching and defense is solid, but the bats have been very "streaky". It's time to go on a 6 to 8 week "hitting streak" as a team. All the ingredients are still there to first make the playoffs, and then go fairly deep IMHO.
Last edited by doubleday
quote:
Originally posted by All5Tools:
Flower Mound 7
Marcus 1

Watched this game in a sell out crowd, Bruce from FMHS pitched a gem. And I'm just curious about one thing, if you have a player, who proved themself LAST year, but this year is hitting sub .150 why would you continue to hit them? Just looking for some insight....

So its better to embarrass a player on a messageboard rather than being a MAN and addressing it in a private meeting with the coach, who could actually give you the answer?
quote:
Originally posted by RobSpiv:
quote:
Flower Mound 7
Marcus 1

Watched this game in a sell out crowd, Bruce from FMHS pitched a gem. And I'm just curious about one thing, if you have a player, who proved themself LAST year, but this year is hitting sub .150 why would you continue to hit them? Just looking for some insight....

So its better to embarrass a player on a messageboard rather than being a MAN and addressing it in a private meeting with the coach, who could actually give you the answer?

Speaking of left field....where did this come from? I see no name at all. Must be a kid close to you? To me is sounds like a valid question.
Last edited by MDteX
quote:
quote:
Flower Mound 7
Marcus 1

On the contrary. Why in the hell would anyone go marching into coach to discuss his line-up decisions with him? Or anything, for that matter. Perfectly legit open-forum sports question in my mind.
quote:
Originally posted by wraggArm:
quote:
quote:
Flower Mound 7
Marcus 1

On the contrary. Why in the hell would anyone go marching into coach to discuss his line-up decisions with him? Or anything, for that matter. Perfectly legit open-forum sports question in my mind.

I think its a better alternative than publicly bashing a kid who has a sub .150 BA. He has nothing to do with where he hits in the lineup. Most coaches have open door policies and don't mind discussing concerns with parents.
Coaches certainly have different policies.

If I was a high school coach, which obviously I'm not, I would have an open door policy with parents that states my eagerness to discuss their child's well being, safety, emotional and social development, etc. It would also be my explicit policy that no parent is to ask me any question about playing time, strategy, or any sort of lineup decisions.

Players, on the other hand, would be able to ask, in private, any question they like. They should include the question, "what do I need to do to get what I want?" in their plan for the meeting, as I would answer that question if they came to me whether they asked it or not.

Honesty is powerful, and players should remember that you either find a way or you find an excuse, but you can't do both!

While I'm on this line of thought, parents PLEASE don't claim that your kid should be batting higher in the lineup or more often because of his statistics. Maybe he should and maybe he shouldn't, but citing statistics to support your view demonstrates your lack of awareness and sophistication into the team concept and what it takes to be a great hitter.

Thank you.

-Aaron
www.CoachTraub.com
Last edited by CoachTraub
quote:
...who proved themself LAST year, but this year is hitting sub .150 why would you continue to hit them? Just looking for some insight....

quote:
I think its a better alternative than publicly bashing a kid who has a sub .150 BA.

I dunno. I've seen pretty good bashing. And I've done some really excellent bashing. If you think this is bashing, then I'd say pull up them big girl panties. Sub .150 is sub .150, and this is really not a comment on the kid - just the coaching.
Last edited by wraggArm
"Great pitching performance" in a 17-15 game...????
Sounds like some great hitting, poor pitching, and poor fielding performances?
quote:
Originally posted by HRKB:
Marcus lost to Hebron 3-2

Flower Mound over Coppell 17-15 two homeruns by Popescu, one from Robinson, and one from Simpson. Great pitching performance by O'Rear and Millard closed.

SLC over Lewisville - 14-4
quote:
Originally posted by DFWFan:

The pitching was not there for anyone last night so the hitting won the battle. And both teams probably committed more errors than they normally do and at unfortunate times.

Actually it was entertaining to watch because it was so back and forth.

Kudos to both teams for never giving up and battling until the final pitch. Both had a chance to throw in the towel but neither did.
Last edited by MDteX
quote:
quote:

Flower Mound over Coppell 17-15 two homeruns by Popescu, one from Robinson, and one from Simpson. Great pitching performance by O'Rear and Millard closed.

DFW,

Yes, O'Rear stopped the bleeding. He came in the 3rd inning and pitched 4 complete innings giving up only one earned run and striking out three. Millard pitched the 7th with 2 strikeouts and no hits or runs for the save. However, you are right, before O'Rear and Millard came in it was a different story. Even so, it was a very exciting game with 5 homeruns (Popescu hitting 2) and 7 players (5 players from FM and 2 players from Coppell) getting atleast 3 hits a piece. It was definitely a barn burner! Fun game to watch!!! Both teams showed a lot of heart!!!
Last edited by HRKB
quote:
quote:
quote:

DFW,

Yes, O'Rear and Millard pitched great...O'Rear stopped the bleeding when he came in the 3rd inning and pitched 4 complete innings giving up only one earned run and striking out three. Millard pitched the 7th with 2 strikeouts and no hits or runs for the save. However, you are right, before O'Rear and Millard came in it was a different story. Even so, it was a very exciting game with 5 homeruns (Popescu hitting 2) and 7 players (5 players from FM and 2 players from Coppell) getting atleast 3 hits a piece. It was definitely a barn burner! Fun game to watch!!! Both teams showed a lot of heart!!!
quote:
Interesting that none of the 6-5A coaches except Southlake are choosing to post stats with the Dallas Morning news. I wonder why? All college and pro teams post stats without fear of the ramifications. I think the fans enjoy following the game and stats are part of the game. Hiding stats mmmmm... any thoughts?

I too wish that every team would post their respective, accurate, stats. The fact of the matter is that very few HS teams do. Heck, I've seen some teams not report games scores from tournaments simply because the outcome was not favorable for them.

As far as colleges posting their stats, most D1 teams do but very few JUCO teams do.

I agree with Farmer Dad, in many cases the HS stats are inaccurate anyway.

Although I think it's good to have the data published, until it's accurate and consistent, it's not going to mean much. From what I have seen, I think there is a move to supply less data to the public rather than more. For the traditionalists, that's unfortunate.
quote:
Originally posted by The Voice of Reason:
Coppell 9 Southlake 4

Coppell in the driver's seat for 2nd place in the District with 4 games left. The Cowboys have a 2 game lead, and the tie-breaker edge over both Marcus and Southlake.

That would be a great accomplishment for Coppell. With so many new players on the field I believe they were not predicted to finish that high. Coach English has gotten good competitive effort from many young arms and bats. Good depth at CHS.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.