Skip to main content

quote:
If the opposing coach has a player playing third base who we have determined to have slow reactions and is not up to standard in fielding a bunt on a consistent basis, then yes I would urge my team to bunt down the third base line to take advantage of this player's incapability to keep up with the necessary speed of the game to be successful. This would be done regardless of how many legs the player has, or what sort of mental disability occurs.

I'm pretty sure that answered your question, and was posted a few minutes ago. Don't waste my time repeating questions that I've already addressed. I'm not a fan of being patronized.
Last edited by J H
quote:
Originally posted by J H:
If the coach has determined that the player's disability causes him to not be able to field the ball well enough to make a play, then yes I would bunt.

Last time I checked, I speak English, and type it pretty well too.

I still have no idea how your question is relevant to the original post.

So, you will bunt on the pitcher with no legs. Thank you.
Would I bunt all day? No way. His fastball tops out at 80. I'm swinging away. Big Grin

Antz,
Your question shows what happens once you start making decisions for reasons other than ability to help the team win.

You put a guy on the roster who didn't earn the spot. Hooray! Everyone feels wonderful!

Eventually, you put him in a game. After all, it would be cruel to leave him on the bench all season.

Now, to keep the good vibes rippling ever outward, you expect the opposing coach to put aside his aspirations for his team's success and manage the game in a way that doesn't exploit the player's disability? Why should he buy into this project? What if his players have been having a discouraging season and desperately need a win? What if his normal offense is small ball built around the bunt and speed?

What happens when the game is on the line with the tying run on third in the seventh inning? Is he allowed to bunt then and still meet your standards of compassion?

What about stealing? It's possible that this pitcher isn't great at holding runners. Is it okay to get a good jump on him, or would that be selfish, too?

Where would the accommodations stop? When would it be okay to play to win against this player? When do the other players on either team get to learn the lessons that come from striving to reach a common goal?

Sportsmanship is about playing hard within a set of rules. I maintain that it is poor sportsmanship to put players and coaches in a situation where they're expected to compete half-heartedly.

Remember, this is varsity competition. There are other baseball venues with minimum participation requirement for players looking for a more relaxed baseball experience.

The cross country story is nice, but it's a different kind of situation. In cross country, each team fields 7 runners, but only the scores of the first 5 finishers count. A non-competitive runner who finishes last doesn't hurt the team's chance of winning.
Last edited by Swampboy
quote:
Originally posted by AntzDad:
quote:
Originally posted by Wklink:
...to me it is no different than a coach taking advantage of an opposing catcher's weak arm or the lack of range of an opposing outfielder.

So, you're still gonna tell your team to bunt, all day?

You're right. You'll never get through to me. I believe in sportsmanship.

J H, please, read my second post again. We're on the same page.

What would your team do, if your coach's strategy was to bunt against the pitcher with no legs? Would you bunt?

Yes, If I was the coach of an opposing team I would put down bunts. Not every single hitter but until the other team proved to me that they could field that bunt you bet your tush I would. If I can get a runner on base and in an opponents head you bet I would do it.

You want it plain and simple yes. If I have an opponent with a known weakness I am going to take advantage of it.

Sportsmanship is fine but if you don't take advantage of an opponents weakness then you are just plain stupid. Coaches do it all the time. A kid with a weak throwing arm gets run on, a hitter that can't hit one kind of pitch or another gets that pitch all day.

I suppose you call that poor sportsmanship too right? This kid wants to play at an upper tier of baseball. He is CHOOSING to attempt to play at this level. This isn't kiddie coach pitch everyone gets a trophy baseball anymore. Coaches get fired for losing seasons.
Last edited by Wklink
WOW! I just came across this thread! The ignorance running rampant regarding tourettes is disturbing. This first rule, do not speak about somethng you cleary know nothing about without risking looking like a complete idiot! I am not a political correctness guy but "retard"?? That word may actually apply correctly to some of the guys making some ridiculous statements on a pubic forum!
Why would you not take advantage of a player's weakness in a competitive situation. Pitchers are always trying to get a hitter out by exploiting his weakness by executing a certain pitch.

If the coach puts a kid on the field with a disability that will negeatively affect his team play, then shame on that coach for being forced to make such a move to put a kid in a position like that in the first place. If you're physically or mentally unfit, then why the hell do you have to be politically correct and do feel-good stuff that's ridiculous. You either can overcome the affliction, beat the odds and perform or you can't and you do something else.

You can't exppect a fat ugly heifer to slither down a Victoria Secret runway so why is the sports profession any different?
Last edited by zombywoof
Link copied to your clipboard.