Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

For those of the global one world mind set, there is nothing wrong with this.

In the real world of national pride and status, one would expect a citizen of a nation to represent that nation that gave them the opportunity to excell and succeed.

This is merely another symptom of the growth of the global mentality and the weakening of pride and allegiance to this nation.

People come here for opportunity and wealth not available to them in their nation of origin. After benefitting from the opportunity offerred by our nation and system of government, people turn their backs on the USA and give their allegiance to their nation of origin.

We as consumers and citizens accept this as our own representation in the sport and opportunity and wealth diminishes before our eyes.
quote:
Originally posted by TPM:
Well, I suppose we all look at things dfferently and that's ok. Smile

IMO, ...personally I couldn't care less which team he or anyone plays for....

I didn't even know there was a World Baseball Classic. Now that I do, I still don't care. To each his own including Quincy's right to his opinion and A-Rod's right to pick a team.
Last edited by ClevelandDad
I see Quincy's point. If my son had the opportunity I don't know if he'd go with the Irish or Norwegian National teams Wink . One grandma would really be let down with his decision.

I have an issue with this. If you're not good enough to make YOUR country's team, then acknowledge your heritage as a second option. We instill the value of "paying back" to our kids in regard to the opportunities provided them throughout life. Whether that be with school, community, family, athletics we expect our kids to do the right thing in return for what they were given. With the increased lack of respect we get from around the world it's an additional kick in the gut to have one of the best players in Americas game jump ship. We put our hand over our heart for the pledge of allegiance, that used to mean something. A-Rod like every other citizen owes this country a debt gratitude for his health, education, wealth, and freedom. Is it that much to ask that he hold his head high and say I'm proud to to be an American and represent his country? Those are the little situations that make a difference and it keeps on cascading. We've seen how the accomplishments of Bobby Fisher, Micheal Phelps, 1980 US Hockey team, Lance Armstrong, the 2008 Ryder Cup team, and others had lifted the country This is a no brainer in my mind

It's embarrassing.

What if Tiger Woods who has dual citizenship decided to represent Thailand in international competition?
Last edited by rz1
I refreshed my memory on this and I see two problems.

One is the indecision. In 2006, he said he'd play for the Dominicans. Then he said he wouldn't play at all. Then he played for the US. Make up your doggone mind already.

Secondly, I understand heritage and geneology. However, ARod was born in the United States and he is a US citizen. He is NOT a Dominican.

End of story.
Last edited by biggerpapi
I think that you should "honor" the country that has given you the freedom and the opportunities to excel at whatever one does. You can always "give back" or demonstrate charitable intentions through many different opportunities.

But, if you are a United States Citizen, or living the lifestyle afforded to you by the United States and have the tremendous privilege of playing baseball and receiving the financial rewards based on the United States and Major League Baseball, I think it is a callous disregard to the United States and baseball fans to decide that you would like to play for and represent any other country.

Remember who brought you to the dance.
You all make good points, but it really doesn't make a difference what he does for me, as long as he pays his taxes. Wink

Where I live if you ask someone, what are you, they might answer, cuban, haitian, puerto rican, italian, irish, dominican, israeli, indian, catholic, jewish, aethiest, new yorker, whatever, but never, american.

Try it sometime. Heritage plays a big part in who someone is.

I like Arod, I base what I like on his talent, but he has issues, he can't figure out what he wants in life, so how can he figure out where he comes from. Roll Eyes
JMO. Smile
Last edited by TPM
It seems that WE THE PEOPLE born into the right and priviledge of US citizenship take for granted more and more each day the gift of living in our society.

Others from foreign lands when assuming naturalization take the following oath

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

It seems that all US citizens should recite this oath or the Pledge of Allegiance daily as a reminder.

Consumers as well as the MLB should take note of the results of globalizing industry and the sport on our economy.
Last edited by Quincy
I have always been a big A-Rod fan, dating back to when he was 18 years old and with the Mariners. He is an amazing 5-tool player that will go into the Hall of Fame easily.

This WBC is about baseball, not issues of nationality and allegiance to country, so in that respect I side with TPM that it is no big deal. But I will admit that I'm surprised, even disappointed.

Doesn't A-Rod realize Madonna did "Like a Virgin" about 25 years ago? Doubt it now to say the least.
I have no problem with this. It does however say something about A-Rod. I would LIKE for him to see things differently but since he doesn't -- then as an American I will see him for what he is. That's the great thing about this country ---- we all have the right to be individuals. Few things demand we be 100% "American". Taxes is one and defending our country is another. As I see it our forefathers gave A-Rod the freedom to PLAY for whomever he chooses ------------- but that freedom comes with clearly defined obligations.
Fungo
I do believe Arod's doing this for his mother, and I don't have a problem with that.

I really do not think Arod thought this out though, at least not to what I feel will be the conclusion.

Who's to say that the Dominican Republic or the Players want him on there team?? There could be alot of resentment?
He will be the perfect scape goat if this fails to produce result's.

This gives the USA team a great motive??
Not that they should need one.

If Arod and the Dominican's do win the WBC.
Arod will be a Villian in the eye's of the American Public??

Whomever is advising him, did not think this out.
JMHO.

If Arod is doing this for his family then you can't fault the guy.
But it's going to be a PR nightmare.

EH
Last edited by theEH
I think this is a concern only because of who the player is rather than what it is all about.

Keep in mind that there have been several Americans who played for different countries.

Definitely not a matter of national security. Really kind of insignificant compared to other problems.

Besides, wasn't ARod named to that all-time Dominican Republic Team awhile back?

That said, agreeing with EH, still don't think this is a wise decision on ARod's part from a public relations standpoint.
Get a grip. Some of you sound as if he's insulting you, and your country by playing for the DR.

He was born in Brooklyn, and raised in Miami. Two of the most intergated/immigrated cities in our country.

He's spent how many seasons honing his skills playing winter ball in the Dominican?

Maybe it's just more FUN, less business, less politics, less pressure, and possibly he feels a need to represent his heritage and inspire other young Dominican atheletes.
quote:
Originally posted by rz1:
I guess if A-Rod can't live up to the standards of being a "true" American, and keeps falling short of the expectations others have on him in his profession, he should run like a little girl to the DR where he walks on water.

Like this? At least his shoes match his man-purse. It's amazing he runs so fast tied to apron strings. What an athaleet. Not sure I'd want the Freezer on my team anyway.

Last edited by Dad04

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.