Skip to main content

Smitty28 posted:
SomeBaseballDad posted:

I guess I would have to ask how many offers does he have as a OB? Because if the answer is none then why have you let football interfere with baseball? As that seems like where his future lies. 

Because HS football is awesome and most every kid I know who plays (my son included) considers it one of the best things he's done in HS.  It also makes him a better baseball player - stronger, faster and tougher.

I guess. My son's senior year he had a freshman catcher who played football and ran track. Four years now as a standout receiver on a football team that has lost four games total in 5A and won a state championship. Finished the regular season about two or three wins shy of the record for consecutive regular-season games won, around 55 I believe. My wife talked to his mom at the store the other day and she admitted they're concerned about his recruitment in baseball.  College coaches will encourage you to play other sports but when it comes scholarship time they give them to baseball players. All those summers spent doing two a days with the football team and not on the field with a TB team has had its consequences.  Now his choices are to play for a college he would have thought below his skillset a couple years ago or go to a JUCO and prove himself as a baseball player.

> It also makes him a better baseball player - stronger, faster and tougher.<

Yeah I hear that all the time. But yet the MLB teams spend the offseason and spring training working on, and playing, baseball not football.

Nonamedad posted:
PitchingFan posted:
Nonamedad posted:
stayfocused posted:

I say take the offer and be thankful you got it!  As a dad of a 2019, 6' 3", 180 lb, 88 mph RHP, good grades and ACT,  with tons of exposure (lots of PG tournaments, Jupiter, WWBA, etc.... over the past three years, with tremendous success at these tournaments), from the largest classification highschool in the state and a State championship under his belt,  and not a single offer from a D1-3, I would highly recommend considering this offer.....because mid 80s RHPs are a dime a dozen.  BTW.....we are extremely happy with the one D1 JUCO that  offered and are very grateful that he will have an opportunity to continue playing at the college level.  

We are living parallel lives..... son is a 2019 6'4 200 lb RHP, sitting 87-90 all summer, went to all the events, top travel team, no offers from D1s. Good grades and SAT. Hard part is looking on PG and seeing schools we talked to  signing kids whose FB velocities are lower than his by 3-4 mph. He does have 2 D1 juco offers, and may go with one of them. 

So I would try to convince my kid to take the offer.

Nonamedad, why is the question?  There has to be something if your son is throwing 93.  Is it consistency, control, or something else.  I would have a conversation with a coach or have your travel coach ask.  There has to be something that is keeping him from getting offers.  You don't throw that speed on good teams and not get offers.  It may be a simple fix or it may be something that cannot be fixed easily but there is something.  I know too many guys who are topping 88 RHP who have offers.

I never said 93.... 87-90 all summer.  I think being a late bloomer may have hurt him, last summer he was 82. Added strength and worked hard to get to 90. I’m waiting for the Jupiter numbers to hit to see where he ranks, has to be in the 80% range. And he is sitting 89-90, saw may kids that dropped off a cliff after 1 inn at 90-93 then sat 86-88.  Hard to say why there is no interest. Everyone says D1 ability.

FWIW, Jupiter numbers are posted. 90 mph is the 95th percentile (95.22%) in PG's database for the 2019 class this year.

2019Dad posted:
Nonamedad posted:
PitchingFan posted:
Nonamedad posted:
stayfocused posted:

I say take the offer and be thankful you got it!  As a dad of a 2019, 6' 3", 180 lb, 88 mph RHP, good grades and ACT,  with tons of exposure (lots of PG tournaments, Jupiter, WWBA, etc.... over the past three years, with tremendous success at these tournaments), from the largest classification highschool in the state and a State championship under his belt,  and not a single offer from a D1-3, I would highly recommend considering this offer.....because mid 80s RHPs are a dime a dozen.  BTW.....we are extremely happy with the one D1 JUCO that  offered and are very grateful that he will have an opportunity to continue playing at the college level.  

We are living parallel lives..... son is a 2019 6'4 200 lb RHP, sitting 87-90 all summer, went to all the events, top travel team, no offers from D1s. Good grades and SAT. Hard part is looking on PG and seeing schools we talked to  signing kids whose FB velocities are lower than his by 3-4 mph. He does have 2 D1 juco offers, and may go with one of them. 

So I would try to convince my kid to take the offer.

Nonamedad, why is the question?  There has to be something if your son is throwing 93.  Is it consistency, control, or something else.  I would have a conversation with a coach or have your travel coach ask.  There has to be something that is keeping him from getting offers.  You don't throw that speed on good teams and not get offers.  It may be a simple fix or it may be something that cannot be fixed easily but there is something.  I know too many guys who are topping 88 RHP who have offers.

I never said 93.... 87-90 all summer.  I think being a late bloomer may have hurt him, last summer he was 82. Added strength and worked hard to get to 90. I’m waiting for the Jupiter numbers to hit to see where he ranks, has to be in the 80% range. And he is sitting 89-90, saw may kids that dropped off a cliff after 1 inn at 90-93 then sat 86-88.  Hard to say why there is no interest. Everyone says D1 ability.

FWIW, Jupiter numbers are posted. 90 mph is the 95th percentile (95.22%) in PG's database for the 2019 class this year.

But at the Jupiter event it is the 80 thpercentile 

SomeBaseballDad posted:
Smitty28 posted:
SomeBaseballDad posted:

I guess I would have to ask how many offers does he have as a OB? Because if the answer is none then why have you let football interfere with baseball? As that seems like where his future lies. 

Because HS football is awesome and most every kid I know who plays (my son included) considers it one of the best things he's done in HS.  It also makes him a better baseball player - stronger, faster and tougher.

I guess. My son's senior year he had a freshman catcher who played football and ran track. Four years now as a standout receiver on a football team that has lost four games total in 5A and won a state championship. Finished the regular season about two or three wins shy of the record for consecutive regular-season games won, around 55 I believe. My wife talked to his mom at the store the other day and she admitted they're concerned about his recruitment in baseball.  College coaches will encourage you to play other sports but when it comes scholarship time they give them to baseball players. All those summers spent doing two a days with the football team and not on the field with a TB team has had its consequences.  Now his choices are to play for a college he would have thought below his skillset a couple years ago or go to a JUCO and prove himself as a baseball player.

Yeah I hear that all the time. But yet the MLB teams spend the offseason and spring training working on, and playing, baseball not football.

Yes, no doubt football gets in the way of baseball recruiting.  But you can make it work.  Remember, we're not talking about an MLB prospect here, and likely not a Power 5 prospect (2020s are mostly committed to P5s by now), so he's not going to be making a living playing baseball.  Giving up everything a kid loves for baseball for a kid like this doesn't make sense, IMO.

I absolutely love the passion all of you have for this game (and also for your sons).  I am not banking on my son playing in the MLB, but when a kid has 2 more seasons to go in HS, A LOT can change, hopefully for the better.  Who are we to predict the future? Call me an optimist, but if my son decides to put in the work necessary to be better, who knows what could happen? If he aspires to go to the MLB, good for him, I just hope he enjoys the ride, doesn't look back and has no regrets.  That way wherever he ends up, he will be satisfied.  I'm already more proud than I ever could have imagined, but hey, I'm just a mom. We don't ask for much.  Just a hug from our "babies" once in a while.

LetItGo posted:

I absolutely love the passion all of you have for this game (and also for your sons).  I am not banking on my son playing in the MLB, but when a kid has 2 more seasons to go in HS, A LOT can change, hopefully for the better.  Who are we to predict the future? Call me an optimist, but if my son decides to put in the work necessary to be better, who knows what could happen? If he aspires to go to the MLB, good for him, I just hope he enjoys the ride, doesn't look back and has no regrets.  That way wherever he ends up, he will be satisfied.  I'm already more proud than I ever could have imagined, but hey, I'm just a mom. We don't ask for much.  Just a hug from our "babies" once in a while.

It sounds like you've taken a lot of positive out of this discussion.  Just one last point - although your son has 2 more HS seasons remaining (sounds like a lot), he's really got about 8-10 months left for college recruiting, maybe a little more if he lands at a D3.

Smitty28 posted:
SomeBaseballDad posted:
Smitty28 posted:
SomeBaseballDad posted:

Yes, no doubt football gets in the way of baseball recruiting.  But you can make it work.  Remember, we're not talking about an MLB prospect here, and likely not a Power 5 prospect (2020s are mostly committed to P5s by now), so he's not going to be making a living playing baseball.  Giving up everything a kid loves for baseball for a kid like this doesn't make sense, IMO.

Yes, one can "make it work". My son was a really good basketball player also. He played both basketball and baseball freshman year, was hurt sophomore year, did again junior year. After that he told me he just couldn't do both at an acceptable level. He wasn't OK being "OK" at both. I very much respected him for that.

At every level of college baseball there are good and bad programs and everything in between. The players that end up in the bottom tier programs didn't decide "I want to play for that s#it program". Choices have consequences. My son could have chosen to continue to be a two way,  but then he might not be playing for a P5 school with great facilities on almost a full ride. 

SomeBaseballDad posted:
Smitty28 posted:
SomeBaseballDad posted:
Smitty28 posted:
SomeBaseballDad posted:

Yes, one can "make it work". My son was a really good basketball player also. He played both basketball and baseball freshman year, was hurt sophomore year, did both again junior year. After that he told me he just couldn't do the two at an acceptable level. He wasn't OK being "OK" at both. I very much respected him for that.

At every level of college baseball there are good and bad programs and everything in between. The players that end up in the bottom tier programs didn't decide "I want to play for that s#it program". Choices have consequences. My son could have chosen to continue to be a two way,  but then he might not be playing for a P5 school with great facilities on almost a full ride. 

Last edited by SomeBaseballDad
SomeBaseballDad posted:
Smitty28 posted:
SomeBaseballDad posted:
Smitty28 posted:
SomeBaseballDad posted:

Yes, one can "make it work". My son was a really good basketball player also. He played both basketball and baseball freshman year, was hurt sophomore year, did again junior year. After that he told me he just couldn't do both at an acceptable level. He wasn't OK being "OK" at both. I very much respected him for that.

If your son has the talent to play at a P5 school on almost a full ride, then it makes sense for him to focus on baseball and go in fully prepared.  This isn't the case with the OP, he's looking mid-D1 to D3 and not getting any love yet.  Totally different scenario.  I've seen plenty of kids focus on baseball only to end up at a s#it program anyway, or not play in college at all, after having given up football or basketball or some other activity they really enjoyed.  I think that's a mistake.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.