Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger Paw Mom:
I didn't realize fans of the game were not allowed to give their opinions.
They are allowed and expected to as thats what keeps interest in the game. Controversy spurs interest and sells advertising but that is "outside the box" and not part of the MLB inner circle where decisions are made. My point was that for the most part, to the team they mean nothing.

I am not an owner, never will be, and therefore I tend not to look at ownership's side of things.
That surprises me as I've always viewed you as a knowledge seeker

And I don't enjoy the game within the game.
Enjoyment doesn't mean you have to like the results. I enjoy seeing the big picture and understanding how things work.

one of the reasons why baseball is not the all american sport anymore.
Long live sokker. That sport has failed in the US at college and pro levels because there are no issues. In Europe and S America the sport thrives because the fan base understands the inner workings and keeps it alive by the controversy.

Too much controversy, too much wondering why after all of these years these issues keep dragging on with no real solutions.
The DH, corked bats, contracts, revenue sharing, juiced/altered balls, retaliation, drugs, are all part of what makes the sport breath. No one likes it but its all part of the big picture, LL was pure, HS was "social", travel ball was political, college ball separated players from prospects, and pro ball is a business. As a parent or a fan we've evolved and understood the inner workings through all those "steps". That understanding is what keeps the passion alive, at least for me.

I have found that most people really don't care about the issues facing MLB.
Thats why the net is packed full of msg boards and blogs discussing every issue. The fire burns because of our displeasure and opinions. All kids are told by parents to "ignore it and it will go away" but instead of listening they watch mom/dad confront their issues with their opinions and they in turn follow suit. We are creatures of opinions and thrive on presenting them.

IMO, which I am entitled to,
ABSOLUTELY

the game of baseball should be played out on the field, not sudden information that pops up when convenient, but in our world today that is virtually (literally) impossible in almost anything.
Utopia is a beautiful thing, but is only an illusion. At the college level some have had to deal with small school and mid D1 issues and others had to deal with "power school" issues, but regardless of the almighty NCAA we all survived and those that follow will also survive. MLB will also survive because of the issues that are presented will be resolved within the business structure. After all it is there ball and their backyard

Give me all of the facts, every players name, publish the investigation, players come clean with their involvement (honestly), don't hand out bits and pieces to keep me guessing.
As the character in Shakespeare's Henry VI, says "kill all the lawyers". Bits and pieces are what makes business business.

Then when I am presented all of the facts, I will form an opinion (which again I am entitled to) and come to my own conclusions. I might even be forgiving.
TPM, besides our mutual passion for baseball we are both stubborn to the hilt and some issues will not have a "forgiveness factor" Roll Eyes IMHO Wink
Last edited by rz1
tpm
baseball is and will remain americas past time. it is americas game. if it wasn't this site wouldn't be what it is. imo.

but i do think mlb is not looking to catch any one doing anything wrong. they will stick with catching the minor leaguers doing just about anything wrong. this steroid scandal,is a farce. and really.........who cares.
i would like to know how many players did steroids and stunk it up? that would be interesting to me. i think mlb is becoming like wrestling in some way's. it's entertainment. but it's my favorite form of entertainment,even all the drama that goes with it.
rz,
I am not going to pick apart what you have said, as you have done with my post,not that I agree or disagree with points that you have made, what's the purpose.

Play baseball made a statement on another thread about how she is sick of the lies and the deceit that exists. I agree.

My opinions don't change because our player is now part of the "business".

The sad part is that the purity and innocense of the game has disappeared.

JMO.
Last edited by TPM
quote:

TPM, While I do agree with you on this, the truth is that all that stuff left the game a hundred years ago, at least at the professional level.

Actually, other than this steroid problem, the game might actually be even more wholesome than it was many years ago.

I'm guessing had these drugs existed back then, we would have had the problem back then.
quote:
Originally posted by PGStaff:
...the truth is that all that stuff left the game a hundred years ago, at least at the professional level.

Actually, other than this steroid problem, the game might actually be even more wholesome than it was many years ago.

I'm guessing had these drugs existed back then, we would have had the problem back then.

Speaking of "Another Interesting Read":

I just started reading "Crazy '08" and the following seems to ring true (emphasis mine):

"...If you were to beam yourself back to a 1908 football or basketball game, the play would look unskilled, the strategies primitive, and much of the action incomprehensible. Take yourself out to the ball game, though, and you would be right at home. Other than the ablution of freak pitches (1920), the lowering of the pitcher's mound (1969), and the institution of the designated-hitter abomination (1973), baseball has had no major on-field rule changes in the last century."

Another book, "The Cheater's Guide to Baseball" chronicles the history of ballplayers' efforts to gain an edge.

Last edited by infidel_08
quote:
Originally posted by PGStaff:

Can you give specifics? I would like to know what's wholesome about players injecting HGH from a dentist (used as an example). A slugger who would go into the HOF regardless of his record and denying any use (as an example). And everyone knowing about years of steroid use but turning heads and giving information for their own benefits when they need to.

I get the impression from some people (not necessarily here), oh "it's part of the game in the game" is acceptible. That's a great attitude to pass to our younger readers who work hard to get better and better everyday yet see and KNOW that others are using things that may or may not make them better.
quote:
Can you give specifics? I would like to know what's wholesome about players injecting HGH from a dentist (used as an example).
sure ... "relative to" -

wife beating, grand theft, cocaine, narcotics, alcohol, assault w/a gun, tax fraud, girlfriend beating, jail break, more narcotics, probation violation, more assault, soliciting prostitution ... and on and on Frown

all that for one guy ...

makes Byrd look like a chior-boyWink
Last edited by Bee>
quote:
Originally posted by Bee>:
quote:
Can you give specifics? I would like to know what's wholesome about players injecting HGH from a dentist (used as an example).
sure ...

wife beating, grand theft, cocaine, narcotics, alcohol, assault w/a gun, tax fraud, jail break, more narcotics, probation violation, soliciting prostitution ... and on and on Frown

all that for one guy ...

makes Byrd look like a chior-boyWink

Bee,
You took my quote out of context. PG says the game is more wholesome than it was years ago, I was asking for examples. What could be worse than players taking illegal substances (and everyone turning heads) to make themselves better, let alone taking something that can kill htem later on.
To be exact, here is what I said.

quote:

You ask...
quote:

Wasn't trying to send a message to young people???

If I did send a message it would be that other than illegal drugs, baseball is a great and wholesome game.

I'd rather send that message as a promoter of the game, than to tell all the young people and the unknowing parents...
quote:

That would be concentrating on the negative.

What is wholesome about the game?

Well it's not the drugs... Don' think I said that!

But each year there are more and more MLB players who have excelled at academics and have college degrees. There is a much lower number of alcoholics in the game. Players don't smoke or chew as much as in years gone by. There is much more media coverage that keeps players from hiding things from the public. Players are in better condition now than years ago (think Babe Ruth, Beer and Hotdogs) Little League and College baseball are drawing record numbers of new fans because of media coverage. There are a lot less crooked players and even crooked umpires. (remember the Black Sox), players now days don't sharpen their spikes to cut up their opponents, like Ty Cobb. I could go on and on, but my point is OTHER THAN DRUGS, baseball is more wholesome than ever. You just have to study the history to realize that.
I would never give Barry Bonds - or any of these other cheaters and liars the satisfaction of ruining the game for me.

They can take the money - and the rest of the garbage - but they cant have that.
Ever.

They cant buy it - they cant sue for it - and they cant inject another magic substance and make it all go away. LOL

Baseball is bigger than all of these s-k-a-n-k-s.
Last edited by itsinthegame

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.