Skip to main content

Do you really think a college coach and/or pro-scout can’t tell that your son has received instruction or not? If you reach the level where you are being evaluated by pro-scouts and college coaches I think it is presumed that you have received some instruction at some point. IMHO I think they can tell just how good that instruction has been. Another thing, I don’t think they give a horses-patoot.

Evaluating talent and ability, pre-performance, i.e. pro-prospect/college-prospect, is subjective. If you don’t have “it”, you will eventually be “found out”, no matter how hard you work, where you are playing, and/or who is giving the instruction. God given talent + natural ability + X-Factor + insatiable work ethic + the ability to adjust + opportunity, peppered with a little luck = HOF greatness. Mention the “5 tools” and we really have a moving target. But like the 5 tools, different degrees of ability and talent fit different programs, the economic reality of modern baseball, college or pro. Fungo always gets the grey matter workin’.

Worry about the things you have control over. Show up early, work your *ss off, and have fun. Who knows where you’ll end up!
quote:
Originally posted by AParent:
Chicks

I am going way out on a limb with this one but...

Most often when they see a player and think -
"boy, just what can we do with him when we give him expert insturction!" - it's because they see raw talent with easily recognizable flaws that can be corrected with good instruction.

If this kid is good because of years of expert instruction those types of flaws would have been corrected years ago and the scouts would not have that - wow we can fix that issue.

Scouts may not be perfect, but they are a whole lot smarter than we sometimes give them credit for.

AP,
This kid ain't got many flaws, he is on the edge of greatness.
quote:
Originally posted by rz1:
quote:
I am not sure whether he or the college recruiting coach cares if a player has had paid lessons all of his life or not.

TPM, The spin on this is that if a player has had lessons, and has learned from those lessons, there may be more of a perception that he is coachable. It's not given, but it may be an intangable on the plus side at recruiting time.

RZ,
and this kid is very coachable, great point.
chicks

quote:
This kid aint got many flaws, he's on the edge of greatness

quote:
and this kid is very coachable, great point

If you really believe it was the coaching that made this kid what he is I would suggest that you get your son to this kids coach and quick.

Otherwise, perhaps maybe this kid really as born with a whole lot of natural talent - that was merely honed by lessons.

Hard to say.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.