Skip to main content

Are Area Code Tryouts worth doing?  Son was emailed an invite, which I assumed was like a marketing thing - son wants to go.  Son also has a crazy busy travel schedule this summer with his team and also has commitments for school baseball, so it will be tough for him to be there.  Is this really a "everyone is invited" or "no one makes it" type of thing?  I know close to nothing about this and was surprised son was interested.  Thanks!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It says Area Code Tryout?  Yes, appears to be totally free.  One of the tryouts is not too far away, but the summer travel team schedule has us running between 4 states in 2 months, so...crazy to me.  But I really know close to nothing else about this "invite" (if it is a real "invite" and if so, how he received it and if that even matters, haha).

Last edited by ILoveBaseball04

Agree, if it is the actual Area Code tryout, well worth attending. Lots of scouts and college coaches in attendance at the event. Usually all the best players from the area are there. Even if your son is not on their immediate list, there is a chance to open some eyes. There were a couple of kids on my son's AC team that made the team based on their performance at the tryouts.

During the 17 years of Area Code tryouts & games, I attended every tryout East to West Coast. Many College Coaches followed my schedule.

At each tryout, I arranged the pitchers ,who drove the longest distance to pitch 1st so they return home and save a Hotel night. We average 40 College Coaches at each tryout and 70 Pro Scouts. The "network" was outstanding.

I was also evaluating players with a personal interview for our American National Team in the Goodwill Series with the National HS Teams from Japan, Korea and Australia.

Bob

Yes, skip the travel team and go to the area code tryout!  An MLB scout must recommend your player to get an invite.  It is definitely not a marketing thing.

Even if he doesn't make the team, he gets the opportunity to make an impression (plus the hat/shirt).  My son, who is a minor league player right now, still wears his Area Code hat now and then!  BTW, my son did not make his Area Code team, lol.  Also, it helps immensely with summer league recruitment if you have an Area Code invite.  Your son is not crazy.  He should go.

it is the single best event your son can go to as long it is one of the tryouts, not identifier. To be invited your son has to be recommended by a professional scout.

I pulled this down from their website, so if it is one of these dates/locations you are golden. If not dig deeper.

Best of luck.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0
@BOF posted:

it is the single best event your son can go to as long it is one of the tryouts, not identifier. To be invited your son has to be recommended by a professional scout.

I pulled this down from their website, so if it is one of these dates/locations you are golden. If not dig deeper.

Best of luck.

Yep, those are the dates and he plans to attend one of those.    BUT, he is a 2026 and his invite says UNDERCLASS (which looks like it is for 2026s and 2027s).  Does that mean it is not the real deal?  Only curious because of the crazy week he will have trying to fit it in (although right now we plan to have him do it).  Thanks, again!

Last edited by ILoveBaseball04

Much respect!!!!

The experience on this board is amazing - I had no idea!  THANK YOU!!!

The best advice I could give every parent in the journey is to stay in the moment (current level), and to understand that much is uncontrollable and most (eventually all) of what can be, is in the hands of the athlete. I feel like our jobs as parents is to support and finance within our abilities, and love the game and most importantly love them...

I didn't find this site until my kid had completed his first MLB season (rule 5'd), he has 184 appearances to date, and will have an opportunity (God willing) for more after rehabbing from TJS. The minor league grind took a lot out of me, and when I found this site it was the right time to enjoy talking baseball again. There is an amazing amount of knowledge here, my self directed role is to prove that a parent can be mostly ignorant to the process and if your kid is gifted, hard working and lucky things can work out...

@ILoveBaseball04 @TPM

Like TPM I have been out of the recruiting process for over 13yrs (ugh....but her longer than me ) My son was invited as a Jr and a Sr, although at the time they did not have an "underclass". Again, I would say that the SINGLE BEST event my son went to were the Area Code tryouts and they were completely free. If your son was put on the list by a scout then GO! is my advice. The only other event that had as many dedicated scouts looking only at players on the field were the tryouts (and game) for the Arizona Fall Classic Academic game. Best of luck on your journey!

Last edited by BOF

Yep, those are the dates and he plans to attend one of those.    BUT, he is a 2026 and his invite says UNDERCLASS (which looks like it is for 2026s and 2027s).  Does that mean it is not the real deal?  Only curious because of the crazy week he will have trying to fit it in (although right now we plan to have him do it).  Thanks, again!

Even if it is the underclass, it is still the real deal. The AC games have two weekends, one is for the players who are going into their senior year of high school (2025). The other is for underclass (2026 & 2027).  Both weekends are ran/coached by MLB scouts.

@NY posted:

My son is a LHP T93 Texas, pitch like a boss JR in HS, committed to a P5. Never ever receive a tryout invite. I think it’s one of the best event to go too if you get the opportunity. Wish we gotten an invite.

The submission form displays my email so I deleted.

Google "2024 Area Code" for form.

Never say never.

Last edited by TPM

During the 17 years of the AC games, I operated the games like a "stage show". The players the "actors".  The Pro Scouts, College Coaches & agents- the audience. Add annual visit from Tommy to inspire his Dodgers AC team.

IN San Diego one year we used Jack Murphy Stadium for the 1st day workout.

Tom House was our "pitching instructor" and Eric Davis and Dusty Baker our hitting advisors. Early in the morning I received a phone call from Reggie Waller the Padres Scouting Director.

"Bob, he said you cannot use the Stadium from Noon to 12:30 PM". After he told me the reason, I said tell no one. At 5 minutes to noon, I informed the players to move to the corners of Jack Murphy Stadium.

At noon, "flares' were shot into the sky and three cargo planes emerge over the Stadium and 20 Navy Seals parachuted into the Stadium outfield.

"My best promotion". "Thanks for the memories"!

Bob

Last edited by Consultant

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.