Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

That is impressive. However, someone is going to get a hit off of him unless he has something to keep the MLB hitters from sitting on a fastball...which will be equally as impressive. We'll see what he has in a few weeks when he is supposedly getting "the call". The Reds may be for real this year, and this guy may help them do it. The Cardinals have been struggling against left handed pitching for some reason that I can't figure out.
Last edited by fenwaysouth
SultanofSwat:
Photoshop? Why does it say "105!!!" ?Pic of gun

Clearly the Yahoo Sports photo has been modified. A Stalker gun does not display in red numbers. It has red backlighting which shows up in low-light situations, but the numbers are still black. And more importantly, Stalker guns don't have exclamation points on the readout. In fact, given the controversies concerning photoshopped pictures appearing in "mainstream" news stories over the last few years, I'm surprised that AP or Yahoo even used such a photo.

Note that I'm NOT saying that Chapman didn't actually hit 105, only that the photo of the gun has been doctored.
quote:
Originally posted by Three Bagger:
Call me pessimistic, but I can't help but wonder when his arm is going to fly apart throwing at that velocity. Hopefully, things will work out for him and Dusty uses him carefully.

I am with you, this is the shame in MLB. He needs lots of work, lots of mechanical stuff so he doesn't blow his arm off, that's what milb is for, just because he throws that hard doesn't mean he's ready. JMO.
quote:
Originally posted by Three Bagger:
Call me pessimistic, but I can't help but wonder when his arm is going to fly apart throwing at that velocity. Hopefully, things will work out for him and Dusty uses him carefully.

Dusty scares me with the way he uses arms. Remember he was the manager with the Cubs when Prior and Wood came up. Both hard throwing young pitchers who both got hurt and not really ever the same. Not saying it was Dusty's fault but the Cubs went through some pitchers during that time and there has to be a reason somewhere.
It's not just the velocity. This kid also has a devastating slider. He signed a contract with the Reds for something like $30 million. At that price, and being 22 years old, I doubt they thought he'd spend a long time in the Minor Leagues.

If Chapman throws his slider for strikes, he is going to be quite a force. If he throws his changeup near the strike zone, he will be the best pitcher in baseball. Of course, that's if he stays healthy. In the meantime, no matter what happens, this is going to be very interesting.
The Angels used a loophole involving the DL to have K-Rod eligible for the playoffs in 2002. I think that loophole has since been closed, but not positive. Regardless, CADad is right in the effect Chapman could have in the playoffs being similar to that of K-Rod.

PG- Chapman was pounding the zone with the fastball and slider last night...slider looked virtually unhittable. I guess that answers the other poster above who was worried that MLB hitters will hit him if he relies on fastballs alone.

With Chapman, Alonso, and the rumors of opening Cuba back up, maybe it's time for PG Cuba?!?!
Last edited by Emanski's Heroes
Hello Dr. Andrews Office....

Yes, This is the Cincinnati Reds training staff, we would like to make an appointment for one of our pitchers please....

Yes, and what seems to be the problem?

Nothing yet, but he was gunned at 105......

oh my, we will alert the Dr Andrews immediatey...

Obviously I hope this never happens, but I remember from a previous report on elbow injuries amongst pitchers that the human limit for velocity was estimated at around 103....anything over that involved the stretching and separating of elbow joint.....
CADad,

Looks like you could have something in your comparison to Frankie Rodriguez. A guy like this could really help a dark horse team in the playoffs surprise a lot of people. Of course it's a lot of pressure and we've got to see him for the next month as they try him out against tougher parts of the lineup and in higher pressure situations. 103 again! That's something though.
quote:
Originally posted by Bear:
quote:
Originally posted by TPM:
...... He's got gorilla arms, ....

JMO.

I find your "JMO" comment racial.
This will be reported.

Racial comments from you about a talented young MLB pitcher reveals ignorance and is disgusting.

They call my son the gorilla, and he's a white boy.
Take it as you wish, it was not meant to be racial.
You come here often making off color remarks, posted jokes, etc. against women, that's ok? You are the one who is disgusting.

Go ahead report me.
Last edited by TPM
quote:
Originally posted by Bear:
quote:
Originally posted by TPM:
...... He's got gorilla arms, ....

JMO.

I find your "JMO" comment racial.
This will be reported.

I find it useful to interpret your use of the screen-name "Bear" as an offensive caricature depiction of a mascot that probably unfairly stereotypes Native Americans.

I just got myself outraged. I need to report this to somebody.

(Hopefully, being so publicly outraged will attract lots of attention, and people will think I'm up to something important...)
quote:

If Chapman throws his slider for strikes, he is going to be quite a force. If he throws his changeup near the strike zone, he will be the best pitcher in baseball. Of course, that's if he stays healthy. In the meantime, no matter what happens, this is going to be very interesting.

Staying healthy is what its all about. We've certainly learned that from the Strasburg situation.

Stu

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.