Skip to main content

I am going to be trying out for my schools freshman team this spring and was wondering how many students I can expect to be competing against for the 16 available spots on the roster. How many tryout participants should I expect there to be in a class of 220 students? I know that every school will be different but what would be a good estimate? 

Nicholas Asmar

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi Nick, are you in high school?  How many teams does your school field?  My son's high school has 450 per class, some years they only have a varsity and JV team and no freshman team because not enough players (freshmen are put on JV).  When they do have a freshman team, they only cut kids who have never played before, or who have bad attitudes.  So it really depends on your community, and which of the youth baseball players plan to do so in high school, vs doing other things in the spring. 

Hi Nick,

Welcome to the site.  This site can be helpful to you in many ways but probably not this one.  Too many variables.  Even within each geographical region, there are high schools of widely different sizes, different levels of quality programs and varying degrees of interest.  Many HS's don't even have a freshman program... some don't even have JV.  Just ask some of the other players in the program.  It doesn't really matter, though.  Regardless of whether it is 16 or 160, you just need to be good enough to earn one of the spots.  And the only thing you can control is to work hard between now and then to be the best player you can be.  

Don’t concern yourself how many players tryout. Be prepared. Put in the work. Show up for tryouts in mid season form. Do your best. Never stop hustling. Then, you will get what you deserve.

Don't practice to be good enough to make the team. Practice to be as good of a player as you can be on the team. Most importantly, constantly strive to be better tomorrow than you are today. And the next day, the next week, the next month, the next year. 

Last edited by RJM

Son's graduating class had close to 700 with maybe 60 - 70 trying out for freshman ball.  Son went in having the confidence he was able to make the team, just his sights were set on the JV team as a freshman.  As others have mentioned, do what you can control.  Put in the hard work and when tryouts come work and practice harder than everyone else.  Believe in yourself, you can never go wrong.

It depends, my son's school is like Trust in Him, all boys HS with >500 student per grade. His frosh tryouts had almost 70 kids. His friend goes to a coed school with less than 100 students per grade so the baseball tryout was for "JV" and you made the team as long as you sign up on time. As many stated here,  your focus should be the best player on the field. Come to the tryouts prepared and hustle your arse off...thing you CAN control.

@Nick Asmar posted:

I am going to be trying out for my schools freshman team this spring and was wondering how many students I can expect to be competing against for the 16 available spots on the roster. How many tryout participants should I expect there to be in a class of 220 students? I know that every school will be different but what would be a good estimate? 

Turns out my school might not even have enough players for a freshman team. I was worried about the wrong things. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.