Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by Baseballman45:
Myabe OP can take the hill for North and relive the glory days

Been there, done that during OP's 'glory days'. Still have nightmares about 90+ heat coming from the left side of the mound and that was during B.P.! Trust me when I say that the guy could flat out bring it and was just wild enough to make you not dig in. Then he had a hook that would fall off the table and you'd be frozen pizza just standing there as it came in for a strike. If you don't believe me, ask MMWS, F.O. and anyone else around McKinney back in 'glory days'. The MHS staff in 1981 was pretty stout with him, another big righty who could bring it and is known to hang around these parts and probably the fastest player I've ever seen run on a baseball field...little brother to F.O. Not to mention a CF who would run through a brick wall to make a catch, a 1B who could mash, a C with a serious gun. I was blessed to have a front row seat as a freshman on the team. Ah yes, 'glory days' they were indeed to be a part of the first team from McKinney to go to Austin.
Last edited by L.A.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Panther Dad:
This is news to you, Sandy/Robert? I thought another nearby school led the Metroplex in move-ins this year. Cool

Rumors are there was a Drew Johnson sighting in McKinney last night for a team wearing blue. And a little birdie told me that the Wolves "dominated" the Lions....okok, I'm just stirring it up a bit with my choice of words there. Wink

Roll Eyes
quote:
Originally posted by Robert S.:
PD,

After 9 years, I would think you would know it is SPENGLER! Frown

And Kirk was right, they killed us, must have been by at least 12 runs. I just hope we don't finish last in 9-4A or worse, I hope OP Son doesn't hurt any of our little fellas at old MHS.

Wow, this is kind of neat. Thanks for the permission Sandy.

Robert S (spanky) was kind enough to allow me to sit with him him the press box last night. At the end of the scrimmage BOTH of us agreed the contest ended in a 5-5 tie. Nuff said!
quote:
Originally posted by tigerbalm:
Wouldn't we all like one more shot. Problem is, these high tech bats - not sure it would be like the old days.

Tiger....you're probably right about the bat thing......

L.A. .....you were being WAY too nice when you said "just wild enough". I probably walked an average of 10 guys per 7 innings! I didn't have a clue where the ball was going. I don't ever remember trying to throw to a spot back in HS. I just reared back and chunked it and wherever it went, it went. I remember warming up before a game during a tournament at our place and there was a scout with the O's there. I threw a pitch, it sailed over the fence and hit a car. It happened to be the O's scouts rental car! I put a huge dent in the door!

Darrell Smith, FO's little brother, was an awesome shortstop back in the day. He was later drafted out of college but didn't sign. Our catcher, Bubba Jackson was as good a HS catcher as you'll ever see. He was a 9th round draft pick by Montreal out of HS and later starred at TCU before playing in the Rangers organization for several years. Some of you may remember Jake Luce from last years Allen Eagle team. Bubba is his uncle. Jake is now playing at Blinn College.

David Gunter, otherwise known as MMWS was as fast as greased lightning and played a heck of a SS my junior year. Played at Ranger JC for a couple of years!

I can't count on two hands how many times Roger Hornbeck got me out of a jam with the bases loaded (walks, of course) and nobody out!

Brad Douglas, Jack Rhodes and Darrell Meador roamed the OF for us. Brad played at OU and then played some independent ball after that. Jack played JC ball somewhere down south. Mike Sessom was our first baseman. Great athlete. I guy I love to death. Some of you may know Mike from helping keep the scoreboard at a lot of North athletic events. It may not be easy for him to get where he's going now because of his accident several years ago, but you won't find a better guy anywhere. Jimmy Hudson played second base. Keith Biggs at third. Both good athletes.

Coach Hales, who later became McKinney's head coach for about 20 something years was an assistant coach back then. Jerry Crumpton, who is now the golf coach at McKinney Boyd was the head coach. He taught me a lot about baseball and about life. Great coaches!

Changeup played for Rockwall then and they gave us a run for our money every year. It always came down to us and them for the district championship. Then DeSoto was our nemisis in the playoffs. They put us out of the playoffs my sophomore and junior years. We got by them my senior year and the rest is history!

Sorry for the long post for those of you still reading this..if any!........I just kept thinking of things about that 81' team. As you said LA, the first team to go to Austin from McKinney. It's still hard for me to root against MHS when North plays them, to be honest. I have lot's of great memories in the blue and gold! cry

Those were the (glory) days!
Last edited by Old Pitcher
OP - truly enjoyed the trip down memory lane. Makes me think of a better day (or is it?).

Athletes were athletes, they played everything. Even were manly in shorts that barely covered their a**.

Parents paid about $50 to play summer baseball, and would have never paid $350 for a bat. Playing for your high school was the greatest of honor - it was like a brotherhood. Parents didn't interfer with coaches and knew their place was to support and not get their kids out of trouble at the drop of a hat (general statement regarding all kids, not baseball players.

Maybe it's the same and I don't realize it, but it feels different. Probably just being nostalgic, but I wonder if kids will ever realize to soak it all in now, as it is so fleeting. That the time of no responsibility and just hanging with the boys on the field days are almost gone.
9-4A finish prediction:

1- McKinney HS best pitching staff in area. hitting could pose a problem.

2. Frisco- one of best lefties in area with solid
second and third pitcher. best offense in district

3. McKinney North- one trick pony on the mound and at the plate.

Boyd sneaking around the chicken coup. However, they can't hit any of the top 3 teams piching.
A long, long time ago... I can still remember how

That music used to make me smile.

He could run................

About an hour before a FB game on a Friday night, I took him to the team doc Simms to have a hematoma on his back drained. I had to leave the room and passed out on doc Simms back steps.

He got up, played, and ran back two punts for TD's that night, probably kicked the extra points, and a field goal, too.

But, he's a grandpa now.

DJ II hit the world this weekend at a whopping 1 lb and 7 ounces. Twelve inches long.
Last edited by FormerObserver
F.O. I remember those punt returns. Brother Darrell could flat out fly!

Prayers from a dad who knows a thing, or "two" about tiny babies. My twin girls were 1 lb. 15 oz. and 1 lb. 11 oz. when they were born. They are now healthy 5 year olds who are crazy about Hannah Montana. Please pass on my thoughts and prayers. Are they local? We spent 13 weeks in the NICU at Presby Dallas. Incredible staff there.
quote:
Originally posted by Bring it:
Dodger,

Not to put a crimp in your prediction, but I bet you can't name 4 of the hitters on Frisco's best offense in 9-4A. Nice try on starting some controversy though. Big Grin

I can name 3 the other 6 I can't name but have seen multiple times.

Not trying to start contoversy (you did that with your post about the coaches in 9-4A), just making a prediction. However, I would like to ammend my earlier prediction:

1- McKinney
2- Frisco
3- Frisco Cent
4- McKinney North

Baseballman45,

McKinney has some proven hitters (very good proven hitters), however they need to prove they can go more than 4 deep at the plate. If they can hit, they will make some noise in the playoffs, if not they will win 9-4A and make an early exit.

McKinney Boyd has 3 quality pitchers but not one is better than McKinney's 1-3, McKinney North's 1, Frisco's 1. Frisco Cent 1 & 2 on par with Boyd but Cent. can hit. I don't think Boyd can hit good pitching. Every game they play against top 4 teams, they will have the second best team on the field.
Last edited by dodger
Dodger,

I think you are underestimating 2 things in regards to Boyd:
1) The entire team returns with a year more experience than they had last year.
2) Coach Milam is one of the best.

Kinard, Burnside, Boleneus & Alves - all hit as well as any other teams top hitters.

Now I will agree there are 6 of 8 teams with a real shot at the playoffs. Makes for one h**l of a district race!
Last edited by Bring it
quote:
Originally posted by Bring it:
Dodger,

I think you are underestimating 2 things in regards to Boyd:
1) The entire team returns with a year more experience than they had last year.
2) Coach Milam is one of the best.

Kinard, Burnside, Boleneus & Alves - all hit as well as any other teams top hitters.

Now I will agree there are 6 of 8 teams with a real shot at the playoffs. Makes for one h**l of a district race!

I know that you were Jr, Soph, Fresh team only last year and the 4 players you mention are good players. But when I look at the players I know on each team, Boyd is 5th best. When Boyd plays North, I think 1-9 Boyd is better if both teams are facing the same pitcher. However, Boyd will face Lackie (at least once) and I think Boyd's hitters will strugle more against Lackie than North hitters will sruggle against, Kinard or Alves or Mann or ?.

I think Boyd's match-up vs. other teams becomes evenmore lopsided.
quote:
OP - truly enjoyed the trip down memory lane. Makes me think of a better day (or is it?).

OP- Made me remember my HS days (81-Arlington Heights) In 1980, we had a great run in 5-A with Turner Gill,and Linn Mullins our 1,2 and a freshman named Tim Mauser,, We had a closer named Kenny Williams who threw harder than all of them...BTW we beat permian in Football that year to take State 5-A title, to break up there domination of HS football,lost to them in 81,
Link copied to your clipboard.