Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Talked with the Marucci sales rep by phone last week and he said the White Marucci was selling exceptionally well. He also told me they are coming out in September or October with a Black Marucci weighted more on the barrel end. Also for the fall leagues like BBI, can't we still use the besr bats and that BBCOR is not mandated until January 2012. Is that correct?
quote:
Originally posted by Newscout:
Did lessons with two kids that had Marucci and they are not good. Did not sound good nor did it come off the bat very good. The best BBCORE bat so far as I can tell is the new Easton Stealth. Rawlings isn't bad either.

Was it the BESR Stealth, the new Easton is the Speed and the XL series bats? Rawlings are rated very high for the BBCOR's though. Hear the Rip-it is getting great reviews.
To JMartin, to answer your question... no I disagree. The besr bat is still allowed by law until January 1st, so why not use it? Another is that I don't think there is a learning curve. The trampoline effect off the bat is greatly reduced to match wood bats and the sweet spot is much smaller, also like wood bats. But his swing remains the same. His approach at the plate remains the same. His hitting instructor, the head coach at Parish, says the same. And I trust him 100%. Its still a minus 3 bat. You will see plenty of besr bats in the fall leagues. I'm not sure what you mean exactly by a learning curve? He will have from November 1st (end of fall league) to February 12th (first scrimmages)to get the feel of the new bats. I guess that will be his learning curve. Just my opinion. He used the new bats (borrowed from friends)in two tournaments and did fine. No one hit home runs and advantage was to the pitchers. High school baseball will be very, very different in 2012. The Marucci rep also told me that many of the first edition bbcor bats were brought to the market in a hastily fashion, i.e. manufactured quickly after the new law was declared to get into the hands of our kids. Many parents bought quickly, we used wood except when he borrowed for a few at bats. The new models coming out now through October will be, I think, much better weighted and more likable to the kids who waited. We will test the newer models and buy in October.
quote:
Originally posted by Out in LF:
quote:
Did lessons with two kids that had Marucci and they are not good. Did not sound good nor did it come off the bat very good. The best BBCORE bat so far as I can tell is the new Easton Stealth. Rawlings isn't bad either.

Was it the BESR Stealth, the new Easton is the Speed and the XL series bats? Rawlings are rated very high for the BBCOR's though. Hear the Rip-it is getting great reviews.

I saw a kid i've know for many years swing the rip it last night and the ball was jumping off his bat.
Ordering my son one today.
quote:
Originally posted by luvtxball:
To JMartin, to answer your question... no I disagree. The besr bat is still allowed by law until January 1st, so why not use it? Another is that I don't think there is a learning curve. The trampoline effect off the bat is greatly reduced to match wood bats and the sweet spot is much smaller, also like wood bats. But his swing remains the same. His approach at the plate remains the same. His hitting instructor, the head coach at Parish, says the same. And I trust him 100%. Its still a minus 3 bat. You will see plenty of besr bats in the fall leagues. I'm not sure what you mean exactly by a learning curve? He will have from November 1st (end of fall league) to February 12th (first scrimmages)to get the feel of the new bats. I guess that will be his learning curve. Just my opinion. He used the new bats (borrowed from friends)in two tournaments and did fine. No one hit home runs and advantage was to the pitchers. High school baseball will be very, very different in 2012. The Marucci rep also told me that many of the first edition bbcor bats were brought to the market in a hastily fashion, i.e. manufactured quickly after the new law was declared to get into the hands of our kids. Many parents bought quickly, we used wood except when he borrowed for a few at bats. The new models coming out now through October will be, I think, much better weighted and more likable to the kids who waited. We will test the newer models and buy in October.

There is somewhat of a learning curve with these bats. We've seen evidence of this time and time again when high school players compete in a wood bat tournament or league and the offense drops off dramatically. With a drastically reduced sweet spot, the hitter does have to make adjustments based on pitch location, type of pitch, etc. What a hitter could get away with when hitting with a BESR is going to be drastically different when using a BBCOR. If you would rather hold off until the new models come out in October, use wood.
I purchased a Rip It bat for my son just over a month ago. As of today they are currently backordered and there is not a solid timeframe for the next batch of BBCOR Rip It bats. He has used his Rip It bat now for two weeks after waiting 2 weeks on a backorder and absolutely loves it. He used it at a lesson last week and had his batting instructor as well as other instructors asking where he purchased the Rip It bat. Now his high school coach is asking where to purchase and he said they were stil on backorder. I spoke with a Rip It salesman a few weeks ago and he insured me these bats are BBCOR certified. He also said that if they change the specs or deem this bat not legal that they would replace his current bat free of charge. Keep in mind, if they do change the specs, all current BBCOR certified bats will most likely be not legal along with the current Rip It BBCOR bat. So to be brief, all bat manufacturers are in the same boat. Sink or swim.
quote:
Originally posted by Panther Fan:
quote:
Originally posted by Out in LF:
quote:

I saw a kid i've know for many years swing the rip it last night and the ball was jumping off his bat.
Ordering my son one today.

I wonder who that kid was???
Last edited by Catcherz_Dad
Marucci Cat 5 is a very good bat. #1 15U team in Perfect Game used them in FL and I now know why. Purchased one and it is hotter than Rawlings which our team used and the Voodoo Vendetta, which my son played with as well.

I heard White Cat 5 was backordered as well. Marucci is supposedly coming out with newer black model in Sept or Oct.
Panther Fan...regarding the ball just jumping off the bat, really? Every bbcor bat I saw at the sophomore championships did not have the ball jumping off the bat. My son has hit with three or four models and he says they all feel the same. Why is it that the "Rip It" bat does this and every other bbcor bat performs like a wooden bat? Who manufactures the rip it bat? And why are some dads talking about a change in the specs, when the bbcor specs do not even go into play until 1-1-12? Just curious.
quote:
Originally posted by Tx-Husker:
Did any of your kids that like Rip-It swing the Rawlings bat? Interested in how they thought the two compared.

My son did swing the Rawlings 5150 in two tournaments this summer. He wasn't endeared to it for whatever reason. I've read great things about that bat, but it didn't "click" for him. I believe he prefers the Rip-It in large part due to the weight distribution. The Rip-It is very end heavy (similar to a wood bat) and that fits his hitting style.

Again, personal preference plays a very large role in bat selection and that's been said time and time again on these forums. Unfortunately, we as parents have very little to go in when choosing a BBCOR, which makes it a bit of a **** shoot.
quote:
Panther Fan...regarding the ball just jumping off the bat, really? Every bbcor bat I saw at the sophomore championships did not have the ball jumping off the bat. My son has hit with three or four models and he says they all feel the same. Why is it that the "Rip It" bat does this and every other bbcor bat performs like a wooden bat? Who manufactures the rip it bat? And why are some dads talking about a change in the specs, when the bbcor specs do not even go into play until 1-1-12? Just curious.

luvtxball - a good swing will produce the same trampoline effect that we have been accustomed to over the last decade with the BESR bats. The ball will still have the potential to leave the park regardless of the decreased sweet spot. What is gone are the days of the poorly hit ball exiting the park. In the case of the kid that Panther Fan was talking about, he can clear the fence with wood. Therefore, your synopsis of all BBCOR bats performing like wood, may not be totally incorrect. Again, it comes down to preference. And you know as well as I do that if your son thinks there's something wrong with a bat, he'll have it in his head to the point that it will effect his AB's. Meaning, that if he thinks the bat has pop, then he feels like he can be productive with that bat. I don't know that the technology differs greatly between the bat makers enough to say that one has pop and one doesn't, but the Rip-It is effective. I won't lay any claims outside of that at this point.

The Rip-It is manufactured by Rip-It.

BBCOR specs have been in place for over a year already. The NCAA went to the BBCOR standards this past season, as well as all high schools in California. Several bats have fallen out of certification in that time frame and had to be re certified with revamped models.
quote:

You can really tell if you hit the sweet spot with the Rip-it by the sound. In the game I saw last night a kid hit a 375 ft laser and it sounded like a wood bat later in the game there was a kid from the other team useing one, he hit a line shot over our centerfielders head one hoped the fence 400ft.
but when he hit it was more of a ting sound. he hit the sweet spot.

What im trying to say is that it appears to be more forgiving then the other bbcor bats that I've seen.
quote:
Originally posted by Panther Fan:
quote:

You can really tell if you hit the sweet spot with the Rip-it by the sound. In the game I saw last night a kid hit a 375 ft laser and it sounded like a wood bat later in the game there was a kid from the other team useing one, he hit a line shot over our centerfielders head one hoped the fence 400ft.
but when he hit it was more of a ting sound. he hit the sweet spot.

What im trying to say is that it appears to be more forgiving then the other bbcor bats that I've seen.

I would say that is an accurate review of this bat. Maybe that's what will better separate these BBCOR's - the ability to "miss" and still get good results.
quote:
Catcherz_Dad, Panther and TxHusker: all good responses, was just curious how it seemed rip it came out of nowhere and now has the hot bat. Thanks for al the input.

In this case, everyone started off on the same foot and with the same standards and restrictions. Really any one's game in that scenario. Time will tell which bat is more widely loved, adorned, and appreciated. This season will be interesting.
With the performance being "standardized", and if the player likes the weight distribution then the next criteria would be cost....and the Rip It is half the price of the others. I suspect the dugouts will be filled with most of the brands available. There will always be those with brand loyality or those that think more $$$ means better performance. Just can't wait to see how the some of the high-powered fly ball hitting teams fair with the change. I look for team speed to be very important on those balls in the gap that might not now make it to the wall. Better be running out of the box or be meat at 2nd!!!!!
Arlington A's required all players this past summer to swing BBCOR. Several boys purchased the Kelley brand BBCOR. My son hit a couple near the fence and went yard to the parking lot at Keller HS. They all seem to handle the Kelley brand BBCOR well.
With the Kelley 2011 purchase comes a good trade in policy if returned before one year. More than likely we will stick with the Kelley 2012 model.
With that said, the RIP-IT 2011 model is a good one also. I believe part of the attraction on the RIP-IT is the sound it makes. You would think it's an old BESR bat because of the Ping sound.
quote:
Originally posted by mj 8:
Arlington A's required all players this past summer to swing BBCOR. Several boys purchased the Kelley brand BBCOR. My son hit a couple near the fence and went yard to the parking lot at Keller HS. They all seem to handle the Kelley brand BBCOR well.
With the Kelley 2011 purchase comes a good trade in policy if returned before one year. More than likely we will stick with the Kelley 2012 model.
With that said, the RIP-IT 2011 model is a good one also. I believe part of the attraction on the RIP-IT is the sound it makes. You would think it's an old BESR bat because of the Ping sound.

That's the key, mj. Find what works and stick with it.
quote:
Originally posted by LadsDad:
Has anyone tried the new, revised Rip-It? I was wondering if it performed as well as the previous one.

My son is a senior and I would prefer not to invest $300 for a bat he will only use one season.

I hear ya on that one. Yes, the Rip-It that we're referring to is the "Recertified" model. My son never tried the original model, so I can't speak to the comparison of the two.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.