Skip to main content

Everyone knows about Ocean Lakes being very talented and same with the arms at PA this year but who do you think will be the sleeper team in the beach this year?

I put my vote on Landstown, They have a very talented group of kids over there. I am pretty sure they are returning just about everyone besides Cameron Day and Colton Langejans. I am looking for Scott Hurrell to put up huge numbers, and there is one other kid there at Landstown that had a huge summer, I am pretty sure is name is Dylan Kirby, I think he hit leadoff for the eagles last year to have a big year.

Anyone else have any sleeper picks in the beach or under the radar players that are looked over or unheard of that could have solid years?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

This year in the beach could be one of the best in years. I think the top six to eight teams in the district will be around or above 500.

I believe Cox was the big loser as far as talent goes with the departure of Grayson Bailey, Tyler Knight, Zach Bach, Chase K, Dennis G. all playing baseball at the next level.

I think FC is the team that returns the most talent.

I think PA, FC, and OL will battle for the top three spots; Landstown, Kellam, Bayside, Salem, Cox will battle for the final five playoff spots.

Tallwood, Kempsville, Green Run will be developing talent for the next year.

If I had to pick today, I would pick PA as your 2011 District Champ and FC as your other playoff team to advance from the playoffs.

If I had to pick a sleeper, I would pick Salem.
Yes I agree bayside she be good on the offensive side but there pitching might be a little shaky.

Also I agree Fc does return tons of talent and should be a real threat.

I look for cox to struggle although they tend to rebuild every year I just dont think they will have the talent this year to compete with the other top teams in the beach.

Salem as a sleeper thats a suprise to me. But hey everyone has there on opinion.
I'm not going to knock Salem as a sleeper pick. With the effort that Coach Z puts into that program anything is possible.

The obvious choice for beach district champion will come out of OL, FC or Cox. However, for a "sleeper" pick I am going to go with Kellam to win the tournament. I think some previously unused talent is going to get an opportunity to break out this year to support that big arm of Turner Bishop.

I think it is a year too early for Landstown. They will be one and done in the tournament again this year.
Kat I do not see cox being a obvious pick for the beach district championship this year. They lost every starter from last years team.

However I do agree with the Kellam as a sleeper they are loaded with a lot of young talent.

Also about Landstown this is there year to make any noise if it is possible. By looking at there website they return I think 11 or 12 Seniors.. In which 7 or 8 of them started on last years team..
It seems that the team with the top 3 pitchers usually wins the district:

PA: Tomchick, LeMaster, Begley
OL: Morimando, Robertson, Clements
FC: Cook, Reinerth, Keith
Landstown: Hurrell, Sandifer
Bayside: Snyder, Justice
Cox: Crouse
Tallwood: Topping
Salem:
Kempsville:
Kellam: Bishop
Green Run:

I am listing most from memory and some may have graduated. Please help out with the potential 2011 top-3 pitchers for each team:
Last edited by redbird5
quote:
Originally posted by VB Baseball:
I think Kellam is a sleeper....they were playing really well at the end of the season with a young squad.

If you have read this weeks sports, Kellam has lost one of their starting pitchers with a wrestling injury. I beleive he is out for the season due to ACL injury.
Its going to be between FC and Pa this year...
who can put runs on the board will be the first place team....
FC will face OL twice and PA will only face OL once.

If the trend continues and nobody can seem to hit the lefty from OL then it will be OL in first. They have returning starters that were successful last year.

Feel very bad for the Kellam kid. Hopefully, he will rehab properly and come back stronger next year. Kellam got whipped up pretty bad a few times last year and this year may produce the same. But their future looks very, very bright.

Remember that Salem and Bayside will take a few that nobody expects to lose. And Cox will always be in the mix.

FC needs to find some pitchers that can get through more than 3 innings to remain competitive.
P.A has a chance to be a good hitting team, besides Thomchic,they do have JR McCoy, Jordan Fairbanks and several others that have a year of Varsity experience but catching could a problem. Jo Jo Owen is not bad but unproven.

F C also has two D 1 pitchers but Yankee 1943 is right, thet have to log innings and find some more inngs, but F.C will be a very good offensive team. O.L will be great and Kellam with that COACHING staff will have that team fighting for the top spot.

Does anyone know if the Kellam player is out? He sure was fun to watch, what a great player,wish him a speedy recovery.
I concur with the top three teams, but Landstown could surprise some people.

Besides Hurrell and Sandifer, juniors like Hinton and Ferrante and sophomore Faison all excelled in the showcase season last summer, they're ready for varsity ball now. In addition to that, their outfield of Ferrante, Dylan Kirby and Hinton/Sandifer may very well be the best defensive outfield in the Beach District.

Pitching depth looks to be what will separate them from the top three, though.
PA, FC, and Ocean lakes will be the top 3, I agree Landstown could be a sleeper, they have tons of talent but are lacking pitching and no real leader on the team, lids to watch are hurl and sandipher but ferrante could make some noise and sophmore faison may be one of the best up and coming all around players in the beach. Kellam is the real deal for at least the next 3 years, their sophmore class is rich with some of the most talented kids in the beach, they will be without bishop this year so that may hurt them.
quote:
Originally posted by playright:
PA, FC, and Ocean lakes will be the top 3, I agree Landstown could be a sleeper, they have tons of talent but are lacking pitching and no real leader on the team, lids to watch are hurl and sandipher but ferrante could make some noise and sophmore faison may be one of the best up and coming all around players in the beach. Kellam is the real deal for at least the next 3 years, their sophmore class is rich with some of the most talented kids in the beach, they will be without bishop this year so that may hurt them.

I think PA has pitching, but their weakness could be they lost Tyler Pitt at catching. FC has Berman a returning Varsity catcher. I give the edge to FC.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.