Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

NO PARTICULAR ORDER BEST 16 year old teams
DALLAS MUSTANGS
DALLAS TIGERS
FORT WORTH CATS
MCKINNEY MARSHALLS
ARLINGTON A'S

I know the Mustangs and cats played in 15 year old aabc world series in owasso last year. the mustangs won it all.

I know the tigers, marshalls, and a's all played in world series, but not sure how they did.
we are right in the middle of an exciting high school baseball season and you guys are talking about 15 and 16 summer teams???????

You should be out cheering on your local high school team.

There are some great races getting ready to unfold lets talk about some of those topics..

come on guys the summer will be here soon so sit back and root your local high school teams on...
Kirk, PD

By no means do I have any dis-respect for your team, you guys have a tremendous pitching staff and defense capable of winning any tournament at any venue... "I feel" that the Tigers while not as deep in pitching as you guys has an offense will carry them further, especially in woodbat tourneys.

I will refrain from comment on the Blackhawks Big Grin
This is the last I'll say about the 17U DBAT vs. 17U Tigers. Whenever these teams play eachother, and both teams play to their ability, the game will come down to the last inning. If one team is up on the other, both teams have enough offense to get themselves back in the ball game in a heart-beat. As a pitcher, I know some of the DBAT hitters pretty well from over the years, and I'm still trying to find one I'd "want" to face. All I must say is if/when we play this year, I hope we have more than 10 people on our team!
John -- I am not entering this debate....yet. The Dallas Tigers website includes a 2008 roster with 10 players, at least 2 of them will not be playing for the team this summer. So, you're assessment of the superiority of their offense is based on 8 players -- or do you have inside scoop? Cool

Likewise the DBAT 17 roster has not been posted. Maybe both teams have a few surprises up their sleeves.

I try to stay away from premature evaluations. Wink (read that right)

-PD
I don't know a whole lot about these 16U teams, but I do know that one team, the Mustangs 16U, has picked up a very good player in Longview Pine Tree's David Perkins.

David is a sophomore for Pine Tree and hits in the #3 spot where he has been hitting from since last year - his freshman year. That's pretty good for a young player starting as a freshman for a very good 4A (currently #4 in the state) team.

David is a very strong kid who loves to hit - hard and often. The Mustangs are very lucky to get him. I was hoping the Tigers would get him. Gustavson is very good about finding players no matter where he has to look to get them.
One of the very best 15u teams this coming up season will be the Texas Hurricanes, they were an elite 24 team last season, giving Team Kelley a run for their money every game they played. I hear they have recruited some very strong players to add to their already potent line-up, and their pitching should be dominant with new pick-ups. They should be one of the very best
Beast,
Has BBI posted schedules yet? What are the 2 better 15s that you mentioned? I think if 15s want to play up they could play in the regular 16s divison that is probably more than they can handle there. BBI should have a pre-season tournament of some kind and only take the top 6 or 8 teams and put them in Premier and the rest go in to the regular league. You should have to earn your way in.. I was also gonna ask you is your son's initials AB?
Patriots 15 are playing in the BBI 16U Select Division.

I wasn't at the 16U BBI Premier meeting over the weekend but the member teams voted some new teams in and the following nine teams will compete in the division this summer:

BBI 16U Premier Division
    Dallas Patriots 16 - Red
    Dallas Patriots 16 - Blue
    Dallas Tigers 16
    DBAT 16
    FW Cats 16
    Little Heroes 16
    Team Texas 16
    Texas Raptors 16
    Texas Sports 16
Last edited by Frozen Ropes GM
JustJ - no sore spot... just curious how a group of coaches can put together their own league, (not BBI putting it together) have an organization (BBI) do all adminstrative work for them... they make their rules/guidlines, add teams they want - and yet someone - like yourself - doesn't like the way they do their own thing....

Just curious why it even matters to you...
quote:
Originally posted by justj03:
Its an absolute joke how they pick teams for the upper division. The good ol boy network needs to go away and teams should be able to make it based on their talent and accomplishments the previous year and not only if they are a part of a big organization.

Case of sour grapes? Start playing in tournaments against the "Big Boys" and show them you can compete. They've got to let you in then. They want to play the best.
I was under the impression it was the BBI league and not a seperate league, if that is the case its my mistake, and i apologize. As for JAFO, saying play with the big boys, noboby and I mean nobody has played in stronger tournaments and competed as well as we have. Not saying we are a the best team or anything like that, we just want to play against the best, and I feel like we were cheated out of that chance. Again though i was mistaken thinking it was a BBI league, I didn't know the coaches playing in it put it together and are running it. They have every right to do with it as they want
quote:
Originally posted by justj03:
I was under the impression it was the BBI league and not a seperate league, if that is the case its my mistake, and i apologize. As for JAFO, saying play with the big boys, noboby and I mean nobody has played in stronger tournaments and competed as well as we have. Not saying we are a the best team or anything like that, we just want to play against the best, and I feel like we were cheated out of that chance. Again though i was mistaken thinking it was a BBI league, I didn't know the coaches playing in it put it together and are running it. They have every right to do with it as they want

As for justj03....... I guess they/we just don't know who you are. But that's the good thing about the board, you can stay anonymous
JAFO you are right you don't know who we are. We are actualy a 15 yr old team, and there is every possibility we dont have the credentials to play with the best 16 yr olds. I can understand that. I just wanted the oppurtunity to tell everyone with the premier division about our team, and I thought that would happen last night, and that's when I found out they had already made the decision. Its fine though, now that I understand more about the league. Trust me I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes. I just thought we had a very good team and had a chance.
JustJ03, I guess it is my turn to step into the fire. I coach the Hurricanes and we only want to play the best. Over the past 2 years, that is all we have done. We have been invited to the Jr Olympics, which is primarily top U16 teams, but we can't even get the powers that be at BBI to give us a chance to prove ourselves. I promise you that whoever takes the field against us, win or lose, will know they were in a street fight. BBI told me that we would have the chance to prove ourselves, either in a meeting or on the field, and then the decision would be made on wheather or not we play Premier. This never happened.

Like many of the top teams, most of our boys start on their Varsity teams, we are not an also-ran.

I am not asking for anyone to GIVE us anything...play us, and then decide.

Any takers? Having a round robin May 19-20
quote:
I promise you that whoever takes the field against us, win or lose, will know they were in a street fight Eek

As for the Junior Olympics, unless you have 3 or more legitimate pro prospects, there's really no need to go down there. You can acheive the same thing from playing in almost any other tournament if you show up down there without legitimate guys. Haven't seen your roster, but if you feel like you have these type of players, then it will be a wonderful event, and will get those particular prospects on people's radar screens at a young age. I am aware that you guys and Kelley have played outstanding competition over the last few years, and I will say that the Jr. Olympics definitely will provide great competition.

The Premier League won't let 15 year old teams in there, because they haven't played anyone in the 15/16 age group yet to measure up against. Evidently, the current coaches with teams in the Premier League will evaluate teams this Summer to see if they belong in the Premier League or not. I will say that there are probably a few 15 year old teams out there who could compete and do well in the Premier League, however, it is essentially a 16 year old league this year and most likely will be in the future. What you need to do is take care of your business this year as a 15 year old team, and you should be selected to play in the 16 year old league. Best of luck to you all.
Last edited by NorTex Baseball
Thanks NorTex. Good comments. I think where our frustration came from was being told one thing, telling us to pay our fee, come talk to the U16 coaches, and then nothing other than "go play 15's". I am quite sure there will be more than ample competiton in the U16 league...no issues there.

Ran into one of your players who said you have a nice team..good luck.

Want to play the round robin May 19-20?
Gentlemen,

The top leagues have to implement reasonable limits on the number of teams that participate there -- otherwise, they become watered down and eventually mediocre. This is not pointed at any one team but, many times, it does not benefit an older team to play a younger team. The younger team can walk away with a sense of satisfaction in playing tough. The older team is "supposed" to win. They don't generally get better by beating younger teams. The younger teams benefit, the older teams...not as much. Most 15 year old teams -- NOT ALL, but most -- will not beat the top 16 year old teams. There are exceptions. It changes a little in 18U based on the draft, player's commitments, etc.

The number of freshmen playing varsity baseball in the area is a topic for another discussion.

I have no direct connection to BBI or the guys running it. All my knowledge is based on experience from my son's team playing there. Lately, the Premier divisions are the best competition in town. I understand why teams want in -- and I understand why the teams there want to limit the number, especially when fitting league games into a larger tournament schedule.

As far as the Junior Olympic tournaments and such ---- are they really that exclusive? Got a grand? -- I bet you get in. Again, they are great tournaments. I'm sure there are teams that cannot get in. But with 144 teams entering, not all are "elite".

I hope I don't sound critical. Certainly, teams have opportunities to prove themselves on the field -- in all age groups. One way is to establish a reputation by winning everything you can win.....win every 15 yr old tournament....become known as winners. No one will remember the 4th place team at Waco three weeekends ago, even if it was a 15 yr old team in a 16U tourney. Win state, win your league, win win win! Win in your age group....choose strategic opportunities to play up....then win there too. Smile

Good luck to the younger teams -- it's tough to become "established". For those that are....enjoy the ride.

-PD Cool
Last edited by Panther Dad
Diablo, I guess your right, we will have to prove ourselves again, thought we did it at the Elite 24 last year and all the major tournaments we played in, but this is a new year, and time will tell. You know this forum can get kind of addicting, **** i need to get back to work. See you guys at the ballfield. By the way the team im talking about is the Texas Hurricanes.
Justj03,

Not too many people in the 16 year old age groups are familar with what happens at the younger ages. As of prestigious of an event as the Elite 24 is in the younger ages, it really doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot to guys that are used to playing AABC and Perfect Game, so on. Not saying this is right, because the Elite 24 is an outstanding event, just saying that's how it is, like it or not.
JustJo- Nope you didn't prove anything in Elite 24, because, typically, Elite 24 means absolutly nothing - as NorTX stated... glad to see you are a big fish in a small pond... now at your age group (that you are in now) go play/win in big AABC events - because all of the teams you have been talking about/bashing are AABC affiliated... go beat them...and good luck...
quote:

The Premier League won't let 15 year old teams in there, because they haven't played anyone in the 15/16 age group yet to measure up against.

Actually I believe last year there was a 15 year old team in the Premeir 16 League for BBI. The Dallas Tigers 09s who were 15 last year and now 16. I am pretty sure they competed with the 16 year olds. If anyone else knows more please reply . .
Why am I not surprised that someone would pick out one game and miss the larger picture? With offense to no one, the DBAT team that lost to the Dallas Tiger 15U team last year is not interested in playing them on a regular basis. That will not help our kids get better. Playing the top teams in our age group will help our kids get better. We beat 18 yr old teams last year as well -- and I certainly understand that they don't want to play 16U teams every game. It's not as complicated as it seems to some.
quote:
Originally posted by Panther Dad:
Why am I not surprised that someone would pick out one game and miss the larger picture? With offense to no one, the DBAT team that lost to the Dallas Tiger 15U team last year is not interested in playing them on a regular basis. That will not help our kids get better. Playing the top teams in our age group will help our kids get better. We beat 18 yr old teams last year as well -- and I certainly understand that they don't want to play 16U teams every game. It's not as complicated as it seems to some.

I am Offended!
There will be plenty of competition in the BBI 16U select divison for the 15Us. Its not like it's gonna be an easy run for any 15U team in there. Surely you 15U coaches are not saying you are too good to play with these other 16U teams. I would like to see these teams rosters of freshman they say are "starting" on thier varsity programs at HS. Are they starting on top HS programs? Are thier HS teams still playing after last weekend? I know one 15U team thats here complaining they can't get in Preimer 16U didn't even win the summer league at GABI last year. Last summer they were 14Us playing up.. I am NOT saying this team doesn't have talent. They are very very good. Might just need to tap the brakes a lil slow down some this year and develop thier players and get in 16U P next summer and dominate.
Last edited by P1tickethead110
I honestly dont know why there is so much venom, I wasn't cutting down any team or organization, I attacked the process but once i found out how it worked I can appreciate it and have no problems with it. There is in fact a ton of really top notch teams and players in this area probably more so then anywhere else in the country and the coaches of these team are the best around, we are very lucky to have this kind of competition, it truely makes everyone better. I meant know disrespect at all to any of the teams in the 16 yr division, honestly I dont know anything about them, its just when I heard there was a higher division that is where I wanted to play. I've always wanted to play the very best, we may get beat but I think it make us better. In this time where there is so many teams that sandbag just to get wins, you think that could be appreciated, but obviously not. Again I apologize if I disrespected anyone.
I will add my personal opinion for what it is worth....

Teams that have played in BBI at ages under 15 seem to have had a better shot at getting the votes as opposed to teams that were unfamiliar to the BBI Premier teams. As it has been said here and I have recommended to teams wanting to get into the 18U BBI Premier Divisions:

• Get to know the teams/coaches.
  • Play in the BBI Select Division for one season.
  • Play in similar tournaments that the better 16 and 18 teams play in. AABC Qualifiers are open tournaments and it's not too difficult to make the AABC post season if you're in a AABC league. The Metro Elite tourneys, PG and other local tourneys are venues that many of the Premier teams frequent. The buy-in national tourneys such as Triple Crown, USSSA, etc are just not attractive or considered quality by the better teams at ages 16-18.
I'm familiar with the teams of the BBI Premier Divisions and can tell you that those teams want to add more teams and openly discuss it at meetings. The challenge seems to be teams wanting to add other teams that are similarly oriented as far as summer goals. At the 18U level that would be high-profile players and tournaments. And let's face it....these days, someone's word that they are a deserving team is a far cry from the team that proves it.

I am not speaking here as a rep of our team or the division - it's just my $.02. Take it for what it's worth and don't give up on playng in the BBI Premier Division as it has become a fantastic avenue for competition and exposure.

It doesn't help your team's position to bash teams or call them a 'good old boys' group. That's pretty funny to most of us that know the main reason that the BBI Premier Divisions were created in the first place was to avoid that exact thing.

As the kids used to say....."Don't hate the player - hate the game."
Last edited by Frozen Ropes GM
quote:
Originally posted by DBAT GM:
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Guthrie:
Hey Fuqua,

With all this talk about "Premier" vs. "Select" mumbo jumbo..........

Makes me think.............

How did they come up with the name "Premier" in the first place for a higher level BBI league?

Wink Big Grin Big Grin
MLB was already taken...... Smile

If the league was smart, you would have called it..............

Perfect Code League.

That would have solved all your problems. Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by Panther Dad:

I agree that playing older teams is whats going to get you better and more prepared for baseball in the future. I was just simply trying to say that I think that some younger teams can compete. As I still think the Dallas Tigers 09 will be able to compete with 18 year old teams this year like how DBAT did last year.
Thanks and sorry to offend you PantherDad
TxHSbbfan -- you didn't offend me -- the Tiger team you mention is a special one. The issue is certainly not straighforward.....it's a challenge to maintain a league with the best possible competition without also making it too exclusive. The funny thing is....most of these teams are using the league to quality for AABC post-season play. Their primary focus is on weekend activity, outside of league play.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.