Skip to main content

One of the very best 15u teams this coming up season will be the Texas Hurricanes, they were an elite 24 team last season, giving Team Kelley a run for their money every game they played. I hear they have recruited some very strong players to add to their already potent line-up, and their pitching should be dominant with new pick-ups. They should be one of the very best
Beast,
Has BBI posted schedules yet? What are the 2 better 15s that you mentioned? I think if 15s want to play up they could play in the regular 16s divison that is probably more than they can handle there. BBI should have a pre-season tournament of some kind and only take the top 6 or 8 teams and put them in Premier and the rest go in to the regular league. You should have to earn your way in.. I was also gonna ask you is your son's initials AB?
Patriots 15 are playing in the BBI 16U Select Division.

I wasn't at the 16U BBI Premier meeting over the weekend but the member teams voted some new teams in and the following nine teams will compete in the division this summer:

BBI 16U Premier Division
    Dallas Patriots 16 - Red
    Dallas Patriots 16 - Blue
    Dallas Tigers 16
    DBAT 16
    FW Cats 16
    Little Heroes 16
    Team Texas 16
    Texas Raptors 16
    Texas Sports 16
Last edited by Frozen Ropes GM
JustJ - no sore spot... just curious how a group of coaches can put together their own league, (not BBI putting it together) have an organization (BBI) do all adminstrative work for them... they make their rules/guidlines, add teams they want - and yet someone - like yourself - doesn't like the way they do their own thing....

Just curious why it even matters to you...
quote:
Originally posted by justj03:
Its an absolute joke how they pick teams for the upper division. The good ol boy network needs to go away and teams should be able to make it based on their talent and accomplishments the previous year and not only if they are a part of a big organization.

Case of sour grapes? Start playing in tournaments against the "Big Boys" and show them you can compete. They've got to let you in then. They want to play the best.
I was under the impression it was the BBI league and not a seperate league, if that is the case its my mistake, and i apologize. As for JAFO, saying play with the big boys, noboby and I mean nobody has played in stronger tournaments and competed as well as we have. Not saying we are a the best team or anything like that, we just want to play against the best, and I feel like we were cheated out of that chance. Again though i was mistaken thinking it was a BBI league, I didn't know the coaches playing in it put it together and are running it. They have every right to do with it as they want
quote:
Originally posted by justj03:
I was under the impression it was the BBI league and not a seperate league, if that is the case its my mistake, and i apologize. As for JAFO, saying play with the big boys, noboby and I mean nobody has played in stronger tournaments and competed as well as we have. Not saying we are a the best team or anything like that, we just want to play against the best, and I feel like we were cheated out of that chance. Again though i was mistaken thinking it was a BBI league, I didn't know the coaches playing in it put it together and are running it. They have every right to do with it as they want

As for justj03....... I guess they/we just don't know who you are. But that's the good thing about the board, you can stay anonymous
JAFO you are right you don't know who we are. We are actualy a 15 yr old team, and there is every possibility we dont have the credentials to play with the best 16 yr olds. I can understand that. I just wanted the oppurtunity to tell everyone with the premier division about our team, and I thought that would happen last night, and that's when I found out they had already made the decision. Its fine though, now that I understand more about the league. Trust me I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes. I just thought we had a very good team and had a chance.
JustJ03, I guess it is my turn to step into the fire. I coach the Hurricanes and we only want to play the best. Over the past 2 years, that is all we have done. We have been invited to the Jr Olympics, which is primarily top U16 teams, but we can't even get the powers that be at BBI to give us a chance to prove ourselves. I promise you that whoever takes the field against us, win or lose, will know they were in a street fight. BBI told me that we would have the chance to prove ourselves, either in a meeting or on the field, and then the decision would be made on wheather or not we play Premier. This never happened.

Like many of the top teams, most of our boys start on their Varsity teams, we are not an also-ran.

I am not asking for anyone to GIVE us anything...play us, and then decide.

Any takers? Having a round robin May 19-20
quote:
I promise you that whoever takes the field against us, win or lose, will know they were in a street fight Eek

As for the Junior Olympics, unless you have 3 or more legitimate pro prospects, there's really no need to go down there. You can acheive the same thing from playing in almost any other tournament if you show up down there without legitimate guys. Haven't seen your roster, but if you feel like you have these type of players, then it will be a wonderful event, and will get those particular prospects on people's radar screens at a young age. I am aware that you guys and Kelley have played outstanding competition over the last few years, and I will say that the Jr. Olympics definitely will provide great competition.

The Premier League won't let 15 year old teams in there, because they haven't played anyone in the 15/16 age group yet to measure up against. Evidently, the current coaches with teams in the Premier League will evaluate teams this Summer to see if they belong in the Premier League or not. I will say that there are probably a few 15 year old teams out there who could compete and do well in the Premier League, however, it is essentially a 16 year old league this year and most likely will be in the future. What you need to do is take care of your business this year as a 15 year old team, and you should be selected to play in the 16 year old league. Best of luck to you all.
Last edited by NorTex Baseball
Thanks NorTex. Good comments. I think where our frustration came from was being told one thing, telling us to pay our fee, come talk to the U16 coaches, and then nothing other than "go play 15's". I am quite sure there will be more than ample competiton in the U16 league...no issues there.

Ran into one of your players who said you have a nice team..good luck.

Want to play the round robin May 19-20?
Gentlemen,

The top leagues have to implement reasonable limits on the number of teams that participate there -- otherwise, they become watered down and eventually mediocre. This is not pointed at any one team but, many times, it does not benefit an older team to play a younger team. The younger team can walk away with a sense of satisfaction in playing tough. The older team is "supposed" to win. They don't generally get better by beating younger teams. The younger teams benefit, the older teams...not as much. Most 15 year old teams -- NOT ALL, but most -- will not beat the top 16 year old teams. There are exceptions. It changes a little in 18U based on the draft, player's commitments, etc.

The number of freshmen playing varsity baseball in the area is a topic for another discussion.

I have no direct connection to BBI or the guys running it. All my knowledge is based on experience from my son's team playing there. Lately, the Premier divisions are the best competition in town. I understand why teams want in -- and I understand why the teams there want to limit the number, especially when fitting league games into a larger tournament schedule.

As far as the Junior Olympic tournaments and such ---- are they really that exclusive? Got a grand? -- I bet you get in. Again, they are great tournaments. I'm sure there are teams that cannot get in. But with 144 teams entering, not all are "elite".

I hope I don't sound critical. Certainly, teams have opportunities to prove themselves on the field -- in all age groups. One way is to establish a reputation by winning everything you can win.....win every 15 yr old tournament....become known as winners. No one will remember the 4th place team at Waco three weeekends ago, even if it was a 15 yr old team in a 16U tourney. Win state, win your league, win win win! Win in your age group....choose strategic opportunities to play up....then win there too. Smile

Good luck to the younger teams -- it's tough to become "established". For those that are....enjoy the ride.

-PD Cool
Last edited by Panther Dad
Diablo, I guess your right, we will have to prove ourselves again, thought we did it at the Elite 24 last year and all the major tournaments we played in, but this is a new year, and time will tell. You know this forum can get kind of addicting, **** i need to get back to work. See you guys at the ballfield. By the way the team im talking about is the Texas Hurricanes.
Justj03,

Not too many people in the 16 year old age groups are familar with what happens at the younger ages. As of prestigious of an event as the Elite 24 is in the younger ages, it really doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot to guys that are used to playing AABC and Perfect Game, so on. Not saying this is right, because the Elite 24 is an outstanding event, just saying that's how it is, like it or not.
JustJo- Nope you didn't prove anything in Elite 24, because, typically, Elite 24 means absolutly nothing - as NorTX stated... glad to see you are a big fish in a small pond... now at your age group (that you are in now) go play/win in big AABC events - because all of the teams you have been talking about/bashing are AABC affiliated... go beat them...and good luck...
quote:

The Premier League won't let 15 year old teams in there, because they haven't played anyone in the 15/16 age group yet to measure up against.

Actually I believe last year there was a 15 year old team in the Premeir 16 League for BBI. The Dallas Tigers 09s who were 15 last year and now 16. I am pretty sure they competed with the 16 year olds. If anyone else knows more please reply . .

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.