Skip to main content

I had been talking to the Caltech head coach Kevin Whitehead since I met him at a camp in the summer, eventually leading to a campus tour and a letter of support. After the deadline, I messaged him a couple times asking if all the forms and letter of support were attached correctly to my profile, but I haven't heard back. Am I overthinking things, or is it possible he knows I was rejected and doesn't want to continue to initiate conversation? I saw another post on here about how their son got an email about his decision and looking forward to making him a part of the class so I'm just curious if anyone had any insight on what this might mean for me?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My son never saw what the coach had done or included to indicate his support with admissions, so I doubt you will see that kind of information in your portal of info.  If you applied early decision or early action, I assume you'll be hearing soon whether you got in under those circumstances.  If coach isn't available to confirm his support, I don't know what else to tell you.  Good luck!

My son also had a couple of very good phone calls with Coach Whitehead, along with a few email exchanges. I know the coach submitted a letter of support to admissions office by end of Oct. We were guardedly optimistic, but unfortunately my son did not get accepted.

I'm not sure how many kids the coach wrote letters for, but I thought he mentioned he was looking for 7 players. I haven't seen anyone 2022s say they've committed there yet - I was expecting to see a couple by now, since early action decision was on 12/18.

I applied to MIT EA without a letter of support and was deffered. I  didn't have a 780+ math on the SAT so I wasn't able to get a letter of support there so if I happen to get in this spring I would walk on there. I'm also looking at Harvey Mudd as well and I plan on applying there RD and am in contacts with the coach there. How about your son?

He was deferred at Case Western (along with seemingly every other EA applicant), and has applied at Rochester, but would be walking-on either school. He's applying RD to MIT, but that is a reach school, even with a 790 SAT-Math, perfect grades and a dozen APs. Harvey Mudd is on his list, but I'm not sure his FB velo is high enough (T83, 80-82). He met the coach at WPI at a showcase this summer, and also considering Univ of Chicago and possibly Carleton.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.