Skip to main content

As shown in past posts, DTiger (age 16)has a wealth of knowledge through a players eye. In this thread, I hope DTiger will share his thoughts from a players prospective.

From his writings, I believe we are dealing with a special kid here. I thought devoting an entire thread to his dialogue would only be proper.

So preach on brother, as we sit back and learn, watch, and listen with amazement.....at least I will.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

This is an interesting one because the situations are so different from high school to summer ball. I can really only speak on how I approached the past season in high school and summer because I really am not sure what to expect of the team this coming year.

In regards to high school:

Since it is the beginning of the general baseball season (high school and summer) I like to pick 2-3 things that I want to improve. That can be a pitch, hitting in certain situations, or fielding techniques, etc. Here are some things I wanted to improve this past season: hitting (especially with runners on third), lateral movement in the field (mostly to my right), from that lateral movement-being able to plant and release faster with adequate velocity, and improve general speed. Along with my hopefuly improvement, I like to set goals as related to my team. My general thought on this subject is hope for the best, be ready for the worst, and expect something in the middle. Going into my first season on varsity I didn't expect to make playoffs because I knew we were in a tough district. But don't get me wrong, I expected to win every game. Baseball can be a rollercoaster, I try not to get too high or get too low. Losing was tough, it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth, and it was unfortunately something I became all too familiar with. The thing I did expect though at the beginning was for the team to fight their hardest, and we did. We came back and only missed playoffs by 1 spot (and I THINK 1 game). That struggle to come back was one of those "smaller" battles. We knew we were mathematically out of it, but we fought and it shows character. Overall my HS season was a positive one. I know I preached learning how to win, but one must learn how to lose. I firmly believe there is a right and wrong way to lose a game. Learning to lose means learning to hate it, yet at the same time learning to take the mistakes made in the game and improve upon them. Some kids will be on a loser team and blame eachother, blame umpires. Here's a famous quote for ya: "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in the stars, but rather within ourselves." I heard of that in a class, but I apply it to every loss. It's normal to be frustrated with a bad call, or disapointed that Johny couldn't make the play, but they were trying to do the right thing. I know this is cliche, but the only true loss in a developing players carreer (which is always) is a loss not learned from.

Summer ball:

Expectations for the Tigers are always high. I extend my pre-season goals. Sometimes the biggest struggle with summer ball (for me) is not winning, is not playing well, but is remembering I'm a kid. The expectations can get so high that the pressure overwhelms at times. The things any kid ballplayer is expected to do day in day out are the same things the pros struggle with. Nowhere else in society do people get mad if a kid can't throw it into a tiny zone. Summer ball is the more competitive season-for me-but it is necessary to remember that it's for fun.
Last edited by Dtiger
Folks, can you believe this?

I am simply amazed. I know I keep saying this but...........geez. Are we serious here?

DTiger, I am looking forward to this for many posts to come.

For tonight, I sign off with this for you as Ed Napoleon "Nappy" (Old Rangers first base coach told me all the time) says.......................

"You can't stay up with the owls and fly with the eagles."

Good night young man. I look forward to your next chronicle.
Last edited by Ken Guthrie
I have been told by Dtiger that he wants to go to an Ivy League school like Harvard. I can see by his ability to express his thoughts so well on this site that he definitely can handle a school like that. I wish him the best of luck on his quest to further not only his athletic pursuits, but also his academics. We are blessed to have him giving us his insights from a player's perspective. Thank you Kyle!
Me personally, no.

I have personally witnessed a coach telling a kid to hit another 1 time that I can remember.

The situation: A kid we were facing had previously hit 2 of our kids when a left handed pitcher of ours steps to the plate (he was pitching that game). The kid nailed him right in the left arm (he bats from the right side). That made our coach mad but the kid laughed about it the whole entire time our kid walked to first base (laughed at our player). Coach took offense and explained that he didn't feel the kid hit our player on purpose, but laughing directly at a kid after hitting them is unacceptable. He asked the kid who was pitching if he'd be OK with it and that he understood no one was forcing him to. I think there was no force in the request because the kid who got hit was pitching. There tends to be a little more... firmness in the request when it's sticking up for another teammate. The next inning the first batter got one right in the ribs.

In general I don't like it. Too many times kids let their egos get in the way and will hit someone on purpose without a coaches instruction. In this instance coach gave the explaination and specificly warned against trying to cause harm. He instructed nothing above the letters. I, and the team, I would say were OK with this instance. If a kid was ever told by a coach to hit someone without a substantial reason, I would have no choice but to step in. Simple lesson, don't laugh at a kid you hit, especially when he's pitching.

Baseball in general should be able to live without this aspect of the game, but unfortunately it's apart of the game and it sometimes proves itself necessary.

I'd also like to point out that was 1 time in a long season.
But I imagine you taught them when it might be considered "appropriate". The kids can take care of things themselves with a little guidance along the way -- that way they don't have to be told to do it in an emotional moment. I had to laugh a few weeks ago.....we had a guest player with us that really knows how the game is played.........he hit a kid on his own because the kid came to the plate wearing sun glasses and mouthing a toothpick! Smile
Ok DTiger, hopefully you don't expect much from me during the day. This fat boy has to work sometime.

Next item up for bids..................

How important is it to you as a player what the physical appearance is of you and your team?

1. Uniform
2. Organization of team members and coaches
3. Pre-game attire
4. Post game appearance

You know, what you look like before, during, and after a game.
Last edited by Ken Guthrie
1 last thing about hitting kids intentionally. There are times when I have "brushed" a kid back for trying to time my pitches and standing to close in warm ups, a coach trying to give the kids the signs, etc. I like to avoid actual hitting of anyone because it puts a kid on base... isn't the object of pitching to keep everyone off the bases? HAHA.

Now onto the uniform question.

I feel that every kid and/or team in an organization should wear the same uniform. Individual expression is great, but attention should be brought on by the play on the field, not a different outfit. I'm not against the arm band or something, but excessive jewelry and warm up gear can be a little much. Often during the pre-game my team "scopes" out the other team. One thing we do look for is who "looks like a player." This is very arbitrary (spelling?) but looks often tell a lot about a team and/or player. If a kid wears abunch of jewelry, arm bands, has a warm up jacket on (when no one else does), wears his hat crooked, the team will designate him as a "hot head." A team that every player wears his shoes tucked into his pants or with the pants under the cleats will often be the end of abunch of jokes. One thing I love Tommy and my coach for is that they stress not wearing the pants in the shoes. They always remind us that we never know who is watching and once again, the only attention being brought onto yourself should be from play on the field, not your clothing.

Some kids like wearing shorts to the game, which is absolutely fine to me. When in a tournament, and waiting on a game before ours, I too will often wear shorts to stay cool. Somehow though kids will (every once in a while) feel that the pre-game should be done in shorts. This one worries me a little bit.

Post-game: There really isn't much I can say on this one. It's different for each player. Normally I never wear shorts after a game, but our catcher does. After one of our games, believe me, you want as many clothing items from the game before off him due to the foul stench that escapes from his clothes. Once again, I'm all for individual expression, but in general, anything that causes attention to be brought onto yourself anywhere outside of the game itself... for lack of a better phrase... can be done without.

One thing that KILLS me is the coach wearing pants. AHHHH it really isn't a dislike, but it simply looks goofy. All HS coaches do it and it shoots me out the window. I can't help but laugh. Whats really hilarious is when you get coaches in full uniform (wearing pants) and they look younger than some kids on the HS team. This trend is much less common in summer ball. I'm wondering if it is a UIL rule????

I could go into lots of other situations: wearing of the sunglasses on the top of the hat when it's 9pm, having batting gloves in the back pocket while up to bat (sometimes wearing batting gloves and still with a pair in the back pocket), but it's simple... let the play do the talking. Appearance is just that, an appearance. It doesn't make you better or help you throw 90mph. It DOES show a little personality, and if I'm banking on one or two things, it's my personality and knowledge (neither of which are physical Big Grin).
Dtiger,

I want to give you a tid bit on something. Not much because this is your story, but I need to say this......

You mention you and your teamates looking for "players".

So do scouts and coaches.

My theory as a player and coach was to never leave any doubt.

If you think wearing shorts before a game may send a small, tiny, itty-bitty doubt in a coach or scouts mind...........forget it. Put on the pants.

In corporate U.S.A. they say dress for the job you want, not the one you have.

How do college players stroll into the ballpark before a college game?

How does a pro players stroll into the ballpark coming to a game?

What is they're appearance after a game?

Think about these things the next time you decide to throw that wife beater on with a pair of boxers with your flip flops and game socks pimping into the dugout Big Grin (I know that ain't you, just saying Big Grin)

Always, I mean always, think that someone real important has their eye on you. Wink
GAH I never did enter the spelling B.

Coach to an individual:

Before analyzing anything I'd like to say I wouldn't be half the player I am today if I was not blessed with some of the best coaches in the metroplex. I'd also like to note if some random baseball junkie hadn't met my dad and mentioned a new place called DBAT... I wouldn't be half the player I am today. That statement alone is enough to answer your question, but I'm sure you didn't ask me that to get that simple of a response.

My... unique outlook on coaches is one that I really haven't shared with many people. IMO the greatest thing a coach can do is stimulate the mind of a player. What I mean by that is that a good coach will provoke any player to ask questions, try new ideas, challenge himself on and off the field, and come up with his own ideas. Take a hitting lesson for instance: I've never heard a hitting coach say you MUST do this. The general wording is, "why don't you try this?" My pitching coach asks me to try a new grip... nothing is forced. Lets say I open my front hip (hitting or pitch), the coach will point out that I am doing that. Immediately, in my mind, I ask myself why I might be doing that. The reason could be that I'm trying too hard or being lazy with the front side. I don't really think my concept of a coach is really all that different from what people think of as "teaching." The only difference is that I've found most of (if not all) of my coaches have taught me in a way that I can teach myself down the road. While I'm pitching, I constantly remind myself of mechanics because I know what certain things mean. I know if a fastball goes high and away to a left-handed batter it means I did not stay closed with my front side (this is my scenario... everything is unique to the player).

Coaches to a team:

Disclaimer- I've been fortunate enough to play on top tier teams, therefore my experiences with the coaching styles may be twisted in the eyes of some.

Similarly to coaching a player, a coach for a team should motivate the team. A coach motivates his team to play hard every game, he stresses work ethic, and reminds his team of serious fundamentals throughout the game pertinent to the situation. A fundamental could be never giving up, or finishing a team. Coaches are... for lack of a better word(s)... less "hands on" when it comes to the team. Here's kind of how I see it. All the work a player has done in the past, all the game experience, all the intagibles, etc get a player to his "max level." A good coach will find some way to increase each players "max level" by placing the kid in situations he can perform in order to help the team. So basically, a coach gets that last drop of water out of the water cooler. I also think one of the best things coaches of teams can do is let the kids get themselves out of tough situations. Coaches know the importance of each game and when there is an opportunity to fight through a tough situation, sometimes coaches intervene, sometimes they don't (usually this is for pitchers). I've found that a pitcher that has gone through difficult routes will be much more effective in the crunch (common sense I'd think).

Coaches are great. No-matter what philosophical difference a parent or player may have with them, they are there to HELP you and/or your kid. They have lives (they aren't like me and a complete baseball junkie) and take time out to develop a players game.

And now I'm off to pick up the sis.
Last edited by Dtiger

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.