Skip to main content

quote:
I had to laugh a few weeks ago.....we had a guest player with us that really knows how the game is played.........he hit a kid on his own because the kid came to the plate wearing sun glasses and mouthing a toothpick!

PD,

I heard about this over the phone and assumed that maybe Ted told him to do this and didn't think any more about it. When I asked him when he got home about it, he told me he wasn't told to do it. I was surprised, really, but am glad to hear he has the b***s to do it. I'm old school when it comes to sending messages when it's necessary.

Funny story.......I told ML about a time in HS, we played a game against Denison and there was this kid that was taking infield wearing sunglasses and had cutoff sleeves and no uniform top, even though the entire team had on their uniform for warmups. The first time the kid came up to the plate, I plunked him with a 95mph fastball. It was a tournament and he showed up the next day on crutches and didn't play the rest of the week. I hope he got the message.
Last edited by Old Pitcher
Round One:

The only times I've worn my hat backwards is if I'm racing someone or if I'm catching. I'm under the impression that catchers alone have the right to wear the hat backwards. I know this sounds weird but my mom always encouraged me to do it so she could "see my eyes." Of course, she's a mom, so I'll cut her some slack. The backward hat sitings have become fewer and farther between for me. My opinion is the same as with the general uniform: if your bringing attention to yourself with something that isn't a glove, arm, bat, baseball, or feet, you ain't doing the right thing. I think it's the "rebelious" thing to do when a kid is younger. You see it in all the kid baseball movies: Angels in the Outfield, Little Big League, etc.

Round Two:

Cussing... I mean really that's enough said. It's cussing, and cussing is an aspect of society that is frowned upon very highly. I say dang't, I say shoot, if I get really mad you might get the c**p, but in general I am pretty calm. I think IN GENERAL, the kids that cuss are the kids who press. What I mean is that they try SO hard (or they want everyone to think they are) that when they fail, they try to show they are p'o-ed at themselves. It's perfectly fine for a kid to be mad at himself, but baseball is a game of failure, a game of what have you done for me lately, and beating yourself up over hitting a high pop up to the SS with the bases loaded aint going to help you the next time up at the plate. Once again, for me and my experiences, the vulgar language has steadily subsided with the addition of age. When a kid is young he finds cussing as a way to rebel or be "tough." Once he matures, he begins to notice the lack of attractiveness that the foul words bring along with them.
Tommy is such a stickler about appearance that NO ONE wears their hat backwards to a game. Now I know Akins wears his hat slanted, and semi-backwards, but I think that is more culture (this is not when he is in baseball clothes). The cussing.... well I mean the Tigers 16U (I'm very proud to say) are very clean... I'm being dead serious. The most cussing that goes on is when we watch baseball tonight and Web Gems... so you can imagine the uses. As a whole, the team is clean in about every way possible. The one other way I hear it used it to stress something. Lets use a casual example of eating food. When someone gets a bad meal that might originally say, this tastes horrible. Inevitably a kid will say it can't be that bad, and then the response is "this tastes like s***." My attitude towards this is you have to pick your battles. If it is not overused (which I stress it isn't throughout the team... we really are perfect-always right Big Grin- teenagers. HAHA) then as a peer, I'm not going to make a big deal about it. One thing I will say, it is a NONO around females. Not that females aren't mature enough to hear it or something, but it's very un-classy (is that even a word?) and it's something no one does.
quote:
Originally posted by Dtiger:
Tommy is such a stickler about appearance that NO ONE wears their hat backwards to a game. Now I know Akins wears his hat slanted, and semi-backwards, but I think that is more culture (this is not when he is in baseball clothes). The cussing.... well I mean the Tigers 16U (I'm very proud to say) are very clean... I'm being dead serious. The most cussing that goes on is when we watch baseball tonight and Web Gems... so you can imagine the uses. As a whole, the team is clean in about every way possible. The one other way I hear it used it to stress something. Lets use a casual example of eating food. When someone gets a bad meal that might originally say, this tastes horrible. Inevitably a kid will say it can't be that bad, and then the response is "this tastes like s***." My attitude towards this is you have to pick your battles. If it is not overused (which I stress it isn't throughout the team... we really are perfect-always right Big Grin- teenagers. HAHA) then as a peer, I'm not going to make a big deal about it. One thing I will say, it is a NONO around females. Not that females aren't mature enough to hear it or something, but it's very un-classy (is that even a word?) and it's something no one does.

I'm glad to hear that you guys are a class act. I thought so, especially you. I wish I could say the same about some young men that I have heard over the last several months. That's all I'm going to say about that. I just hate that it's accepted like it is in some circles as far as the baseball community in most places.
Cussing and improper attire stems for a gradual relaxation of discipline.

Over the years, little by little, these issues along with many others get worse due to lack of enforcement.

Plain and simple.

Dtiger, as a change of pace, why don't you ask some "usual posters" questions that you have for parents or coaches. This may stem more questions back towards you.
quote:
Cussing and improper attire stems for a gradual relaxation of discipline.

Over the years, little by little, these issues along with many others get worse due to lack of enforcement.

Plain and simple.

Ken,

You're EXACTLY right! It's a shame if you ask me. A little here, a little there turns into a big pile of it. I wish coaches, and parents these days would just put their foot down and say enough is enough. But most of them probably do it, so they really can't. Oh well.......but, I don't want it to be "oh well"! That's where the whole thing starts really, if you think about it.

I'll get off my soapbox now.
Last edited by Old Pitcher
Well a questioned I've turned over in my mind after the Florida trip is how I would feel if I played with a club like EC Astros. I'm wondering what ya'lls take would be. Would parents put aside their needs for their kid to be playing as much as these parents do? Do you sacrifice that for gauranteed winning? I personally find the challenge of winning to be the fun part. I'm sure I could travel the USA taking biggest, fastest, and most talented players and put them on a team to beat anyone... but there'd be no challenge... and I'd be called a pro scout. Big Grin
quote:
Well a questioned I've turned over in my mind after the Florida trip is how I would feel if I played with a club like EC Astros. I'm wondering what ya'lls take would be. Would parents put aside their needs for their kid to be playing as much as these parents do? Do you sacrifice that for gauranteed winning? I personally find the challenge of winning to be the fun part. I'm sure I could travel the USA taking biggest, fastest, and most talented players and put them on a team to beat anyone... but there'd be no challenge... and I'd be called a pro scout. Big Grin

Great question, I will answer it when i get home from work.
I'll jump in here on the EC Astros question since I have a pretty good point of reference to draw from.

For former Coach Gut's benefit Big Grin , let me state my qualifications that allow me to provide a little insight in responding to the question:

- I played for Guerry Baldwin back in the day. Guerry runs East Cobb Baseball and is the Head Coach for the East Cobb Astros 16U club.

- I coached for Guerry in the East Cobb program prior to moving to Keller 5 years ago and both my sons played East Cobb baseball. We moved to Texas before either of the boys turned 16 so neither of them got to the point where they could tryout for the Astros.

- The East Cobb program is nationally recognized and was named the Amatuer Program of the Decade for the 90s by Baseball America winning a bunch of national titles along the way. Guerry's Astros squad year end and year out has been recognized as one of the top flite 16U squads in the country.

Having said all that, I know a little about the program and how Guerry runs things. As you'd imagine it's incredibly competitive and considered a big time honor for a player to make the Astros club. Think of it this way, if you took the best of the best from the Mustangs, DBAT, Tigers, Marshalls, Blackhawks, Panthers, etc. and formed one team that's what you have with East Cobb Astros. Quite simply, you have to be a 16 year-old stud to play for him. Also, I don't recall the specific numbers but in tracking the players who played for Guerry and the Astros through the end of the program (when they turn 18), 98-99% eventually went D1 or got drafted. Again, I've been a few years removed from it but I'd imagine the numbers are still tracking the same.

Guerry is strictly in it for the players and his program, not the parents. He makes that very clear. Quite honestly, during my time in the program, I found very few parents who really liked Guerry. Want to know how much he cared what the parents thought? Not one bit. Having a parent upset with him doesn't faze him a single iota because if a family decides to pack it in and leave during the summer he simply reaches back and brings another 16 year old stud into the fold. I've seen it happen a few times.

Don't get me wrong, the parents very much respect his coaching ability (he's one of the best and the guys who are his assistant coaches are also top notch) and the program's track record speaks for itself but Guerry's not in it to be their friend. Also, he makes it very clear at the start of the summer what his expectations are for the team, playing time to be expected for each player, etc. I've sat in on one of his player/parent kickoff meetings and there is no fuzz on his message. He runs his squad like a college program. Generally speaking pitchers are pitchers only regardless if they are a stud position player with their school team.

It doesn't surprise me at all that parents are grumbling but, honestly, they went into the deal eyes wide open.

So, to answer your question DTiger, if we were still living in Georgia and either one of my boys would have had the chance to play for Guerry Baldwin and the Astros then yes we would have opted for doing that fully knowing what we were getting into. His program's track record speaks for itself and it would be an indicator, not a guarantee, that my kids may have a future playing the game beyond HS. Plus, the coaching my guys would have gotten would have been the best in the area and one of the tops in the country.

Sorry to be so long winded but I thought a former East Cobb perspective may be somewhat interesting. Back to the salt mines ...
This is an interesting perspective, and one that I really do see your reasoning behind. I'm not going to lie, if I was able to play for the EC Astros, who in my mind are the premier baseball club in the USA, I would probably do it in a heart beat. The only problem is, sometimes we as teenagers rush into things without doing what truly is best for ourselves (this is totally not saying we are not always right Big Grin). The record, the quality, the talent all speaks for itself with EC, but if I was a pitcher only in order to make this team but still a position player (outside in another team), I think when I took a step back that I'd realize I'm doing my overall development a disservice. One thing that I noticed about EC (all teams not just Astros) is that they constantly had their pitchers doing drills. As a pitcher, I loved this and saw that even when they weren't pitching (or going to pitch that day), they were doing drills. I agree with your assessment of how the EC Astros would be like the best from DBAT; Tigers; etc, but I also feel like an eleven man roster down in Florida had a pretty good chance at giving them a game.

One thing that I'm..... not going to disagree but rather further explain is how you said the team was run like a college program. In every way I'd say yes to that EXCEPT when I hear they flew in 3 kids for the end of the tournament. Colleges don't just fly kids in from around the country. Now before I sound like I'm mad, I'm not. These kids were legitimately on their roster at the deadline, but they were also kids that you knew weren't from EC. That's another question now I can ask you frogdawg--- how many (if any) of the kids go down there for their summer just to play ball with the EC Astros or an EC affiliated team?
DTiger,
Points well taken on bringing other kids in. That was done on occasion back when we were involved in the program but it was not a surprise to the parents or the players. Maybe it's more prevalent now; I don't know. Again though, the parents and players all knew that was a possibility and a part of the deal at the start of their journey with the Astros.

Also, I definitely see your point about weighing whether to be a pitcher-only on a club like the Astros or being able to also play a position for another club. That is a decision the player and parents have to collectively make. Again, the thing with the Astros, it's made very clear up front what the expectations are. If the player and parents decide to move in a direction they think's better for them then great. No hard feelings.

The problem I have as a former select coach is that you can have your parent/player meetings and get the head nod from everyone that they're on board and they understand the expectations, that we're fielding our best team, playing time is not guaranteed, etc. Then when reality hits you get to deal with a whole lot of complaining. That stuff ended up bothering me more than it should have. Like I said before, Guerry could care less if parents are complaining. If it gets bad enough, they're told to take a hike and he and the team moves on.

To further answer your last question, back when we were in the program, I recall one kid from Alabama and I think one from Tennessee who lived in Marietta for the summer that played East Cobb ball. Neither played for the Astros. I guess in today's environment, that's just a reality parents and players have to deal with from time to time. Not that it makes it right, or that you have to like it, that's just the way it is. I know of a couple of nationally recognized programs that pull players from all over the country and travel all summer under the guise that there kids are 'local'. That's the nature of the beast these days.

BTW, I'd LOVE to see a 'best of the best' from the DFW area face off against the Astros. I think Guerry would be in for a real dogfight.
I definately agree with your assessment that if you sign on the dotted line, you know what your going to get. Believe me, I know all about complaining... or worrying about trying to keep parents happy with my dad being the team "manager." I'd call it more overseer. That's a really good idea though. I'd love nothing more than to take the best of the best from the metroplex and face them off against the Astros. I know IF we did that we wouldn't have to worry about parental problems because like Guerry does, we could simply move on. With the talent in the DFW being so dispersed, keeping everyone happy becomes much more of a goal. I think we both agree on many things on this subject. If you sign up, you know what your getting into. If you don't want to be getting into it, no one forces you. I'm also curious though if there ever was a stud pitcher that elected not to be with the EC Astros when he had the opportunity? Also, do the EC Astros continually pick up new players throughout the year? I would doubt it considering they are so stacked, but you can never get enough pitching. I ask the question though because often the "big dog" organizations can have a feel that they bully around the smaller clubs by getting whatever player they want. I'd hope this is not the case. I'm not saying picking up players throughout the year is bad, I think a lot of it falls on how the process was conducted.
I can't adequately answer your question reagarding a big stud pitcher turning down an opportunity to play for the Astros because I don't know for sure. I don't recall of that ever happening and doubt that it would unless the player decided to play outside of the East Cobb program.

I can tell you that on the last team I coached at EC I was able to pick up a stud pitcher (ended up being my ace) because he was going to also play 3rd base for me. The #1 team wanted him to be a pitcher only. I had the #2 team and provided the better fit for what the player and parents wanted.

That kid ended up being a pitcher only for the Astros and is now doing extremely well at a D1 school in North Carolina.

Bottom line ... Guerry gets his pick of the East Cobb kids and it's understood you don't turn down an opportunity to be personally coached by him and his staff. Again, if you want to be part of EC baseball.
Coach C,
He's doing great - thanks for asking. Having a really good summer. He and his Mustang teammates are in Mobile this week at a Premier tourney. I'm left to sit at work and wait for his post game calls to get all the updates. As you can imagine, it's killing me to miss these games but you've got work sometime, right?

As you know, the really pressure filled tourney starts next week with the Connie Mack regional. Should be some great baseball.

After that, it's just a few short weeks before he and Monk head off to the land of purple and white. I'm sure Ms. Frogdawg and I will have more free baseball time so when you guys get your fall schedule drop me a PM. We'd love to come see the young Northwest HS stud play.
First of all, I have never raised a son so I am speaking for my future possibilities.

In the situation you pose Dtiger, I would 100% agree with frogdawg.

The whole key to the situation is being realistic as a player and family. If a family realizes the ability level of the player, they should understand the opportunity. If the ability level does not compare to the "best of the best" than another option should be looked into.

Being up front, like the said coach, is very important. I like the words frogdawg spoke of when he mentioned the EC coach could care less what the parents thought. In my tenure, I would say I thought the same except for a few.

If you are a top level player and can compete with the best, I believe you should take the opportunity. The whole theory of "playing time makes you better" is not necessarily true in my opinion. Playing with good players makes you better.

You take the same player and put him with a scrub team and a exceptional team, generally the exceptional team will allow for more improvement and opportunities. Maybe playing time will be less, but I would take quality over quanity any day.

Like other things, standing firm on the rules you put forth as a coach has become more relaxed in this day in age. The EC Astros must have built this tradition with long lasting examples of standing firm on their rules and expectations. As a coach, it was a battle each day to impose the rules set forth. But sometimes the punishments you set forth on rule breakers can disrupt a team more so than turning away at times. (and I'm not talking about this in a performance sense) That is why I sit here as a "retired summer ball coach" Big Grin.
I found that if I couldn't enforce what I believed was right without having a battle each day, it wasn't worth it for me to spend my time that way. Plus, having a newborn son, my priorities have changed.

But, if 16-18 good players got together and needed a coach that could do it "my way", I would do it again in a heartbeat. Because I love the game and I like to teach kids that want to learn. But from most of the responses to my posts, I believe that to be highly unlikely. Razz

I usually just chalk it up to....."times have changed".
I definately don't disagree with frogdawg, I just want to make that clear. If you pass up the EC Astros you better be doing so for a GOOD reason. I think though it's a different kind of baseball. I am encouraged to hear somewhere in the country parents don't bicker... or wait the coaches don't listen... or wait the parents want to bicker but don't. ANYWAY... the club is amazing. I hope to get the opportunity to one day pitch against one of their teams, I'm still liking this war cry: 23 against 11!!! Also I'd like to note that most of the complaining parents I've heard about (whether it be serious or not) usually do not bicker from what their son tells them. I think kids (if this is possible) are willing to put aside their egos if it means being apart of greatness. I think if more parents talked about the issues they worry about with their kid, there would be a lot less complaining. Also I'd like to say that as frustrating as it can be, parents want the best for their kid, and no one can fault that.
Last edited by Dtiger
quote:
I'm slightly confused by that statement... I think I know what your trying to say, but so much can get lost without true verbal communication, so could you maybe rephrase.

Example,

A parent ain't happy about he situation with their son.

I get a call.

Now you understand? Remember the cussing topic?
“The whole key to the situation is being realistic as a player and family. If a family realizes the ability level of the player, they should understand the opportunity. If the ability level does not compare to the "best of the best" than another option should be looked into”

Unfortunately that “realistic” thing goes out the window right when the parent(s) are looking at that mass wrapped up in a blue or pink blanket. I have not heard too many parents say; dang my kid is the ugliest one of the bunch. A few years later put a glove in their hand and those rose colored glasses become more tinted.

Dtiger, do you have any thoughts on coaches promising / presenting something in order to recruit a kid that ended up being somewhat….misleading?
I can definately agree with your thought process T-Ball. Seinfeld does a great representation of the exact scenario your talking about, but that aint baseball.

I really can't tell you how something like that would happen because I haven't experienced it first hand. I feel that no coach should promise anything he can't back up. A lot of times though I've heard of a coach telling a parent, "he'll play some third base for us." This usually gets misunderstood and the parent thinks the kid is going to be the every day 3B. Is this the coach's fault? Or is this the parents? Or is it both? (I'm asking all of you) If you know the situation that occurred at the beginning of this season with my own team, then you know that even though the coach didn't promise anything to anyone, it was a touchy subject with some of the new kids. Thats as far as I'll go on that subject, you can PM if you want more details and my opinion on the situation. As a general thought though, coaches should try to make it as clear as possible what they invision a kids role being. I can imagine though if you have a stud pitcher who is a mediocre infielder, it's probably tough not to throw in that line about playing SOME infield.
Last edited by Dtiger
"Is this the coach's fault? Or is this the parents? Or is it both?" Yes, Yes. We all have a tendency to hear what we want to hear in all aspects of life. Knowing parents hear what they want to hear, if a coach suggests a conversation about playing time, that coach should make it a point to define what “some third” means, AND not get offended when the parent is looking for a little clarity on the definition of “some”.

A coach might have said something like "your kid won’t see the field unless we’re up by a dozen and I’m gone", and the parent heard he’ll get some time at third. Smile

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.