Skip to main content

Actually one thing I really appreciate about Jesuit is how the school goes to very far lengths to get kids a great education. Through work grant, scholarships by alumni, and one of the lowest private school tuitions in the metroplex, kids from all income classes attend Jesuit. Even though most of the people think it's expensive---it is--- Greenhill, St. Marks, and Episcopal School of Dallas all make Jesuit look like it's the thrifty store.

PD- Point taken. I failed to mention that these were certain situations that was understandable. No one was angered by it... not even I was. The kid deserved to get some playing time considering he was by far the hardest worker and a senior, but the question was do coaches ALWAYS put the best team on the field.
Last edited by Dtiger
PD,
Sorry to be late in answering your question about the EC Astros cost. One can only multi-task so long between work and posting to the HSBBWEB Winkbefore you have to pick one.

I don't know what it cost to be an EC Astro these days. Back when we were there (5+ years ago), the cost to be in the EC program was $1000/player, regardless of whether your son was a pitcher only or role player. That did not include any travel costs. I know, $1000 seems like a deal now. That cost would be offset by how much each player could garner through fund raising.

Each team did there own fundraising plus the EC program published a media guide every year and players were encouraged to sell ad space for the guide. A portion of the ad sales went to credit the player's account and the balance went to the program.

Also, the Astros conducted tryouts which parents had to pay for. I think the cost was ~ $100. A portion of that fee went to cover expenses for the Astros club as well. Finally, East Cobb has long secured sponsorships from Rawlings and Reebok. These sponsorships result in scholarships awarded to selected players at the year-end banquet which is a huge deal in the Metro Atlanta area.

Hope this answered the question. Again, my cost information is dated but I'm sure the fund raising, media guide ad sales and paying for the opportunity to tryout still occurs.
I had a lengthy conversation with an EC Astro's parent last week in jupiter. According to him they have pre-season open tryouts. They charge $100 for a tryout. They tend to attract anywhere from 100-200 kids per age group. (add that up) When the Astro's teams are in town they run the tournaments, work the fields, consessions, clean up. basically the kids that make the Astro's teams are for the most part fully sponsered.(they do have to put the work in) some of the other EC teams will get some oppertunitys to raise money this way too. and yes they sell ad space and other fundraising events.
I'm not really up for an essay, I've had a long day and weekend. In short I agree with the general concept he tries to promote (supposedly). But I highly disagree with how he goes about doing it. When I was young and innocent I thought baseball was just like Little League, just bigger and slightly more talented. Now that I'm more aware, I see that adults (adults that should be setting examples for the kids) are throwing at eachother because they want to, to protect eachother, or a manager orders it (most likely a combination of all three). I'm all for being behind your teammates, even protecting them, but when throwing at other players becomes routine (which I feel it is), it becomes 1) less meaningful and 2) childish.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.