Skip to main content

Congratulations to Paul VI's Greg Wiegand who signed w/ the University of Dayton in Ohio. Dayton is a D1 school that plays in the Atlantic 10 Conference. Greg Wiegand is currently 3-0 on the year w/ 4 saves w/ a 1.97 era along w/ 31k's in 28 innings of work.

Along w/ Wiegand (Dayton) and Shaw above (Temple), Paul VI also had three players sign early, Peter Verdin (Georgia), Brett Bowers (East Carolina) and Matt Murakami (Maryland). Congratulations to all five players from Paul VI and this now leaves Pvi w/ just 3 more seniors to make their decisions. I hope to have some more good news in the very near future.
I'd like to send out another congratulations to two more seniors from Paul VI HS in Fairfax VA who just signed, both of them, to play for the Red Storm of St. John's University in New York. This brings the total number of Division 1 signees for the 2008 Virginia State Champions (VISAA Division 1)to seven w/ two more official announcements to come......

Tim McCormick - St. John's University (BIG EAST)
Mike Mitchell - St. John's University (BIG EAST)
Drew Shaw - Temple University (A-10)
Greg Wiegand - University of Dayton (A-10)
Brett Bowers - East Carolina University (C-USA)
Matt Murakami - University of Maryland (ACC)
Peter Verdin - University of Georgia (SEC)
I know VMI was looking at Karter all season,as I heard many times and he did make an official visit to the school.VMI came to a game and watched as well.He chose against the other schools.I will look into your other concerns. Karter had a 8 and 2 record with a 1.09 ERA. He is a very smart pitcher.He equally had a 3.8 avg. Advanced Diploma.
ECU did have talks with him and they may have been the most active suitor at the time that was written. But Maryland's main recruiter saw Cleary in the district playoffs and actively asked around for info on him. I guess when he got back to his office he saw a place for him, got into the hunt and beat ECU out.

It's nice to have options, especially this late in the recruiting cycle!
finally, Paul VI can announce that all nine seniors from the '08 class will be playing baseball at the next level. Congratulations to the two most recent additions and see the whole list below:

Mike McMenamin - Virginia Tech University (ACC)
Reed Bromley - Tennessee-Wesleyan (NAIA)
Tim McCormick - St. John's University (BIG EAST)
Mike Mitchell - St. John's University (BIG EAST)
Drew Shaw - Temple University (A-10)
Greg Wiegand - University of Dayton (A-10)
Brett Bowers - East Carolina University (C-USA)
Matt Murakami - University of Maryland (ACC)
Peter Verdin - University of Georgia (SEC)
And the 10th is:

Ian Harvey, James River OF, to Longwood!

Ian is also the fifth James River 2008 player to receive an offer to play at the Division I level next spring. All five of the team's graduating starters received offers before it was done. We hope the team can continue to move kids up at that pace in the years to come!
If my calculations are correct, then that means at least 10 D1 players in last night's legion championship game.

Post 137- R. Shaban, B. Shaban (2009), Bower, Sollars

Post 201- Stadler, Nice, Mikionis, Oldham (since changed his mind), Cleary, and now Harvey

I would guess I missed a couple, and there will likely be more underclassmen to get offers, but I thought that was pretty impressive.
201 also had Ethan Lewis pitch Tuesday night; he's on his way to Bluefield. (Not sure what level that is.)

137's 3B, Ryan Parker (Cosby) -- I have heard a rumor (unconfirmed) that he has committed to Seton Hall. Can anyone confirm? I was very surprised nobody had grabbed him up earlier. He is very strong defensively and had a great year with the bat as well.

Also, you missed Chris Hardee, Manchester P/1B/C, who is on his way to ODU.

No telling how many of the underclassmen on those teams will end up going D-1 by this time next year.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.