Skip to main content

#1 I just dont have any talent here.
#2 I cant get any support from the administration.
#3 I cant get any support from my parents.
#4 My players dont work in the off season.
#5 My players have no work ethic.
#6 We can not get a bunt down.
#7 We are so stupid on the bases.
#8 We just dont have any arms in this program.
#9 We play with no intensity and we just go through th motions.
#10 These guys have no clue what their role is.

#1 You dont recruit in HS. It is your job to take what you have and help it become the best it can be. It is too easy to use this excuse and sit back and wait for some studs to get to your school. HS baseball teams are sucessfull because players are in an environment that teaches and motivates and encourages young men be the best they can be. The talent on display on game day should be the result of a players hard work and a coaching staffs hard work over time.
#2 Have you tried? What have you done? You ask for more baseballs but you allow your players to leave them on the field or over the fence after bp. You ask for new uniforms but have you tried to raise money as well? You ask for field improvements but how do you take care of what you have? What have you done to build a relationship with your administration. Its just too easy to use this as an excuse.
#3 Have you met with the parents? Have you asked for there help? Do you walk around like you are God and never have the time to just say hello and then you wonder why they dont work the concession stand? Have you had a parents meeting and told them what you need them to do? Have you even asked for their help? Most parents want to get envolved and help anyway they can.
#4 What do you do in the off season? Whos fault is it that they do not work in the off season? Do you work in the off season for them? If they do not work in the off season whos fault is that? Maybe if you started a strength and conditioning program in the off season and made yourself or your staff available to the guys they would take advantage of it. Maybe if you took the time they would take the time.
#5 Maybe they are following your lead? Maybe if you showed them what a great work ethic was they would follow that lead. Players will take on the identity of the coaches. If you work hard they will work hard. If they have no work ethic what does that say about you?
#6 Do you work on it at practice? How many times have you asked them to do something in a game that you do not require them to do in practice? If they do not know how to bunt who's fault is that?
#7 Why? Who is responsible for teaching them how to run the bases? How often do you teach it and work on it?
#8 Why? Do you ride one or two arms every year? Are you so worried about winning a game that you do not give other kids an opportunity to develop their arms? Do you even have a long toss program? A core program? An off season program? How often do you work with all your pitchers?
#9 Why? Do you have intensity in practice? Do you motivate and encourage your players? Do you just go through the motions and then try to step it up on game day? Who is responsible for the way your players prepare for a game?
#10 Have you told them what their role is? Have you told them how they can expand that role? Have you told them what they need to work on in order to expand that role? Whos fault is that?

I have had many coaches over the years come up to me during a game and tell me "We just have no clue coach"! "We cant get a bunt down to save our lives"! "We just dont have any arms this year"! And then I see the same kid on the hill just about every time out. The fact is a team is the refection of the coach. If kids dont run everything out I dont look at the player first I look at the coach to see what his reaction is. There are coaches out there that far too often want to blame others for their players short comings. The fact is if your doing your job the players will do their job. Build a program not a team. It takes no talent to be fundementally sound. It takes no talent to learn how to run the bags. It takes no talent to hustle. It takes no talent to play hard. It takes no talent to respect the game and all those that play it. It takes no talent to work in the off season. It takes no talent to work hard for your players and show them what it takes to be sucessfull. JMHO
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Like to say something regarding #4 and #8.

I am very surprised to see in the college game, coaches out of shape. If you expect your players to be in great physical shape, set an example.

Also 15-16 pitchers on the roster but only a handful put to use, where is pitcher development?
quote:
tpm quote:
I am very surprised to see in the college game, coaches out of shape. If you expect your players to be in great physical shape, set an example.

Being of the same age as those you are speaking of, it is not as easy as it sounds. Most of these men were athletes in their day and worked out to stay that way. Athletes are a lot like cars, rode hard early, and almost impossible to keep in running at 100% when they get old. Yes there are some that don't try, but I for one attempt to keep my "girlish" figure and it doesn't work like it used to. Women also have their issues that are age related that they try to control but to no avail.

tpm I agree there are out of shape coaches, but also out of shape people across the board and I don't think its fair to make a blanket statement that coaches should set an example when many time you have no control and you are being compared to the 20 yr old athlete. Coaches being ex-athletes are pretty vain and their appearance has been a priority their hole life.
Last edited by rz1
I'm in terrible shape. After 8 knee surgeries, I can barely walk let alone run. Of course I threw a few hours of BP yesterday and most young in-shape coaches still can't match me pitch for pitch. JMHO!

This is from a Presentation I made for Coaches. I created several handouts with this being one.

Types of Ineffective Coaches:

Please note that this handout is not intended to offend anyone. Rather, this is one person’s observations.

1. The Ignorant Coach – I was once this. I had great intent. I wanted to do my best for the kids. I didn’t have a clue.

2. The "We're no good coach so why bother." So, why are you a coach? If coaching were a profession where everyone was already good, they wouldn’t need you.

3. The "Clock Coach." Again, why bother. Success isn’t measured on some clock face. You just might have to be late for supper once in a while if you intend to advance your player’s skills.

4. The "100% Enabler Coach" A coach I can’t stand. You’re the coach. No, they don’t vote. You decide who plays! You be the adult and discipline the kids. If there is a decision to be made, MAKE IT!

5. The "That's all that has worked in the past, that's all that will work Coach" Believe it or not, I understand this coach but don’t agree with it. You have a system that works? Fine, but still be a student of the game and learn the latest improvements on equipment, strategies, and drills.

6. The "Supervisor Coach" Another type of coach I can’t stand. These coaches warm chairs as everyone else works. They have nothing invested and so, losing doesn’t matter at all.

7. The “Rah Rah Coach” This is the well intended coach who doesn’t know technique and so can’t suggest improvement. They are still there for the kids and do try to make the experience fun. I give them some credit since they can make the experience enjoyable. However, they won’t make their players better!

8. The “Abusive Coach” These coaches aren’t coaches at all. Everything that happens in the playing arena is some statement about their self serving image and so, when a player doesn’t measure up, they abuse that player. Abusive coaches always comment on how soft kids are today while back in their days, they’d eat nails to win.
Last edited by CoachB25
rz,
Sorry, I sat across a college coach and asked about their pitchers workout program, he had no clue. He told me that he is not involved in that part of the program? In fact he knew more about the wonderful food they serve then conditioning. Looking at him, I understood why. Now don't get me wrong, my son was not the workout stud in HS, he looked for every excuse NOT to condition, but even he made comments regarding that aspect. Most programs (not all) have facilities and trainers that assist their coaches in conditioning programs.

This coach was closer to my son's age at that time than mine.

My son's HC coach is pretty fanatical about keeping in shape, that may be the extreme. But you will often find all of them working along side the players at the gym, not only for health benefits but to set example.

There are many ways to stay fit, and there are many ways to achieve that.

I am talking about keeping somewhat in shape, not running marathons and I am talking about college coaches that are paid pretty well to do their jobs.

Very interesting, I notice a correlation between coaches and players out of shape.
Just my obeservation and my opinion.
Last edited by TPM
I agree with your list. Many coaches use excuses instead of working to overcome them.
However, sometimes you ARE limited to a great extent by the personnel you have. I recently coached in a program with few athletes, an A.D. that was an arrogrant S.O.B. who didn't even TRY to help the coaches and parents who would just as soon stab you in the back as look at you! I am a very personable guy who loves to promote my program and I'll put my work ethic up against anyone...but those excuses you talked about are sometimes LEGIT. They key, I think, is to get to know the coach to find out what is really happening...it doesn't take too long to find out which guys are crying wolf and which ones truly are facing uphill battles they can't control.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.