Skip to main content

Just a quick update.  Son's surgery was yesterday afternoon.  Everything went good.  I talked with the dr and he said it was a bit more involved than he thought going in, but he was pleased with the results and feels like son will back to full form by Christmas.  Thanks again to all of you that have reached out by PM and those on the site for their prayers and best wishes.  Now the work to get back begins.

Great to hear, younggun.  I missed the first go-around regarding the injury but glad to hear it's not a more lengthy issue and things went well.  Will be hoping for quick and full recovery for him.  Not sure of the details but if like most other injuries, it will be so important to follow PT instruction faithfully.

Originally Posted by younggun:

Just a quick update.  Son's surgery was yesterday afternoon.  Everything went good.  I talked with the dr and he said it was a bit more involved than he thought going in, but he was pleased with the results and feels like son will back to full form by Christmas.  Thanks again to all of you that have reached out by PM and those on the site for their prayers and best wishes.  Now the work to get back begins.

That is what happened with son abit more involved. He should be ready for spring. Glad all is good.

Originally Posted by Doughnutman:

Son is playing for Sacramento State, having a heck of a time getting used to metal bats after spending the last 2 1/2 years with a wood bat in his hands. Hope he adjusts or he will be cheering from the bench.

Nice, good luck to him.  I should be partaking in a couple Hornet games this year.  Is your son a freshman or transfer? 

Our son played in his 1st college scrimmage game yesterday. He broke the ice as he started at 2nd base and threw 1 inning. It went like this, 1-2 with a backside line drive for a triple and another backside fly out to the warning track. He faced 4 batters with 2 infield errors, one being his on a throw to 1st from a swinging bunt, a K, a soft liner to RF and a throw out at 2nd. He was pretty happy with it all. Now we get to see him play on Friday during parent's weekend, cant wait.

This weekend is baseball parents' weekend @ Miss State. We were driving the 7-8 early tomorrow morning. As expected, now my wife wants to leave right after 5 today so we will drive tonight until we can't and then spend the night somewhere

Spoke with son briefly early this week about his weekend plans. He said that he was all ours this whole weekend. Shocked to say the least!

Calls me today. Says "Dad, think we could go to Academy (Sporting Good store) and buy a cheap set of golf clubs for me while y'all are here?"

Coincidence?  Maybe?

ps: His Christmas present came early. Bought a used set of 3 yr old Titleist irons,drivers, etc off of a family friend today. The friend went to Miss State so son got a Bull Dawg discount. They will fit his frame and have a large sweet spot. He's never played much golf (and neither have I). I wouldn't let him play while he still batted. I (and wife) are such push-overs!

Originally Posted by RedFishFool:

Calls me today. Says "Dad, think we could go to Academy (Sporting Good store) and buy a cheap set of golf clubs for me while y'all are here?"

First visit this weekend for us, too. He wants us to bring a bike. Apparently, turning a 15 minute walk to the gym into a 5 minute ride is extremely important to him at the moment. I think the extra 10 minutes of sleep is priceless right now.

He asked us not to show up for any baseball just yet. Hasn't figured out the protocol for parents. We'll take him and his roommate out for a big lunch and some football on Sunday. My wife can't wait to see him.

Originally Posted by havanajay:
Originally Posted by Doughnutman:

Son is playing for Sacramento State, having a heck of a time getting used to metal bats after spending the last 2 1/2 years with a wood bat in his hands. Hope he adjusts or he will be cheering from the bench.

Nice, good luck to him.  I should be partaking in a couple Hornet games this year.  Is your son a freshman or transfer? 

JUCO transfer. Rightfielder/first base. You can't miss his swing. He over swings just a hair.

Originally Posted by younggun:
Originally Posted by baseballmomx4

younggun, how did the nerve study go?

Thanks for asking.  It just confirmed the team docs diagnosis.  Son is to meet with the doc today or tomorrow and I think will have the surgery performed on Thursday.  Thank you very much to each of you that have reached out through PM.  It is good to hear from those that have walked through this before.  The doc assures me it is pretty straight forward, but surgery is still surgery and I guess I will never feel peace until the day my son hangs up his cleats.  I really never worry to much about his performance, I mean what can I do about that anyway?  I just pray for health and that he perform to his ability.  Not much more I can ask for.  Again, thanks and I appreciate the words of encouragement. 

Here's to  younggun jr. for a SPEEDY RECOVERY!

Originally Posted by RedFishFool:

Dad: Call me

Son; Can't

Dad: Why?

Son: No time, sorry

Dad: You at study hall?

Son: Yes

Dad: you drive?

Son: duh

Dad: then call me on your way home back to your dorm

Son: K

And no, I didn't get a call back....pretty typical the last 10 weeks. But I guess he's adjusting. I know that I am....slowly.

Allz I can say is "wow".  That is it verbatim... except for the driving part.  He walks everywhere and doesn't have a car.  

One of the many nice things about son being 20 minutes from home is we get to see him fairly regularly. Pops home once a week or so and has a home cooked meal. Comes home on an occasional weekend evening when GF is back home from college. Still doesn't talk to me much about anything unless I ask a pointed question (tells Mama everything, but she never asks about baseball, much to my dismay).

Complete waste of thumb impressions that I have to clean off my phone texting the boy

He did come home last evening. Called ahead to ask if he could bring 5 guys with him. We said, of course. One of my older sons came by as well. , Wife went out to grocery and we had a spread for them. Grilled out chicken and burgers, fresh fruits and veggies platters as appetizers, whole nine yards.

Was a great evening. Felt like the days when older sons where in HS plus my whole passel of kids (5) and dinner many nights was for double digits people.

I have to say, I learned more about what is going on in baseball in 2 hours just listening to the boys talk among themselves than I have in a year plus of my son talking to me

Originally Posted by Buckeye 2015:

Last 10 replies from my son to texts that I sent him:

Yes

Get Antonio Brown every week

Don't Care

Not That Good

Lol

I wasn't

Good

Nope

Nope

No

1.8 words per message....  Based on what I'm seeing here that's seems to be the average

Buckeye, I will bet that it is lower than 1.8. No replies are equal to zero so when uou add those in, the average goes down.
I'm sure you have some of those too.
RFF

Son came home today with 3 2015 teammates who live much further away from school.

they sank in the couches,

put on the Pirates/Cubs game

and all sighed "ahhh, home".

Just went fishing.

then big dinner.

Boys excited over recent summer league assignments.

Think they may be most happy to sleep in later than the college 'reveille' they have had for early conditioning &/or weights.

Of course, Wife really happy to see son

Originally Posted by bballman:

I heard that baseballmom!!!  Never seen my son turn down money, or letting us buy something for him.  Lol.

Just got back from parents weekend and asked son if he was good on spending money. His reply 'yeah, I'm fine' left me shocked. I said son, didn't you say you wanted to major in business and or accounting? If so, you just failed the first test.

Originally Posted by Hunter10:
Originally Posted by bballman:

I heard that baseballmom!!!  Never seen my son turn down money, or letting us buy something for him.  Lol.

Just got back from parents weekend and asked son if he was good on spending money. His reply 'yeah, I'm fine' left me shocked. I said son, didn't you say you wanted to major in business and or accounting? If so, you just failed the first test.

Yeah, I've heard that too.  But ask if he wants $20 and see what he says.  My son's response after saying he was good and I asked if he wanted $20?  "Of course!!"  Lol.

Son is still in the voluntary part of the fall season.   But clearly working hard in the weight room and on the field.  He just sent a picture of the baseball field, with a bunch of guys out there getting work in, with the caption "the most relaxing place."  Clearly, he's starting to feel at home at least at one place on campus. His goal is to be completely game ready by the time official practices start.   I'm itching for them to get it on myself. It'll be  another couple of weeks -- mid October. D3 are only allowed 16 official practices in the non-traditional season, spread out over five weeks.

The kid went 2-3 in their intra squad yesterday...with one of the hits against their #1 returning P.  First hits he's had after grounding out 8 or 9 times....though he does think he's the only kid with no K's so far this fall, so that's a plus.  Going to take in a scrimmage against a Canadian team on Friday (he's pitching) and a "family day" intra squad on Saturday.  Will be good to see some baseball again

I've been afraid to post here.  I don't want to fall victim to the hsbbweb curse again. I've learned my lesson!! We did go to see one of the fall games, and he has had a few more since.  All I will say is so far so good.  (said while knocking on wood) Watching the game though, a college team seems like they have so many players.  I think my son said they have 43 that has to be trimmed to 35 after fall.  Tough.  Alumni game is in a few weeks so we will be back.  Met some nice families, son seems happy so all is good.......so far (still knocking)

Originally Posted by baseballmomx4:

I've been afraid to post here.  I don't want to fall victim to the hsbbweb curse again. I've learned my lesson!! We did go to see one of the fall games, and he has had a few more since.  All I will say is so far so good.  (said while knocking on wood) Watching the game though, a college team seems like they have so many players.  I think my son said they have 43 that has to be trimmed to 35 after fall.  Tough.  Alumni game is in a few weeks so we will be back.  Met some nice families, son seems happy so all is good.......so far (still knocking)

I know the feeling.  My son's freshman year at a JuCo there were 55 on the "fall" roster.  Coach said not to worry.  He usually didn't need to make cuts as they would self cut due to grades, disillusionment, red shirt, etc that he would not actually have to make cuts.  Sure enough, by spring the roster was at 35.

And even though the team was on track to go to the regional playoffs by the end of April, the roster dropped to 28 as more quit due to grades or lack of playing time.

Another update. Son will be 3 weeks post ulnar nerve transposition on Thursday. Healing is going well. He will get out of his sling and start rehab. He appears to be a week or two ahead of schedule. His trainer is very pleased with the progress thus far. Just praying that the healing continues and the rehab gets completed without any setbacks. I haven't seen him in about 2 months, but I am going out to see him in a couple of weeks. Enjoy your son's while you have them. Time apart is part of growing up but that doesn't make me miss him any less.
Originally Posted by kandkfunk:
Originally Posted by MidAtlanticDad:
Originally Posted by TPM:
Originally Posted by baseballmomx4:
I hope you don't mind but I really enjoyed last years thread so I thought I would start one for this year.
My son is a freshman pitcher at a D1. I have gotten no real info from him on how things are going. I tried to give him space because I know his schedule is busy.  I finally just texted him to ask if he was still alive. His response "barely but I haven't passed out or thrown up yet and I've made it to all of my classes, so all's good."

How is everyone else doing?

Dont be upset. First semester is a grind and a big adjustment. They dont have time to miss anyone.

I didnt hear much from son, but texting wasnt big then. I got a call when the atm didnt spitback money or how to wash clothes properly. In more ways than one, they still need us.

I guess things haven't changed much since 2004. Got the first call about washing whites

and for extra $$ to pay for a physical this week. First official practice coming up Saturday, but he's been in the gym, cage and on the field pretty much every day since moving in.

I love reading about all your kids. Good luck to everyone.

My son had his first HS fall ball game last night. First time ever wearing white pants (not sure how we escaped that one for all these years). I looked at him and told him he would have a great time getting those clean of the grass stains. He's been doing his own laundry since the age of 12, at his own insistence. I guess that's one call/text I won't get when the time comes.

Iron Out... White pants come out like new. 
http://community.hsbaseballweb...232#3263970989025232

Originally Posted by SluggerDad:
Finally begins next week. 

Does any other school wait so late to begin fall ball I wonder?

It always struck me how late your school gets going.  It is certainly later than any of the schools in this part of the country that I am aware of.  I know you are fully aware but this is a huge advantage for your son in a couple of key ways.  He can really get in the groove with schoolwork and he can spend some time getting sharp with baseball and conditioning on his own before he has to impress the coaches.

Please keep me informed on how it's going, whether via this thread or PM.  I will be following and pulling for a handful of kids there that have been part of my life and would love to do the same for any of or HSBBW family members.

2015 had 3 hits in today's loss,  including a bunt single on 0-1 curveball. Today marked end of his fall season (games). I think next game is in March..what will I do until then? Had a solid fall; didn't want to say anything earlier (heard from BaseballMom about HSBBWEB jinx .) Finished with .395 average, with 5/ 6 steals. Played every game (I think all but a couple of innings), hitting in 1 or 2 hole. Played 2B almost exclusively except for a few innings in CF. Was given opportunity and ran with it. Team struggled though, in situational hitting.

Many posters talk about the delicate academic/baseball time commitment balance their sons experience; 2015 is experiencing that as well. Had to schedule all his classes between the small 9:15-2:45 window. A number of days he would have baseball before the first class and after the last class. Sometimes he'd eat powerbars on the way to classes scheduled close together--around lunchtime. Just the major "chemical engineering" says challenge on its own. But all is not gloomy. I guess his lab partner is a cute swimmer.

Originally Posted by cabbagedad:
Originally Posted by SluggerDad:
Finally begins next week. 

Does any other school wait so late to begin fall ball I wonder?

It always struck me how late your school gets going.  It is certainly later than any of the schools in this part of the country that I am aware of.  I know you are fully aware but this is a huge advantage for your son in a couple of key ways.  He can really get in the groove with schoolwork and he can spend some time getting sharp with baseball and conditioning on his own before he has to impress the coaches.

Please keep me informed on how it's going, whether via this thread or PM.  I will be following and pulling for a handful of kids there that have been part of my life and would love to do the same for any of or HSBBW family members.

Cabbage, you are so right about the advantages of the late start.   Kid just shared with us his mid-term grade reports.  He's really kicking it in the classroom -- and this is a kid who was definitely not a star student in HS.  First day down for fall ball and he's feeling good about his game so far.  fingers crossed. 

Originally Posted by Buckeye 2015:

Last 10 replies from my son to texts that I sent him:

Yes

Get Antonio Brown every week

Don't Care

Not That Good

Lol

I wasn't

Good

Nope

Nope

No

1.8 words per message....  Based on what I'm seeing here that's seems to be the average

Too funny.  My son is way more chatty than most.  Here are his last 10.

Yeah

I will

Yeah

Nope

My check engine light wasn't on today

Wasn't too bad

No I'll pitch on Friday

Yeah everything's good

Thanks!

Yeah

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.