Skip to main content

I have been in contact with several coaches through the fall. One coach in particular sent me his cell number to call. I called him a few times in the fall and all sounded good. He wanted me to call him every few weeks to keep him updated. SO during the holidays I tried calling again and only got his voice mail. I have emailed him several times now and no response. Does this definitely mean now that he is no longer interested in me?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

bballrocker:

Nothing should be considered "definite" unless and until a recruiter tells you that you're no longer on his list of recruits. However, what you describe can't be described as being very promising today; and, until I heard something more from him, I'd assume that he's paying closer attention to some other players at this time.

Having gone back and read some of your earlier posts, you're in the second semester of your junior year; so, there's still quite a bit of recruiting time remaining for you. Since that's the case, I'd recommend backing away from him for awhile. Then, later, as other recruiters begin to indicate where you stand with them, you might consider looping back to him one more time to tell him that you're still interested (assuming that you are); but that conversations with other recruiters are becoming more substantive. That'll put him on notice that he needs to get in your "game" if he wants to play.

Recruiters face a highly fluid world. Their own roster is constantly in flux, and names on their recruiting list come, go, move up, and move down as players make commitments (for and against) and the program's roster needs change. This frequently causes recruiters to run "hot" and "cold" in their level of enthusiasm for individual players as they try to manage their way to the best possible outcome for their program.

Frankly, it's a bit maddening for both sides; but, with so many moving parts in the process, I'm afraid it simply comes with the territory. This is why you read so often here that, as a recruited player, you need to keep your options open as best you can and learn to expect that the process is going to present its share of both highs and lows, throughout.

Best of luck to you!
Last edited by Prepster
D3 coaches can contact a player at any time. D2 may contact players by phone, mail, email, etc. anytime after June 15 preceding the junior year in HS. The D1 rules are under review and could be changed in the near future, but at present coaches can't initiate or reply to electronic communication or mail until September 1 of the junior year, and can't phone until July 1 following the junior year.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.