Skip to main content

I play SS, and lately i have been making errors like crazy. I took some Grounders today with my father and was missing way more than i have ever missed. I am thinking about y i have missed so many and it came to me maybe it is my glove. i am not trying to make a excuse, i should be able to catch any grounder but as i am thinking, i remember my 11 3/4 glove flopping around as i caught a ball or not catching a ball. on plays to my left i couldnt hold on to anything. i am looking at gloves now, and thinking about maybe buying a new glove and get it ready for next year in high school. the gloves i am looking at are 11.5 inches. Right now i use a Nike SDR1175 11.75 inches. and i have a question is the reason i am missing alot of grounders, My glove??
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Ted Williams has been attributed with the line, “It’s not the arrow, it’s the Indian”. He was referring to a bat at the time but it sounds like he could have been talking to you.

You say, “ I was missing way more than I have ever missed”. It would be hard to blame it on the same glove you were using when you thought you were fielding better.

Have you considered taking your glove out to the outfield?

I have a hunch that both of you might be better suited there.
My son went out and bought himself a smaller glove to play shortstop with. He continued to use his larger glove at 3rd. He started making errors handling the ball at short while continuing to handle the ball well at 3rd so I parked him at 3rd. Last game of the season I put him at short for an inning and forced him to use his larger glove. The first ball hit to him was a shot. He handled it cleanly and then overthrew the first baseman. He then started looking at his glove as if to blame the poor throw on the glove. Next chance was a shot up the middle which he fielded cleanly and made the throw. I asked him after the game if he'd had problems getting the ball out of the glove on the first throw. He hadn't. Teenagers.
Last edited by CADad
It's not the glove but then again... We like for our SS to have a 11 1/4 or 11 1/2 glove. I think you would do well to invest in one of those "soft hands" training devices or, since we are so cheap, we take a ping pong paddle hold it with the handle running up the wrist and then field balls. The balls aren't hit hard and you are simply working on receiving the ball but this generally is good work to improve fielding. JMHO!
I now what u mean man. I was using one of those gloves that are real flemsy at the end and bends back everytime u catch with it. As a shortstop u need a nice firm glove. I would perfer Rawlings heart of the hide or pro perrferd. I used them and my errors weren't as much on balls that i back handed because the glove wouldn't bend back when the ball made connection with it. And sometimes it is the equipment. What are u goin to hit better with a Stealth or a easton magnum. But still no coach likes to hear excuses so I would just fix it on ur own. Also take a tennis ball or bouncy ball throw it off a brick wall fairy close to u and practice ur feilding it really helps. Good luck,

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.