Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

TPM,

Sounds like it's an epidemic if you read the last several posts on the Brag forum. Acutally, my son's 2004 Apple crashed not long ago. Turns out the thing has an internal flaw that's common to that year. We took it in and the part is back ordered forever because so many have crashed... so the company sent him a new 2006 model rather than make him wait forever. Wow! Talk about customer service. No complaints here!
I am backing up my Toshiba P20 with Acronis True image as we speak. It is an exact duplicate of the hard drive so if it crashes for hardware failure or software failure I can restore my original settings photos,multimedia etc .
Just bought my son a new Toshiba (not as good as mine) and will do the same for him. Last year his note book had startup file problems but I manageed to get it going again. Not taking any chances this year.
FUNGO my teckies tell me that the VAIO is problematic.
Last edited by BobbleheadDoll
That's my problem,won't start up.

Right before it crashed it sounded like it was taking over itself, some other program was running, the hard drive working away, but no program was up but the one I was in. I thought it just overheated, but now I am suspecting something else.

I can almost place my finger on when it all began, I opened a link here, not posted by one of our regular posters. Be careful.

So I do suggest that everyone do a check up, back up, etc.

As for me, it was my fun pc, bit old, pics alll transfered to discs, etc., all important info on pc at work. However, I hadn't done a back up in ages, so all is lost.

Just good excuse to get a new one, this time I am going mobile.....
Yup...two crashes.

The first time was a week ago Friday...I was driving our little red '89 Hewlett Packard/ Hyundai Excel hybrid...tooling around town...burning rubber, laying down patches...trying to do wheelies. Not causing any trouble, just being myself.

It was about 9:30 pm, I was southbound on Maple, screaming along in fourth gear and doing just over 40 mph when I approached the Moose Lodge. They must have been having their annual Christmas blowout that night. It looked festive...lights strung out all over the place...wreaths and garlands hanging everywhere...a slighty charred plastic Santa wedged into the chimney...and on the porch was Big Thad Papodopoulous doubled over the poinsettias...he was either looking for his car keys or feeding the flowers..."purge on the spurge" so to speak. The Moose Lodge blowouts are legendary.

All I really remember is that my HP/Excel was raring up and nearly on two wheels..."I'm going to do it! My first wheelie!" I exclaimed excitedly to myself. Just as it was about to happen I glanced over at the banner they had hung from the porch posts..."Come One, Come All...42nd Annual Christmas Blowout...Raffles...Door Prizes...Face Painting...Tarot Card Reading...Two legged ungulates $5...Four legged ungulates FREE!"...then the whole world seemed to unravel...the double entry doors of the lodge flew open with such a clatter and something very big and very furry and sporting quite a rack came quite literally flying off the porch and landed on my hood. My hood that was oh so near to overcoming gravity!

What a sight! What a tremendously loud racket!. Shattered windshield glass flying every which way...my neatly arranged coins for the toll plaza scattering like sixth graders on the last day of school...my fuzzy dice were now fuzzy and furry both!...even St. Christopher packed it in and took a seat in the back. There was no missing this spectacle. Even the semi-conscious Big Thad turned around and launched a thankfully unarmored and harmless dry heave salvo at the two of us. A crowd soon gathered...some, following Big Thad's lead, broke into loud choruses of Christmas carols.

My wheelie attempt had suddenly and unceremoniously come off the rim. There I was sitting in the front row...I could barely keep the Bob Ueckerisms contained...and along side of me...nestled very snuggly in the passenger seat was Mr. Moose. The smell of Peppermint Schnapps tinged with onion-dip and serviceberry was overwhelming. He looked dazed...I just looked confused...as usual.

This was our first crash and the incident was well reported. Here's a picture I clipped out of our weekly Shopper's Gazette...

My second crash was just yesterday. I was traveling down to Little Village on the southwest side to call on a customer. This formerly Czech-Polish-Eastern European enclave is now a thriving and bustling Hispanic neighborhood. Things change...including the road signs.

I must have been day dreaming or the visions of sugarplums were still in my head...regardless I missed this sign. Even if I had seen it I probably would have ignored it anyway...I most likely would have interpreted it to be some come on for a "Fashion Show Revue" that were so popular with the lunchtime crowd years ago.

Needless to say it was a legitimate warning sign and I was going way too fast for my aging Chrysler to safely grip the pavement. I skidded across the sidewalk and took out three or four sets of round tables and chairs in front of Paco's Taco Palace. Fortunately it was drizzling and no one was dining alfresco...or however you would say that in Spanish. No one was hurt...and the Chrysler just received a few more city livin' stripes. And hey...Paco makes a darn good taco!

For you folks around Chicago that may want to drive into Little Village...or for those from elsewhere who may plan on visiting someday...here's a picture of that warning sign...don't do as I did...heed it's message!

And you all thought that the Chicago area is flat. Come on and visit...you'll be surprised at what you see!

Seriously TPM...we did have our computer crash recently. I hope there isn't a widespread problem.
Last edited by gotwood4sale
TPM,

My family computer did just what sounds like yours did--made all sorts of whirly noises...and then it just won't get out of the black screen---Can't identify what is the culprit, but with 11 and 13 year old girls in the house, it could be anything Roll Eyes .... called in a friend who repairs computers for a living---but told us if we opened the back of the computer, the warranty is void.... and then finally called HP....had to order recovery disks....

Our friend the techie told us that there is a reason that computers are now cheap---cheap stuff goes into them....and no matter what price you pay for them, they can and do crash.....

So the moral of the story is to BACK UP EVERYTHING !!!!

Of course I had not, and will no doubt lose everything.... cry Oh well, I still have my memories.....

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey!!! When did I get to be an "Old Timer"??? I don't know if I like being an "old" timer--
Can't I just be a Young "Timer"???
Last edited by play baseball
Recovery disks will reset your computer to original factory settings.
Your info is probably still on the HD. There are several things you can do to correct the situation and I suggest you talk to a few other teckies to try and recover the data and find out why it is malfunctioning.
There are ways of restarting a computer in different modes to find the problem.
BobbleheadDoll,

Thanks....I know what the recovery disks will do, and I am sick about it....While I was on the phone with tech support, we did try to restart the computer in different modes and it still won't boot up....

My plan is to bring the computer in to the place where I bought it (also the extended warranty) and they will try to start it from another computer---if so, then they will be able to recover the data, for actually not that much money. For as much as I have yelled strongly and louded suggested to my children that they get off the computer, I wish that ONE of them would become a techno-geek instead of an athlete..... I also wish that one of them would learn a trade, rather than some sort of "useless fluff" like history or political science.....until I (God forbid...) need an attorney.

But I am very willing to try most anything, if anyone has any suggestions......
Last edited by play baseball
bobblehead is correct, data is not lost just because windows crashed or won't start. I've re-installed win-XP several times on daughter's dell laptop with all her personal files remaining intact -

fungo, it would be wise to get yourself a high tech repair funtion built right onto the monitor like mine Cool
gw4s, it's a multifuntion tool capable of eliminating mouse AND moose problems plus a long list of others

Last edited by Bee>

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.