Skip to main content

North Carolina and MSU advance to winners bracket with wins over Oregon State and Washington, respectively.

I thought that OSU might win the opener but the Tarheels started hot and  knocked OSU’s starting pitcher out early.

MSU’s magical post season just keeps on rolling with another walk off hit to put them in the winners bracket.

Today, we have Arkansas vs Texas in the early game and Texas Tech vs Florida in game two.

Should be some good baseball.

Who does everyone have winning today? 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Arkansas, Florida.

I think that UNC only had their starter in for 1 inning.  I think the wind and temperatures have a lot to do with that game and caught both teams off guard.  Heimlichs pitches have crazy movement. He will be able to pitch again this week.

I liked Washington's approach. Keep everything on the ground.

Arkansas, UF for the win today. I DONT want to see an SEC matchup for the championship. The committee said they wanted to avoid that, but poor planning.

Would like to see an ACC vs SEC matchup.

It sure seems like the committee did a lot to keep that from happening. SEC schools were matched up with each other in the same sides of brackets a lot.

Arkansas has faced Florida, Texas Tech, Texas, and Mississippi State in the regular season this year prior to Omaha. Obviously,  the SEC’s remaining schools have faced each other but that’s still a pretty crazy stat for Arkansas considering there are only 8 teams left.

I’d like to see that ACC SEC matchup too but I’m not sure how I feel about the committee manipulating the bracket to avoid a single conference matchup. 

TPM posted:

Arkansas, Florida.

I think that UNC only had their starter in for 1 inning.  I think the wind and temperatures have a lot to do with that game and caught both teams off guard.  Heimlichs pitches have crazy movement. He will be able to pitch again this week.

I liked Washington's approach. Keep everything on the ground.

Arkansas, UF for the win today. I DONT want to see an SEC matchup for the championship. The committee said they wanted to avoid that, but poor planning.

Would like to see an ACC vs SEC matchup.

It should be about the two best teams in the championship game. The NCAA should not be manipulating the bracket.  

The brackets go all the way back to how teams were seeded headed into the regionals. If things went according to plan (no upsets) #1 would play #2 in the best of three finals. Stanford was the #2 seed.

Nothing was rearranged for the CWS. There wasn’t one SEC #1 seed set up to face another SEC #1 seed in the next round. Any SEC v. SEC matchups have occurred due to a lower seed beating a higher seed. It’s by pure chance (upset wins in their region) the two teams with the worst records played each other in the first round of the CWS.

https://www.ncaa.com/interacti...ket/baseball/d1/2018

Last edited by RJM
MidAtlanticDad posted:

3 games on the schedule today, and more bad weather. Frustrating.

This is not a new situation. It rained when we went to Omaha and that was a while ago. With such hot days, mid afternoon storms are inevitable. The teams also plan their activities around their schedules and transportation is based on wins and losses.

Unfortunetly the schedule is based on ESPNs programming. With this weather you have to start the first game earlier. Not because its costing the NCAA more money but because its frustrating for the players.

TPM posted:
MidAtlanticDad posted:

3 games on the schedule today, and more bad weather. Frustrating.

This is not a new situation. It rained when we went to Omaha and that was a while ago. With such hot days, mid afternoon storms are inevitable. The teams also plan their activities around their schedules and transportation is based on wins and losses.

Unfortunetly the schedule is based on ESPNs programming. With this weather you have to start the first game earlier. Not because its costing the NCAA more money but because its frustrating for the players.

Agree with you on the weather. Starting earlier makes sense but I do think they are trying to balance the different times zones for TV coverage. 2PM CT, obviously, is a noon start on pacific time. 

When March Madness has 64 teams, they start early on Thursday and Friday and then move to prime time as the field narrows. Of course, they play indoors too.

Coach_May posted:

Well if you listen to the ESPN crew they should cancel the rest of the CWS and just give the trophy to OSU. 

When there’s a blowout the announcers job is to keep viewers from changing the channel. They typically make it seem like if you change the channel you will miss something special. And the team is loaded. They have the best record over the past two years.

There is no doubt their team is loaded. I believe they are the most talented team in the tourney. And I could see them excessively gloating over one team the entire night if the only people watching were OSU fans. But I highly doubt that's the case. The problem I have with ESPN is they can't get off of something once they get on it. From a rally banana to a player's walk up routine. They make me want to change the channel. But I could be the only one that stuff bothers and that wouldn't surprise me either.  

Coach_May posted:

There is no doubt their team is loaded. I believe they are the most talented team in the tourney. And I could see them excessively gloating over one team the entire night if the only people watching were OSU fans. But I highly doubt that's the case. The problem I have with ESPN is they can't get off of something once they get on it. From a rally banana to a player's walk up routine. They make me want to change the channel. But I could be the only one that stuff bothers and that wouldn't surprise me either.  

There’s no doubt ESPN beats a theme to death. If you use “banana” for the drinking game when Mississippi State is playing you won’t be able to stand for the 7th inning stretch. Then there’s Ben McDonald who thinks there’s only one conference in college baseball. 

Last edited by RJM
RJM posted:
Coach_May posted:

There’s no doubt ESPN beats a theme to death. If you use “banana” for the drinking game when Mississippi State is playing you won’t be able to stand for the 7th inning stretch. Then there’s Ben McDonald who thinks there’s only one conference in college baseball. 

It wasn’t just OSU they were gloating over. I thought we were going to get an update on Clemens brushing his teeth before going to bed at night. 

They were all over Kody and Roger during the Arkansas / Texas game.

PlayWithEffort posted:
RJM posted:
Coach_May posted:

It wasn’t just OSU they were gloating over. I thought we were going to get an update on Clemens brushing his teeth before going to bed at night. 

What are the Conines doing this week? 

RJM posted:
PlayWithEffort posted:
RJM posted:
Coach_May posted:

What are the Conines doing this week? 

Kody was just getting a lot of love. He’s obviously one of their marquee guys so it makes sense but it got a little over bearing during the broadcast. Of course Roger was there in the stands so he got a lot of camera time too.

It just felt like they had a lot of material ready. I guess they need to support the Longhorn network too.

I was pulling for Arkansas so I might have noticed it more than most. 

Wow to the OSU/UNC game. Not the result I expected, but I guess when the fog rolled in, the boys from Oregon felt right at home. The weather has been crazy, but cooler weather makes the experience more enjoyable.Rain today, low of 59. 

The guy fast asleep in the stands made my day.

TPM posted:

Wow to the OSU/UNC game. Not the result I expected, but I guess when the fog rolled in, the boys from Oregon felt right at home. The weather has been crazy, but cooler weather makes the experience more enjoyable.Rain today, low of 59. 

The guy fast asleep in the stands made my day.

The tv announcers had UNC winning it - "UNC has just six outs to go" - and then whoa boy, did OSU ever change that in two innings!

Coach_May posted:

Final 4 set and 3 of the teams from the SEC. 

I’ll admit I am a homer and I’m certain I’ll get blasted, but I think this confirms the argument of the best conference. Last year you had an all SEC final and this year 3 of final 4. I realize the parity in college baseball, but that even further supports the argument, IMHO.

I’m not saying that Oregon State won’t win, but Arkansas and Florida are EXTREMELY talented. I think Miss State is a little overmatched from a talent standpoint, but yet they figure out a way to survive. I expect OSU will ultimately win that bracket. Whomever wins the other bracket is going to give the Beavers all they want and then some. Will be fun to watch. If it comes down to OSU, UF and Arkansas, I can honestly say those are the 3 best teams this year. 

After saying all that, Miss State will probably win it all!

I won't be doing any blasting.  The SEC is a very, very talented conference.  I think by playing every weekend in a tough conference, in big stadiums, with crowds in attendance, prepares the SEC teams very well for the stage that is the CWS.  They get battle tested all spring and that is the best way to make a run for the national championship.  Not many "light/easy" weekends on the SEC conference schedule, or the conference tournament for that matter.

Last edited by 9and7dad
younggun posted:
Coach_May posted:

I’ll admit I am a homer and I’m certain I’ll get blasted, but I think this confirms the argument of the best conference. Last year you had an all SEC final and this year 3 of final 4. I realize the parity in college baseball, but that even further supports the argument, IMHO.

I’m not saying that Oregon State won’t win, but Arkansas and Florida are EXTREMELY talented. I think Miss State is a little overmatched from a talent standpoint, but yet they figure out a way to survive. I expect OSU will ultimately win that bracket. Whomever wins the other bracket is going to give the Beavers all they want and then some. Will be fun to watch. If it comes down to OSU, UF and Arkansas, I can honestly say those are the 3 best teams this year. 

One could argue the only reason there is only 3 sec teams in the final 4 is because of the way the supers pairings fell only 3 could make it. 

My ideal situation of the CWS is 2 teams, unknown to each other on the field, battling it out. 

FL looked pooped out, Singer looked pooped as did the rest of the Gators. I missed the first game.

I think Mississippi has had its run, so an OSU/AK matchup in the finals is OK with me. 

younggun posted:
Coach_May posted:

I think Oregon State is the best team, with as much/more talent than anyone, but Arkansas is in a better position to win it all.

The SEC is a great conference - no doubt.  But without getting into an argument, the process (RPIs, seedings, pairings...) seems to be set up a little better for them to have more chances to get teams there. Gotta get there to win it.

Given the overall historical success of teams West of the Mississippi vs. East of it, I'm not ready to hand the SEC the "best conference" crown.  Not saying they aren't, just not quite so clear to someone who has lived on both coasts and seen plenty of college baseball East to West.

justbaseball posted:
younggun posted:
Coach_May posted:

I think Oregon State is the best team, with as much/more talent than anyone, but Arkansas is in a better position to win it all.

The SEC is a great conference - no doubt.  But without getting into an argument, the process (RPIs, seedings, pairings...) seems to be set up a little better for them to have more chances to get teams there. Gotta get there to win it.

Given the overall historical success of teams West of the Mississippi vs. East of it, I'm not ready to hand the SEC the "best conference" crown.  Not saying they aren't, just not quite so clear to someone who has lived on both coasts and seen plenty of college baseball East to West.

Why doesn't the Pac12 play for conference championship like every other conference does? Asked this before never got a real answer. The conference champion, regardless, gets an automatic bid. 

justbaseball posted:

Don’t know. Might be related to a lot of them being in quarters which means they’re in finals at that time. But I don’t know. 

Not every Pac 12 school is on the quarter system. I was surprised Cal isn’t when UCLA is. UCLA’s finals were from the 9th to the 15th. The tournament was already in Super Regionals. 

The problem is the regular seasons runs up to the week before regionals. The season schedule would have to be adjusted.

Last edited by RJM

It's too bad that the Pac 12 doesn't have a tourney.  

The unfortunate fact is that this year two Pac 12 teams really underperformed in the regionals. Others, like Arizona, Cal, and ASU just couldn't take advantage of talented rosters.   Maybe a Pac 12  tournament would help with that.  Also, as discussed here recently, the Big West only had one team in the bracket and it didn't have the kind of impact it usually has had.  

If one of the 3 surviving SEC teams wins the CWS it'll be hard to argue that they are the preeminent conference, at least this year.  If OSU wins, well, at least there's another side to the argument.

Last edited by JCG
justbaseball posted:
younggun posted:
Coach_May posted:

I can see your point about the setup in conference RPIs being a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy but that only rewards you if you win enough. Kentucky is a heck of a ball club and they were left out.

I don’t know about the rest of the SEC but Arkansas’ out of conference schedule was absolutely brutal.

The hogs played Arizona, Texas Tech, Texas, Dallas Baptist and Missouri State out of conference during the regular season.

They caught Texas Tech and Texas again in the post season plus South Carolina and Florida again as well.

hshuler posted:

No matter who wins the ‘ship, the SEC is the best conference. Not sure how anyone could argue otherwise. 

Oregon State is a very talented team, they are really fun to watch and maybe the best team in college baseball...but if we remove all biases, it’s clear which conference is best. 

Including this year and going back to 2008 in the CWS, the SEC has had a team in the championship series 12 times. Twice, during that time, it was an all SEC final.

Florida, LSU, Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, South Carolina and now Arkansas make up the list.

3 teams from the SEC East and now 3 from the West. If Miss State wins today, it will be 13 appearances since 2008 and the 3rd  time for an all SEC final.

There will always be more  SEC teams because there are more SEC teams!

Kentucky would have only gotten in only if they won the conference. With a 13-17 conference record and a 31 RPI it wasn't going to happen.  That's the nature of the beast in the SEC, 

I subscribe to the theory, the better competition you face, the better your team becomes. Arkansas certainly is that example!

hshuler posted:

No matter who wins the ‘ship, the SEC is the best conference. Not sure how anyone could argue otherwise. 

Oregon State is a very talented team, they are really fun to watch and maybe the best team in college baseball...but if we remove all biases, it’s clear which conference is best. 

I've watched a LOT (as in over 1,000 games) of baseball on both coasts.  I've been into the heart of the SEC for a regional (great atmosphere!) with an SEC team that made it to Omaha vs. a 3rd place Pac12 team and a 1st place ACC team.

Its not clear to me.

Last edited by justbaseball
justbaseball posted:
hshuler posted:

I've watched a LOT (as in over 1,000 games) of baseball on both coasts.  I've been into the heart of the SEC for a regional (great atmosphere!) with an SEC team that made it to Omaha vs. a 3rd place Pac12 team and a 1st place ACC team.

Its not clear to me.

Point taken. 

Idont have a dog in this fight.

It's very interesting to me that OSU really didn't play their best until the cooler weather set in.

Arkansas absolutely had the better schedule vs RPI and showed a willingness to play west coast teams away and at home.  There is a reason why they are the #1 team in the SEC. 

I just wish the Pac12 would have a conference championship the way all other conferences do.

Either way should be a great final series. 

A few more thoughts on this....

Its hard for me to root for Oregon State.  Their fans, by far, treat opposing teams' parents and players the worst I've seen anywhere - either coast.  OTOH, its an incredible environment if you play on their team, but as an opposing family - I prefer Ole Miss, Baylor, UNC, etc... and even Texas to OSU even though all of them have terrific home team environments as well.

I came around on Pat Casey, who I didn't particularly like much either (guilt by association?) - until he did something incredibly classy relative to our younger son.  Showed me something I couldn't observe from the stands and so I do root for him.

My wife's family originates from Arkansas - they are solid Razorback fans, although my wife is close to neutral on them.   And I agree - they had the toughest schedule in America this year.  (She still can't root for OSU - due in part to many personal encounters with their fans in their stadium over 2 sons/8 years). 

So I'm probably 'ok' with either team winning.  While they were the number-1 seed, I couldn't see how Florida could win it this year - they just looked vulnerable to me starting with their regional - and that finally caught up with them.  Washington was a little fortunate to get to Omaha, but they competitively lost their first game 1-0 in the 9th to Miss. State.  Stanford (number-2 seed) was as good as any of these teams, but I could see their loss coming as they tailed off at the end of the year.

Its about being hot at the right time as much as anything - however, I do feel like the two best teams are in the finals.

BTW, I do think Arizona and Cal had good cases to be in this tournament.  If that conference was in the SE or East Coast, I bet they woulda been in.  Likewise, put the SEC or ACC on the West Coast and they likely get two less teams due in part to the way the RPI is calculated and the fact that their games are rarely seen on the East Coast (heck, I don't even stay up to watch them - I have both the Pac12 and SEC networks).  Washington had the lowest RPI for any at-large team, yet they made it.  While I said they were somewhat fortunate, I didn't say they were lucky.  They were a very good team.  Illustrates a little bit of the RPI problem.

Last edited by justbaseball

The way it was explained to me, there are 4 ways a team can make the 64 field. 40 wins,  under 40 RPI, top 25 ranking all season or automatic bid by winning the championship. You must show the committee a winning record in your conference. You can't make the field unless you win your championship if lacking in conference wins and I think that is where the Pac 12, loses out. 

I agree about Florida, who had important players injured down the stretch. They didn't really struggled as the #1 team, but I don't think it was their year. 

The SEC and will always have the most teams, and of course the conference with the most teams with home field advantage. They also have the most fans in attendance1

I think if Cal or Arizona had won a Pac12 tournament, it just woulda knocked Washington out of the tournament due to the RPI issues.  Hard for me to see how it addresses the issue of perception that I think exists.

FSU will almost always be over-seeded.  The Pac12 will be limited to 3-4 berths.  Just the way its been for a while now.

TD, 

If Cal or AZ won it's possible, depending on the conference RPI. And how many auto bids they have to give out overall.  

It's not always a best scenario situation. The results this year were surprising but I think when big conference teams battle it out in their tournaments it hurts down the road. I think both Clemson and FSU pooped out the week before regionals. So did South Carolina

FSU got a higher seeded regional over Clemson because they won the ACC title. Clemson got screwed.

Couple of teams got the shaft, but overall it all comes out in the wash. It's a tough road to Omaha, and you can't make it unless you havec enough consistant arms.

2019Dad posted:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/base...lehold-college-world

This surprised me: "They’ve played four NCAA tournament games against the SEC — two against LSU and two here against Mississippi State — and gone 4-0. Not a soft 4-0, either. Combined score of those games: 43-4."

LSU and MSU are not dominant this year. They are good but not great. MSU has won two of the playoff games with walk-offs, maybe both were even elimination games.  Had MSU not had a good weekend series against Florida, they may have not even made the SEC Tournament nor the NCAA playoffs. Saying all that, the SEC is deep and has many good teams.  Florida was playing well early in the year but severely tailed off later in the season.  Arkansas is a very good team, offensively and pitching wise.  Many of the SEC teams had to play in the same Regional and Super Regional brackets.

You will see the post earlier that I picked Arkansas to win their side of the bracket and I picked OSU to win the other side and that is even after OSU lost their first game. I hope the Razorbacks win but I pick OSU to take it all. I hope that I'm wrong.

S.P.S.!!!!!

PitchingFan posted:

Thoughts on Mississippi State not hiring Henderson?  I would love to know what the players thought.  He stepped in and led them through a tough year.

TPM posted:

Word is out he really didnt want the job in the first place. All recruiting responsibilities and final word is on the HC.  

I was shocked it was not offered to Henderson and then shocked again with TPMs post that he didn't want it.   So, the question needs to be asked where is he going next, and what is he going to do.  He is too good of a coach.  There is something else going on here that is not public yet...just a feeling.

Quoted from two different articles:

Henderson wants the job

After remaining silent for weeks about the prospects of having the "interim" tag dropped from his title, MSU interim head coach Gary Henderson made his case for taking over the job permanently when asked directly about it at the post-game press conference.

"I'm just really optimistic," Henderson said. "That's coach (John) Cohen's decision. He'll do a good job with it. We're kind of in, you know? And we'd like to stay there."

Henderson brought his entire coaching staff into the interview room and talked about how each of them had made a significant contribution to the Bulldogs' miracle run to the brink of the championship series.

"I love this assistant coach staff that we have," he said. "We have started something special. The fans are in, and we'd like to stay and make a run of it."

Henderson wasn't the only one pushing his ascension, either. When it came time for Oregon State coach Pat Casey — a friend of Henderson's — to speak, he immediately mentioned Henderson and credited him with the Bulldogs' success.

"What a tremendous club they have," Casey said. "Gary Henderson — the job he's done at Mississippi State is second to none, and that's pretty impressive. And my hat's off to him and the whole deal. It's a tough day when you lose at Omaha, but it only takes a day or two for everybody to realize how special it was to get here."

Cohen could have handed the keys to the program to the man who just orchestrated State’s improbable run in 2018 as interim head coach – his good friend Gary Henderson. Instead, Cohen opted for Lemonis.

“When I was charged with moving our program forward, I couldn’t allow personal feelings, friendship or anything to interfere with moving this program forward for the next 10 years,” Cohen said. “That’s what I was committed to doing.”

Cohen did note that Henderson will have the opportunity to remain at MSU in some capacity should he choose to do so, and if not, Cohen will support that decision as well.

“Gary Henderson is not going to be kicked to the curb,” Cohen said. “Gary Henderson is going to be a part of Mississippi State as long as he chooses to be. Certainly if he chooses to be a head coach or an assistant coach anywhere, I’m going to help him as I’ve always done.”

PitchingFan posted:

Great job last night by Arkansas.  Thoughts on interference call?  I think it was a good call but I'm sure others will disagree.

I don't know what the rule is but there was definitely no interference and the runner stopping and ducking in no way affected the play, so in this sense I think it was either a horrible call or its a horrible rule.  I'm fine with calling him out if his action affected the play, but that was ridiculous.

Smitty28 posted:
PitchingFan posted:

Great job last night by Arkansas.  Thoughts on interference call?  I think it was a good call but I'm sure others will disagree.

I don't know what the rule is but there was definitely no interference and the runner stopping and ducking in no way affected the play, so in this sense I think it was either a horrible call or its a horrible rule.  I'm fine with calling him out if his action affected the play, but that was ridiculous.

The rule is you must slide directly into the bag if there is a play. The rule was interpreted and applied correctly by the umpire, IMO. Not sure I agree with the rule, but it is what it is. Same rule cost us (LSU) a run and who knows what may have happened last year against UF. 

The runner should have slid. The umpire was watching the mif and when he saw the hesitation to throw he assumed it was because the runner didn't get down. In reality I think he hesitated because no one covered the bag. If he slides there is no call to be made. Yes he was farther from the bag than normal but that situation happens when balls are hit hard and or runners are not very fast. Get down and there is no reason to call anything. 

Smitty28 posted:
PitchingFan posted:

Rule 8-4a states that:

On any force play, the runner must slide on the ground before the base and in a direct line between the two bases. It is permissible for the slider’s momentum to carry him through the base in the baseline extended. Exception - A runner need not slide directly into a base as long as the runner slides orruns in a direction away from the fielder to avoid making contact or altering the play of the fielder. Interference shall not be called.

The explanation given by the fu was "he went directly at the fielder." This is, clearly the correct call. He doesn't have to slide and can peel away as long as it is "in a direction away from the fielder." Since he did not slide directly into the base, it is interference, by rule, unless he meets one of the two exceptions. He did not slide "in a direction away from the fielder" and did not run "in a direction away from the fielder." In fact, he peeled of in a direction toward  the fielder. Peeling off in any direction that is not "away from the fielder" is, therefore, interference per se. 

The call was correct and it was correct for exactly the reason the ump gave in his conversation with Casey and not, as the ESPN crew would have you believe, the right call for the wrong reasons.

Bad brain fart by the runner, one of many, many, unforced errors by OSU in the CWS.  I wonder if he thought the ball was going to get through?   Because otherwise, he needs to be anticipating a throw to 1st and getting ready to slide.  As the announcers kept saying the play really did change the complexion of the game, but that's on Rutschman, not the umpire.

roothog66 posted:
Smitty28 posted:
PitchingFan posted:

Rule 8-4a states that:

On any force play, the runner must slide on the ground before the base and in a direct line between the two bases. It is permissible for the slider’s momentum to carry him through the base in the baseline extended. Exception - A runner need not slide directly into a base as long as the runner slides orruns in a direction away from the fielder to avoid making contact or altering the play of the fielder. Interference shall not be called.

The explanation given by the fu was "he went directly at the fielder." This is, clearly the correct call. He doesn't have to slide and can peel away as long as it is "in a direction away from the fielder." Since he did not slide directly into the base, it is interference, by rule, unless he meets one of the two exceptions. He did not slide "in a direction away from the fielder" and did not run "in a direction away from the fielder." In fact, he peeled of in a direction toward  the fielder. Peeling off in any direction that is not "away from the fielder" is, therefore, interference per se. 

The call was correct and it was correct for exactly the reason the ump gave in his conversation with Casey and not, as the ESPN crew would have you believe, the right call for the wrong reasons.

I'm not disagreeing with that, but I think when a rule impacts the game more than the play does, it's a bad rule.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.