Skip to main content

Hi

My Cali son is looking only at East Coast schools. After 2 showcases this summer, lots of emails to coaches and lots of campus tours/interviews - he has a good list of schools all that he really likes. He has yet to hear anything from coaches other than "let's keep talking- keep me posted" type of stuff. He is willing to go ED at possibly either of 2 schools on his list (maybe others if going ED means baseball)  

My questions are:

Can he/should he email (or call) a coach and how does he say he'd like to go ED if it means a roster spot? Or is that simply not done? Any sample letters?

If he hasn't heard anything more positive yet, does he forget ED and cast the net wide open for spring or is baseball not going to happen?

Thanks!!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

He needs real interest. An offer . I highly recommend the AZ fall classic all-academic try out . The deadline to register is 9/21. Gotta hurry. Try-outs are stacked w/ east coast schools. He does NOT need to be on a roster for the rest of the event as far as I know.

This is the best showcase for high academic guys besides Stanford Camp on the West Coast.

Here is the link :http://azfallclassic.com/all-academic-game/

Any questions PM me

I have not read here that players have had success initiating the discussion about applying ED1.  It's usually the other way around - you'll know when a coach wants him and wants to use one of his spots by having son apply ED1.  He could start a discussion about where he stands on their board, when decisions will be made, etc to try to get more of a feel on when they'll be making their decision but the D3 East Coast schools are having players on campus now (it was first recruit weekend at son's D3 this weekend) and making those sort of offers so he needs to potentially be more direct with his questions soon.

I would be worried about applying to a wide range of D3 schools and hoping to walk-on baseball wise based on what son tells me happened with try-outs at his D3 this week.  Try-outs were primarily for walk-ons and so far only the walk-ons have been cut.  

Is he set on the east coast? Do not discount the fly over schools in the midwest. 

Does he have the academic chops to b get intobthe east coast schools without ED? As MK said it is the coach who decides who he supports through ED. 

IMO, if the schools of his choice are not showing interest than it is time to expand the list of schools and the regions he is willing to go to. But you have to move fast. EA is comming up. And if you do not go ED, most coaches want you to go Early Action. For schools in my neck of the woods that is usually Nov. 1.

If baseball is not in the cards, does he have a backup plan? It is not too late but he should be getting some love by this time.

He has one Midwest school on his list and he has several schools on his list that he can get into without ED. Also, some have an ED 2 option... So it's a well-rounded list IMO. And he would go to most of them even if baseball is not an option... For him, it is not baseball at all costs but it's extremely important to him.

We've heard that there is a 2nd (small) wave of recruiting in the spring?

I missed the D3 title...sorry about that...

Your son should call coaches now, not email.  He should ask where he stands.  "I am really interested in School X, and I want to know where I stand with your recruiting class."

2017's want a guaranteed roster spot for Spring 2018 not a Fall 2017 tryout as noted.  For his top school, he should also tell the coach that it's his favorite. 

Coaches will respond.  They'll let him know where he stands so that he can make a decision whether to apply to a school or not, whether they're supporting him with admissions, etc.

Regarding another D3 recruiting wave in the Spring...not really, no.  Admission decisions are being made in March/April if regular decision.  Most coaches will try to get their targeted guys to apply ED or EA and commit once accepted.  That means D3 roster spots are being filled in December - February.  So coaches with open slots after all the EA and ED spots will certainly try to fill with guys who have gone regular decision, but these are also undoubtedly guys they've recruited who wouldn't apply ED or EA for whatever reason.  Then there's the Fall tryout at many places...

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.