Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by itsrosy:
If it makes you and your fellow ws fans forget about the current state of your team, by looking at pictures from the Championship year, or bashing the Cubs, so be it.

Why would we look at pictures rosy when we can relive the moment gathered around the radio and listen to the rebroadcast?

"Uribe fields Palmeiro's low hop grounder on the run and fires over to Konerko for the last out... another dismal and disappointing game for Cub fans everywhere!"

Wink

Last edited by gotwood4sale
gotwood!!!!!!!!!

A very nice post in the clutch!

TPM....Most (98%) fans are unaware that our 2 teams played each other for more than 25 years in a "City Series" which, in Chicago, overshadowed the World Series!

Of course the Sox beat the day lights out of the cubs repeatedly until the cubs called it quits in 1942 after losing 8 City Series in a row!
TPM, Baseball is all about celebrating the past. See posts on the Hall of Fame. The steroid issue is as much about the integrity of the records (great feats of the PAST) as it is anything else. What good is a championship pennant if you can't run it up the flagpole? Why retire numbers of great players? We'll see how quick fans of other teams forget about the WS championship if htey were ever to get one.
Why is it when the Cubs have a bad season, the fans desire improvement from either the players, manager, general manager, and/or the owner and when the Sox have a bad season their fans point fault at another team? I have decided that I am going to adopt this wierd philosophy. Whenever the Cubs underachieve, I am going to make fun of the Royals from now on.
Here, like most places revisionists seem to believe that if you say it often enough it becomes true.

I need to understand that the main ingredients to being a sox fan are 1. Worrying about The Cubs and 2. Clinging to history that includes a mediocre record at best (usually teams that celebrate a great history have a great history) 3. See #1 after thinking about #2.

Once I understand this, I'll have a much easier time understanding these dudes who otherwise seem to be good people.
quote:
Originally posted by soxnole:
TPM....

CWS???...........Whaddayasmokin?

In baseball, history is EVERYTHING and...as a Cardinal fan it should be paramount
in your mind since they are the # 2 team of all time.

Just like the cubs are 2nd best in Chicago, now and all-time.

Just like the NL is 2nd best now and all-time.

CWS = Chigaco White Sox

I know I was kidding you, FWIW, I am a Card fan by relation, I am actually just learning about the Cardinal Nation, well you know, in case I have to go to STL someday. Smile Pretty neat stuff on them, and I do love the color red!

But here is something interesting I learned, applies to the Card Nation, maybe as well as Cub and WSox nation.
The reason they have such a following is way before expansion they were the farthest western teams, making them the only teams.
Marlins have zip nation, but they are fun to watch.
Last edited by TPM
quote:
Originally posted by FastballDad:
I need to understand that the main ingredients to being a sox fan are ... Clinging to history that includes a mediocre record at best ...

If only Cubs fans had something to cling to...like the World Series trophy at US Comiscular.

If they work really, really hard though, maybe someday the Cubs can elevate themselves to mediocrity, in spite of the enormous climb from where they are.

Fairy tales are so much fun to tell...even if they'll never come true. But instead of this one ending like most fairy tales, where they, "live happily ever after", the Cubbies fairy tale always ends with the same, "wait 'till next year". Kinda like the sign in bars, "Free Beer Tomorrow".
Last edited by CPLZ
Notice the whining from the north side...instead of relevant discussion.

We don't psychoanalyze your need for the "W", we just don't like your team.

It's not about you guy's!

It's about your bunch of losers in boystown.

And, for the record, here are a few facts that no matter how often you don't want to hear it, ARE TRUE!!!

World Series Head to Head
Sox 4 cubs 2

World Series Winners
Sox 3 cubs 2.

City Series
Sox 156 cubs 91

Cross Town Classic
Sox 17 cubs 13

Regular Season interleague
Sox 37 cubs 35

Anyway you slice it the SOUTH SIDE RULES and boystown drools.

It's about your team fellas, not about us.
As a Cub fan, I'm concerned about The Cards, Brewers, Mets, Dodgers, etc. etc. I'd think the sox fans would be more concerned about staying ahead of say, the Royals for instance.

It isn't Cub Fan that is concerned about the sox and their paltry few fans, it's the sox fan that can't let go of the cubs.

It is fitting that a sox fan would compare their team with the cubs, when you are trying to catch up that's what you do. Kinda like Chrysler comapring themselves to Mercedes. No, more like Yugo comparing themselves to Dodge.
Speaking for my generation, I started watching baseball in the late sixties. I came home from school and watched the Cubs in the afternoon. They had a likeable group of players that were on the team for a long time, prior to free agency. Every kid knew the Cubs batting order by heart in 1969. The White Sox were on UHF and not as often which did not come in real well on my dads black and white Zenith. So, when I was a kid, those Cubs got me interested in baseball. Now my kids are playing the game and I have followed the team ever since. There has never been any animosity towards the Sox. The Cubs just got my attention first and I have stayed loyal to them. It just seems that you are trying to create a war that really isn't there for many Cub fans.
Nobody on the Sox side is saying anything derogatory about the individual cub fan.

The team, ballpark and neighborhood are different stories.

Nor are we trying to psycoanalyze any cub fans.

Again, we are not concerned about why or how you became a cub fan.

Just annoyed at your consistent diatribe about what we should be interested in, concerned about or why we don't like the cubs...we just don't.

My digs are based in fact and there is no disputing that we are the better team historically.

Wrigley is considered a great tourist attraction and there are more cub fans than Sox fans (about 55% to 45%). These things don't matter to us.

In my experience, by percentage, there are an equal amount of cub or Sox haters. This is great, not bad! It allows Chicagoan's to have a unique personality and a higher interest in the sport year round.

There are absolute truth's as the Sox fans have repeatedly pointed out:

First, we beat the cubs everyway from sunday.

Second, We last won it all in 2005 and your team last won it all in 1908.

No matter the stiff upper lip or brazen banter, that, to me is the reason we mock your team while you seem to mock us.

But it's not about us.........It's about the team.
I mock both teams. That is pointed out as I started this thread.

But Soxnole, you gotta admit you don't talk about "boystown drooling" as a compliment to Cubs fans, so drop the point about not being concerned about the fans!

It is better with this banter, and for those of you who can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen!

It's all in fun!

BTW, I went to the cell block this year and there were actually a few attractive women there.
Last edited by FastballDad
Whoever said that we want you to be interested or care about or even like the Cubs? I couldn't care less. We don't mock Sox fans. We are just perplexed as to why you are more concerned with our team than your team. As a matter of fact, if you did not bring it up, I would not even notice Sox fans. And finally, if you think that you have the better team throughout history, whatever. There are several teams that can get in line with you. I don't think that there is a Cub fan alive that is bragging about our "glory years". We are very aware of the flaws in our team. We do not need a Sox fan to point them out. It reminds of the neighbor that is quick to point out the shortcomings in your kid as if their kid did not have any.
quote:
Originally posted by RRF8:
Whoever said that we want you to be interested or care about or even like the Cubs? I couldn't care less. We don't mock Sox fans. We are just perplexed as to why you are more concerned with our team than your team. As a matter of fact, if you did not bring it up, I would not even notice Sox fans. And finally, if you think that you have the better team throughout history, whatever. There are several teams that can get in line with you. I don't think that there is a Cub fan alive that is bragging about our "glory years". We are very aware of the flaws in our team. We do not need a Sox fan to point them out. It reminds of the neighbor that is quick to point out the shortcomings in your kid as if their kid did not have any.

I couldn't have said it better, or as succinct, as you have.
quote:
I don't think that there is a Cub fan alive that is bragging about our "glory years".

You're probably right about that...seeing as most of those would probably be civil war vets. Even doughboys were too young to experience the Cubs glory years.

Things that have happened since the Cubs "Glory Years"

WW1
Flappers
Black Monday
The Great Depression (the one other than just being a Cubs fan)
WW 2
The Edsel
Elvis is born
The Korean War
Space Travel
Vietnam
Watergate
Elvis Dies

The salient question here, is if someday, someone from the future will find this list and be able to add, First manned mission to another galaxy...
Last edited by CPLZ

I think this one may be appropriate rosy...have a listen!

Send Me No Whine!

Please sing along...

Send me no whine
    Or I'll start an altercation.
    Leave me your vines
    In my imagination.
    I always find
    Cubs in my mind.
    You wanna make me leave my,
    Little heart behind?

Send me, send me no whine,
    Just send the Cubs my way.

For once in my life
    I need no hallucination.
    All of my time
    Spent in fascination.
    Give me your Cubs,
    With them in my life.
    If only every Sox fan
    Found the answer in love.

Last edited by gotwood4sale
All in good fun.

FBDad....please tell me how many boystown residents care about the cubs. They are simply an obstacle to be avoided during night games. I do not count them as cub fans although there may be a few.

Now for the compliment....You guys must be commended for your loyalty, it is your single greatest attribute. Your team loses annually and you always come back for more. Believe it or not that is why Sox fans have so much fun with you....especially since 05.

rosy....and RRF8.....Maybe RRF8 doesn't mock but rosy come on, get real. Maybe thats why you COULDN"T have said it better! As far as why we worry about the cubs...we don't. Sox fans are like Alfred E. Neuman when it comes to the cubs...no worries just good humor. We live in Chicago gents and the freakin trib owns these bums. We have to listen to pro cub BS constantly. One last time... cub fans as a rule are the same as Sox fans according to demographic studies...right down to education and income. To say they are holier than us regarding their interest in the Sox and constant banter is ridiculous. Maybe you have a point regarding this board...overall, not so much.
I never said that we are holier than you are. Our insecurities are just placed in a different direction. It has been my experience that Cub fans hate the Cardinals far more than the Cardinal fans hate the Cubs. I think all that winning has made them soft. I was at a game in St. Louis a couple of years ago and a fan told me if they don't win the division, he hoped that we would because he felt sorry for us. That hurt.
Soxnole, we never said that you "worry" about the Cubs. What we don't get is your obsession with them, the park, the neighborhood and the fans. Cub fans love the team unconditionally, love Wrigley Field, and the neighborhood in which the park sits. If you hate all of the above, why do you insist on writing about it ad nauseum?

RRF8, right on about the Redbirds. That is the team which Cub fans care about. The ws aren't even in the discussion.
Well, now that we all love each other we can move on and find something we can all support mutually like maybe the Chicago 2016 Olympics. Ha

The Cubs are for better or worse going to be run a lot more like the ws have been for a while under their new ownership. Hopefully we will get better results.

CPLZ, it isn't your positive attitude (I'll trust you at your word on that) that annoys people, it's your thinking your rotten apple is better than my rotten apple just because it's yours.
What a great, funny & entertaining thread to read after a long day.
I've only been around for 40 yrs of Chicago sports. Besides the 6 Jordan titles,(out of this world player and era/once in lifetime), the 85 Bears and the fluke of 05 I've seen primarily mediocre to bad baseball, basketball, football and hockey.
Seen lots of tough games, weeks, years, decades. Love the Cubs, they have been awful. Dislike but respect the Sox, they've been slightly better than Cubs and certainly have better food and restrooms.
Despite the tough years it has been an absolute thrill following Chicago sports teams for one reason - the fans and the passion they show as seen on this thread and this site. Would put Chicago fans up against any city, maybe not in terms of pure sports knowledge but definitely passion and loyalty ( - the 70,000 or so fans the Sox temporarily had in 05). Laughed out loud at some of this stuff and hadn't done that in a while.
Looking forward to many more years of bad to mediocre teams around here and loving every minute of it. Also, never tire of Soxnole's disdain for all things Cubdom - even it not always politically correct it cracks me up and is usually right on the money.
quote:
Originally posted by FastballDad:
CPLZ, it isn't your positive attitude (I'll trust you at your word on that) that annoys people, it's your thinking your rotten apple is better than my rotten apple just because it's yours.

My circa 2005 apple seems much, much fresher than the petrified Cubs apple of 1908.

FBD, isn't this an example of the stereotypical cliche', Comparing the Sox to the Cubs is comparing apples to dehydrated, vermin infested, putrified, ickypoopoo (sorry to go all technical on you)?
Last edited by CPLZ
I am trying very hard not to get embarrassed by a sox fan who believe it or not is getting technical with me. I'm sure Cub fans everywhere will kick me out if I lose a technical battle with a sox fan.
But I think I've got it.

Yes the compaison is very good except I think you forgot to put The Cubs first to match with "apples" and the sox second (very appropriate) to match with those very technical terms you used to describe them.

A word of advice: sox fans usually do better fighting in the gutter than taking the "technical" route. I do think you could do yourself a lot of good by picking up Webster's and learning the definition of "Rationalization."
quote:
I was thinking of Royals coaches, but you are right also.

I'll just nod and smile while you two try to piece together modern history...I figure the issues arise due to inexperience with the more recent events.

But hey, if I'm ever in a trivia bind, and I need to know how many buttons were on the fly, or how many fingers were in a glove, from the last time the Cubs won the World Series, I have full confidence in you guys.
Last edited by CPLZ

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.