Skip to main content

Here is one that happened over the weekend.  Runners on 1st and 2nd, 1 out.   12U 50/70 game.  Swiinging dropped 3rd strike, ball scoots away from catcher, runners start to advance.  Batter starts running toward 1st.  Catcher throws to first (even though batter can not advance since 1st was occupied).  Coaches of fielding team start to argue it should be immediate dead ball when batter starts to run.  PU never verbalized the strike out (mistake).  Did the batter do anything illegal by starting to run toward 1st?  I don't think so.. the fielders (catcher) needs to know the situation.  Thoughts?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The batter's running toward first base doesn't amount to interference or warrant killing the ball. He's just running until someone calls him out.

Yes, players are responsible for knowing the situation, but it's good umpiring practice, especially with younger players, for the umpire to make strong calls early in potentially confusing situations, occasionally adding a phrase of explanation.

Catchers at that age often will make the mistake of going after the batter since that makes up the majority of the events when the 3rd strike is loose.

My son was catching in a travel ball tourney.  Same situation 1st and 2nd and 1 down.  I was sitting in the bleachers behind the backstop and the count was 1-2 or 0-2.  I knew coach was going to throw the deuce and that pitcher bounced about 75% of them.  The batter was clearly going to be overmatched.  So before the pitch I shouted out on a swing and miss throw 2 or 3 if the batter runs.

Next pitch bounces, batter swings and starts running, kid blocks it, runners get a lousy jump because they don't move until the batter reacts and starts running.  Son picks up the ball and throws the runner at 3rd out by 10 feet.  Kid turns and looks at me and shakes his head and laughs.

Parent sitting next to me says "you watch too much baseball"  I said "thank you" 

At 12u this play is effective, especially if there is a runner looking to advance, but really it's up to the catcher to understand the batter has nowhere to go.  No reason for it to be a dead ball.

My other favorite at 12u was the casual stroll from first to second by the base runner, while there was a kid on third.  This often times leads to the pitcher either balking or throwing over to first/second and getting into a pickle situation as the kid on third scores during the confusion.

I always verbalize, "he's out" when there is a dropped third with less than two outs and with first base occupied.  I also always verbalize, "balls on the ground" and point straight out with my right hand indicating a drop third strike when the situation calls for it.  What is the correct mechanic for a drop third strike, both verbally and physically?

I agree with JWC... your voice is sometimes the best tool.  When there is a third strike caught, the out is verbalized.  "Batter Out"...  If it is dropped I just call "Strike" and point down.  I do not verbalize ball on the ground.  It is a good suggestion, but wonder if that would put the PU in the position of "tipping off" a team that may not be aware of the situation.  If the batter was sleeping on the play and then bolted to first because he heard the "ball down" call.  Would be interested in more experienced opinions.

JCW1022 and NewUmpire:

I disagree with parts of what you said.

Don't verbalize a swinging third strike that is caught. Everybody saw it and knows what happened.  Just give the visual mechanic.

The same principle applies on a dropped third strike (swinging) with first base occupied and less than two outs,  Everybody saw it. They should know what happened and what it means.  There's no need to verbalize anything unless the batter makes an effort to become a runner--but if he does start to run, nip it in the bud fast with a strong "Batter is out!" call.

On a dropped third strike with two outs or with first base unoccupied, you do want to give verbal information because the batter may not have seen the ball hit the ground and isn't looking at you, and the catcher may think he has a clean catch when he doesn't.  You need to speak up quick before either player makes a bad mistake based on the mistaken belief that the ball was caught (e.g., with two outs, the catcher can roll the ball to the mound, or the batter can start jogging to his defensive position). When you make your call, "No catch!" gives more relevant information than "Ball's on the ground!" because a) the dropped third strikes that can cause the most heartache are the short hops into the mitt, b) The ball may not still be on the ground, and c) your purpose is speaking is to communicate what happened, not to help anyone locate the ball.

Last edited by Swampboy
Originally Posted by 2020dad:
I hate how youth teams give 2nd base.  I would throw down especially with no outs.  That run is as good as scored when they are at third with nobody out.  Throw down and get the out if possible.  And if nothing else it teaches them how to play the game the right way.

I was Asst. coach up to 12U and I had this very argument with the head coach.  I said look with 1st and 3rd and one out - if we get the out we might give up 1.  If we let him go we'll probably give up that 1 and possibly a 2nd on the same play.

Finally convinced him to try the throw down.  Kids always got lousy jumps since coaches wanted to be sure to avoid the pick off.  So we threw over once or twice - even showing the "best" move to hold and slow them.  But then when they went they never expected the throw.  The first kid was stunned when the ball was there waiting for him.  The kid from third thought it was a fake and froze. 

Got the batter for the third out and got the donut on the board something like 2 pitches latter.  Changed that game around.  Suddenly coaches slowed down with the running and we actually got that play where the pitcher catches the throw to work.  We messed up a few teams by being willing to throw down.

We lost a few runs and kicked a couple but it was what we were trying to do - get the kids ready to play HS baseball.

Here's some preventative umpiring.  On the dropped (bounced) strike three with 1st base occupied and less than two outs.  You, the umpire should immediately and LOUDLY state:  "The batter is out, the batter is out, the batter is out!"

And pump your out call three times as well.  This let's everybody know, you've made the call.  Then the defense can do whatever it is they need to do.  But you've done your job.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.