Skip to main content

When we made our first ever pilgrimige to Fenway, we had a hot dog on a bun that looked like a regular piece of bread but it was made to act as a bun.

It was very good and I haven't seen one since.

Last night, Rachel Ray on $40/day, on the Food Channel was in Portland, ME and had a lobster sandwich on what looked like the same kind of bread/bun that we had at Fenway.

Is this an East Coast thing? Where can I buy these? They were much better than what I'm used to as a hot dog bun.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Dad04, let's talk, I'd love to get ahold of those buns but not at $3 each.

Gold Glove, a "regular" hot dog bun is flat on the bottom and round on the top kind of like a small loaf of bread. Then it's split lengthwise so the rounded part is one half and the flat part is the other half.

The rounded part is usually bigger so it ends up being asymetrical and might even fall apart if the hot dog is too big.

The East Coast hot dog bug appeared to cradle the dog much better and even tasted better. It was like a nice fresh piece of bread.
Dad04 that Frappe was once called a Coffee Cabinet, if it was coffee flavored of course. They were pretty big in my day.
How many of you know what a Quahog is. And the correct way from this former Bullraker is pronounced Quaw-hawg.
I have had the hot dog buns here in florida, unless Fenway has changed the bread in the last 2 years, its just a bun.
I just thought of this, the buns are really soft like bread because they keep them in steamers (pronounced steama's).
Grinders came from cold cuts that were actually ground up by a butcher back before the 60's. The sandwichs (pronounced sangwichis) were then placed in the oven. No real grinder can be eaten cold. They were always made with italian rolls (pronounced spacadella). Tonic is definitely a Boston thing. My cousins always called Soda....Tonic.
Anybody else got any old new england things, this could get interesting.
I sure hate to disagree with PGStaff, especially because I hope he gets to meet my son in a couple of years.

However, your suggestion to simply wrap a piece of bread around my hot dog...I'm not sure if that's authentic enough.

I'm sure nothing short of a trip to Fenway would make that bun taste just right!

I was born in Concord, NH but I can't figure out how to type how to pronounce it!!
Thats it!! Thats it FutureBackMom,..only invision a sliced hotdog on top instead of the spam! tee-hee. Can you believe they sell those at the stadiums and everywhere on the island? The kids eat them like they are peanutbutter and jelly sandwiches!! ha! My son has been wanting me to make them for the team,...not sure they will go over as well as the good ol' american classic hot dog on a bun, but might be fun just to see the boys reactions! ha! Big Grin
Last edited by shortstopmom
Agree too with soxnole on difficulty finding milkshake/malt or anything similar in Boston/Cape this summer.
Almost as hard as finding true White Sox fans prior to 05 glory run. Just kidding (kinda) - don't know how to insert smily faces on here.
Overall, thought Boston area was fantastic with tons to do and see plus plenty of good food.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.