Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by biggerpapi:
Idiot? Darwin Award?

Come on. The guy did the right thing. And without asking, he was rewarded handsomely. Why does he deserve anything for accidentally sitting in that seat?

This post might be a Darwin Award candidate.

Catching that ball was like winning the lottery. A bigger reward would've been to sell the ball. Baseball is big business and that ball was like a winning lottery ticket. Holding on to the ball to sell it to the highest bidder is no less doing the right thing than handing the ball back over for some games. Only smarter. If this fan believed he did the right thing, I suppose good for him but we'll agree to disagree here that the fan wasn't thinking straight.
Last edited by zombywoof
I'll retract my Darwin Award comment about your post. That wasn't very polite.

However, I worry about a world where the first thought in a person's head is "how can I make a fortune out of this," or "who can I sue because this didn't go my way."

I understand what you're saying...I just think Mr. Lopez did the right thing.
quote:
Originally posted by biggerpapi:
I'll retract my Darwin Award comment about your post. That wasn't very polite.

However, I worry about a world where the first thought in a person's head is "how can I make a fortune out of this," or "who can I sue because this didn't go my way."

I understand what you're saying...I just think Mr. Lopez did the right thing.

That's alright, I don't take it personally Smile

If Mr. Lopez thought he did the right thing, then that's all that matters since he caught the ball. While I get the nostalgia and all, baseball today is big business and the players and owners get everything they can from the fan so they can pay these big salaries. I would expect many fans, even those that have baseball nostalgia realize the value of certain items that can bring in a pretty penny so if the fan has a chance to make something off the game on a rare occasion, then he should seize the moment if that's the way to go. These ballplayers sell their signatures and any other merchandise that brings them money, so why not the fan?. I'm a huge baseball fan and all but if I caught that ball, I'd be more than glad to give it back to the player if the price was right. If not, then it goes to the highest bidder including the player.
Last edited by zombywoof
As a die-hard Yankee fan from New York, I am astounded that the guy gave the ball up. I think he was taken advantage of in the heat of the moment. Derek Jeter has made close to $300 million in salary, endorsements, etc, He has built a mega-house in Tampa, and has dated a list of starlets a mile long. He does not need a $300,000 gift from a 23 year-old kid. I did not see Derek Jeter signing the first Yankee offer in the fall.

I firmly believe that the kid should have given the Yankees the ball to secure it, but retained ownership. He should have taken a week to figure out what to do about it.
Just because a person can afford to pay for something doesn't instantly mean that person is obligated to do so.

The young man that caught the ball has been a Yankee fan his entire life. Being 23 years old, I'm sure most of his childhood was spent looking up to Derek Jeter as the captain of the Yankees. As the lucky recipient of the 3,000th ball, perhaps he felt an obligation to give the ball back to Jeter on morals. Jeter has done so much for New York and for the young man in particular that perhaps he felt that asking for money for the ball would be foolish and selfish of him.

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. But I'm a college student that'll come out with loans too. If I caught the ball, I'd give it right back to Jeter and hope that maybe I could get a handshake and a thank you. And hopefully he'd decide to take that ball and donate right to Cooperstown so that the people that visit the museum can enjoy the presence of the milestone in the display case. I'd assume Jeter would agree that the ball would be better for the game in Cooperstown than in his living room. And perhaps the game will be better with Christian Lopez giving the ball back to Jeter and not asking for money. It's a pure game that is played for fun and passion, and money causes that perspective to be hindered. I, for one, am glad that this young man realized that in his actions and did what he did. It's better for the game.
JH and Others,

I recognize and respect your opinion, but I don't share it. Pretty much everybody loves Derek Jeter, myself included. However, he is selling just about everything associated with this event through Steiner Sports and he is being compensated handsomely. One of his autographed baseballs sells for hundreds of dollars. I think you are trying to attach purity to an impure situation. If he is profiting greatly from this event and maximizing his personal revenue, I think young Mr. Lopez should do so as well.

He was fortunate enough to have the ball land in his lap. For all I know, Jeter or the Yankees are giving him more than has been reported. If so, great. But I really do think the young man made a mistake that he will regret in time.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.