Skip to main content

State Game.

Ball hit deep towards the fence and ends up hitting the foul pole. More specifically it hits the metal caging/webbing wing attached to the pole. Now this part of the pole is supposed to be facing inwards towards fair territory. In this case it was facing out and the wing was entirely in foul territory outside of the white paint on the line. 

Coach comes out screaming. Was not covered in ground rules. Game played under protest for not having a field with proper standards 

Fair or foul ball? 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

IMO, it's a foul ball. Ground rules are for non-standard items like pavement, trees, etc., or if the pole was tilted and should not be used to judge. The foul pole is standard and denoted an extension of the foul line. The webbing is not standard and is just supposed to help the umpire judge fair from foul. In this case, the webbing is clearly outside of the foul line so it doesn't need to be called out as special. Having said that, I think the coach should have mentioned it during ground rules.

My biggest question is why would it be that way?  Even if the wind had done it, that means that it turned in the ground.....someone could have turned it back.  I would be embarassed if my field had such a major issue and it hadn't been corrected, especially before a tourney game was being played there.  That being said, if the pole is still on the line where it's supposed to be, the webbing is foul if it's to the outside of the pole. Ground rules or not....common sense dictates this

I agree, I don't blame the grounds crew as much as I blame the HC for not getting on top of that. Now to be fair, it wasn't something anybody noticed either until the ball was hit there. Either way it can't happen. 

If I'm the coach I'm livid as well. I'm assuming it was noticed but they figured the odds of the ball being hit out there were slim and the odds of somebody noticing a ball hit off the wrong end of the foul pole were almost nonexistent. Really bad time for it to happen. 

Ever see a crooked baseline laid down at a HS game?  Then have a roller ruled fair because of it?

How about mound heights?  Been to places that looked like Everest in the middle of the diamond or a dirt spot with a rubber on it.

Fields that were tilted?  Kind of graded from left field to right about 6 inches?

Point being is HS fields are often relative cow pastures and the backstops, fencing, dugouts are often old, or poorly constructed.  Common sense ought to be a driver here.  If the pole itself is judged to be on the line - then in left field a ball to the left of it is foul and to the right is fair.  Not that complicated IMO. 

Get your ass back in the dugout - PLAY BALL!

I umpired at a high school field in south Georgia years ago that had no outfield fence.  There was cemetary in left about 375 and it was in play.  Watched a ball bounce around from headstone to headstone.  In the park (cemetary) home run.  The first game I called there had unlimited foul territory.  no dead ball zone.  I asked them to please run a line down there before the next game so we had some clue.  A ball thrown from first to third went under a car and it was considered live.  There was also the unreal play by the third baseman who went two cars deep in the parking lot to catch a foul ball.  Greatest play I have ever seen to stay focused.  Problem was the kid on third tagged up and scored because he couldn't throw the ball through the backstop.  In my early years, I saw some crazy setups for high school games.  Had one field that had the baseball and softball back to back with no fences in between.  Only saw one game where both were playing at the same time.  The centerfielders could actually talk to each other.  Had a deep bomb almost kill a girl on second base. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.