Skip to main content

quote:
Where we are born, who our parents are, what mom ate when she was pregnant, how many books they read to us as tots, what level of education they had, all are the strongest predictors of getting good grades, growing up healthy, scoring well on the SAT, and succeeding in college/ career / life.

CEP mom, most of the time, I agree with you; but this analogy, quite frankly, just hits me as what is WRONG with our society and education - and I hope as a CEP, you're not touting this to your clients!. Only kids with good grades who score well on the SAT will succeed in college, career and LIFE??? AND, if that kids mom ate CR** when she was pregnant, THAT is what caused the kid to have a learning difference?

It just ain't so. Sorry to be so hot - but if we don't recognize that kids are individuals who can be different and CAN and WILL succeed in life, even if they have lower grades and lower SAT scores - then are we calling all kids with learning style differences FAILURES?

Okay; got that off my chest. But in my own family I've got four COMPLETELY different kids. One with the social and academic skills to succeed wherever (but not a lick of athleticism), one D1 baseball player, one HS JR whose being sought by top D1 programs who struggles academically, and one straight A merit finalist.

Now, relating it back to baseball and financial opportunity - YES it takes finances to send kids to showcases, and YES that's inequitable. But, remember, not only the college uneducated, or those parents with low SATs are struggling financially. How many corporate executives (with or without high SATs Smile do you know who are out of a job or underemployed and have to make hard financial decisions that affect their kids' opportunities.

CEPMom, really, I do admire you and have valued your posts. I do (clearly) just get a bit riled when someone implies only "smart" kids are successful and that those who struggled were "neglected" or cursed with bad dna.
Last edited by gamefan
Game fan I just had this pop up in my inbox and wanted to reply so fast 1! Wow I have never been more misunderstood in my life, but it could be how I wrote that post. I don't have much time to compose this so my reply might be a bit lacking in focus but I really want to clarify my point in that older post.

I'll have to re-read my post more carefully because your understanding of what I wrote is about 180 degrees from the direction I had intended. I am really very sorry if you (and others) interpreted my comments to be so elitest and insulting.

My intention was to join with some others to lament that fact that so much of the 'system' of educational access and opportunities is so skewed in FAVOR of those who HAVE, that it is a shame that baseball seems to be headed in that direction as well, with the price of travel ball, showcases, lessons etc offering opportunities for those with resources.

I was probably unclear in my post and I am very sorry for that. And absolutely 100% I agree with you, that anyone CAN become anything with talent and drive. I come from a family of 7 with no resources whatsoever, same mom and dad, and we all have achv'd many different things in out lives, some with college some without. (ONe perfect SAT NMS, one who never graduated HS. Go figure. I was in between those 2!)

I still see that family circumstances can play a huge role in the ability to get prepped for SATS,. have lessons for everything, go to all the right schools and camps. And that is, to me, unfair and inequitable.

This is why all IECAs and all CEPS, and so many people involved in the educational world on all levels, invest efforts to help ALL kids in this path.

In our local community I serve on several committees that address this, that strive to provide academic resources for all students. I fight for our BOE budget every year. I offer pro bono services and community outreach constantly so that ALL students can get the advice and support they deserve. So I hope if I have been unclear in my one post that you can realize it was a misunderstanding. It was bad writing, not bad values ---- perhaps I should have made a clear Thesis Statement in my post!!

Gotta run, hope this clears up a big misunderstanding adn I am sorry if there are typos Smile
Follow up - here is the immediate context of my comments, I was responding to posts directly above me, such as:

quote:
All that said, the poor kids don't have all the advantages of more fortunate kids. It's not just baseball, it's a much bigger problem than just baseball. It will take more than baseball people to solve that one. "

"I could not agree more.

We like to think we live in a meritocracy, but merit has unfair advantages in every stage."

Fan, I am sending you a PM also, hope we can clear this up.
Last edited by BaseballmomandCEP
Hi, Just wanted to provide our experience.

HF delivered on what was promised big time. We attended the LI camp last summer, the first of, I think 3 in a row. Lots of coaches and they were all available and happy to chat with my son, even while eating lunch. He received as much exposure as one can expect at these sorts of things and throughly enjoyed himself.

We, living in Colorado, made this the "big trip back East" to view Colleges. He first went to the Naval Academy Camp then up to LI for HF. We got lost in NYC, stuck in the tunnels, pulled a U turn on Broadway, had lunch in Montauck, got to be "extras" on a "Royal Pains" shoot. Following Headfirst he then planned out a 10 day sourjourn to schools he wanted to see, both baseball and just academic. He was the navigator and I the driver. He made arrangements to meet with various coaches, admission officers, student representatives and take tours. He pitched off of about 20 different college mounds around New England "just to see if it felt right". MIT didn't "feel right" but Harvard was "sweet".......although that ain't gonna happen...LOL I got to read a lot of books I had been meaning to read.

All this allowed him to boil it down to 3 schools on the East Coast for applications which we are now waiting to hear "how much".

From my perspective, I got three weeks with my kid tootling around NE watching him grow and collect information for making a hard decision...probably his first hard one. 3 weeks in a car with one's 17 yr old was priceless to me.

The openess and honest conversations he had with the various coaches at Head First (all in one place) were worth every penny in this context. They let him know when he was going to pitch so that he could tell various coaches.....and they came to see him, sitting directly behind home plate, and again chatted with him afterwards.

Stanford is a horse of a different color being a training camp as well as an exposure camp. He got to know all the coaches of schools attending where he would be competitive to make the team. In fact he saw and chatted with quite a few again at HF later. Honestly, at 5'9" low 80's LHP he's not Stanford baseball material but his ACT/SATs make him competitive for admission to other schools that also have baseball programs.

So yeah.....I believe that for us, living in Colorado, and a remote part of Colorado at that, HF made a lot of sense and they more than delivered on what they promised.

I also have to say that the, now, three year old PG evaluation of my son was pretty darn accurate in its projections. Pretty darn impressive in the accuracy and I'd recommend their program whole heartedly to a parent that wants an unbiased opinion on the potential of their son's "game". I believe a PG event early can actually save one money in the long run...but that's just my opinion....LOL

Cheerio
From our experience and we've done a little of everything, the best bang for the buck was the Stanford camp, the absolute worst I wish I could get my money back value was DeMarini Top 99 where son did more standing around then anything else and the best way to actually be seen was attending a college camp.
No matter how well he did in showcase camps, we rarely had any follow up but he attended three prospect camps at colleges he is interested in and it reaped 2 offers plus the third is still circling depending upon the draft and what their needs become.

1000 dollars sounds like 3 prospect camps and much better odds of having an impact unless you son is one of those physical specimens that stand out even while striking out!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.