Skip to main content

Son is 15 and was recently clocked from outfield with a high of 77 with an average of 74 (approx 8 throws). He is 5'7" 150. Any advice on upping the velo. Long toss, weights? I anticipate he will gain strength as he gets older, but I don't know how much. Should I be concerned? Could he hit 85 by 2013? Radar gun was at about 45 degrees (not sure if it matters). Thanks for your help.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Depends on what you mean by radar gun at 45 degrees. How far away was the gun from where he was releasing the ball and where was it lined up relative to where he was throwing the ball? Within reason the direction the gun is pointing doesn't make any difference.

If the gun was really at 45 degrees then he might as well change over to a pitcher now. He'd be Aroldis Chapman material.
Last edited by CADad
I wouldn't be that worried, 77 is not that bad for a 15 yr old. I have two articles on how to gain arm strength for pitchers but they apply to anyone who wants to increase their arm strength. Learn how extension can increase velocity along with your hips. To go along with these articles make sure your son is keeping his weight on his back leg as long as possible. Long toss is always a good way to increase arm strength as well.
I made a bunch of "gadgets" that worked for my son. A rice bucket, a broomstick with weights, thera bands, a 5 lb weight attached to a cord and a pulley suspended from the basement ceiling. I also participated with him in long toss ... with a 5 gal bucket of baseballs (I'd catch them).
Fungo

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.