Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Your son's conference is 24 max for conference road games and they will likely take up to 27 for non-conference.  Keep in mind that it's not like they decide at the start of the year who those 24 or 27 are going to be .....the decision's usually not made until a day or two before each roadtrip starts. Injuries, pitching rotations, etc can determine who goes and who stays home.   Spring Break trip will likely take everyone.

Last edited by Buckeye 2015

Also depends on the team, HC, and where player stands on depth chart. As parent of a frosh playing D1 baseball...wanting to see your son play...I would be hesitant to plan on attending away games until you are more certain that he will be on travel roster. My son is a 2018 so we still have plenty of time before we start scheduling any trips but I can almost certainly say that our trips during his frosh year will be planned for home games just to be safe.

I don't know the exact number but yes there are fewer players on away games.  Might  be a function of what the school program can afford on away games.  Might take a few games but son will know where he stands. Parents of pitchers have it rough unless a starter.  Son's first series freshman year was away, we made arrangements to go for the weekend.  Son's response "i dunno" when asked if he thinks he will get any playing time (positional player).  3 hrs before game time we get a text he is starting.  Go to the games if financially you can.  We spent maybe 4-5 hours/day with son before and after games.  He usually had a teammate tag along whose parents weren't there.  Had some memorable moments and met some fine young men.  Son probably won't admit it but on the few away games we didn't go it appeared he was a little bummed when he found out.  

Buckeye 2015 posted:

=.the decision's usually not made until a day or two before the roadtrip starts. Injuries, pitching rotations, etc can determine who goes and who stays home.   

True dat...Quick story.  I ran track in college.  I was told I was going to be redshirted my frosh year about two weeks prior to our first meet.  I was having some issues adjusting to competing at that level.  Happens to most college Frosh.  Not sure if it was the pressure being removed or what, but right after that everything clicked and I adjusted.  I started performing at a level that surpassed my prior bests.  Not a coach said anything to me.  I just kept bringing it to practice.  We have our day before meet meeting and guess whose name was on the "active" roster.  Yep, the did not redshirt me.    I called one of the assistant coaches that I had become close with later that night.  His basic response was "we go with whoever we think can win at that moment.  based on what we have seen the last two weeks we think you can help us win".  

I had already told my entire family (and girlfriend) not to come to the meet as I was going to be redshirted.  None of them planned on traveling to my meet.  Fortunately for me the meet was fairly close to my hometown and some of them were able to rearrange plans and show up.  

As indicated above, it varies a great deal.  When son played, I believe the rule in the ACC was 27 for conference games.  However, the actual number was sometimes more than that.  Only 27 guys would be active, but injured players and others sometimes traveled as inactive players.  There were times when I saw them in the dugout dressed out, even though officially inactive.  For non-conference games son's team usually took the full roster. But, other teams that came in for midweek games, especially the smaller schools, often brought far less than their full roster.

coachld posted:

Also depends on the team, HC, and where player stands on depth chart. As parent of a frosh playing D1 baseball...wanting to see your son play...I would be hesitant to plan on attending away games until you are more certain that he will be on travel roster. My son is a 2018 so we still have plenty of time before we start scheduling any trips but I can almost certainly say that our trips during his frosh year will be planned for home games just to be safe.

If my kid’s home field was in the Valley of the Sun I’d simply plan on going to just home games too!   No better place to visit and take in a game!  

Across the different divisions the concept is the same...conference determines travel roster size. And the travel rosters can be “set” very late in the week. 

Most teams will not travel their entire team to non conference games either. 

And some won’t travel the whole team on Spring Break which can be a real downer for those kids/families...having just witnessed that again last year. 

MidAtlanticDad posted:
phillyinNJ posted:

Are the same standards used across all levels? (DII, DIII, etc)

I think that only matters for "Championship" events, because NCAA is footing the bill. Max is 27 players for D1, and 25 players for D2 and D3.

I believe son's D1 team took the entire team to the "Championship events", which included travel for the conference championship as well as NCAA Regionals.   I think 24-27 traveled to conference games.  As far as spring break trips, the team did leave a few behind, which was sad for player and parents, and I'm sure the coaches, too, since they were probably under budget constraints. 

Last edited by keewart

For some reason, the portion of the NCAA site containing the rule book isn't working this morning.   However, this article suggests that D1 baseball tournament rosters are capped at 27.  The entire "travel party" is capped at 35.  I assume this includes coaches, trainers, and non-roster players.  Of course, 35 is just the number for which the NCAA will reimburse expenses.  The school could always carry more than that, at its own expense.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/defa...olicies_20171009.pdf

NOTE: Take a look at the Travel Party sizes for football and basketball.  Easy to tell where the money is. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.