Skip to main content

I know this is a dead horse but it just keeps coming back to life. I post on this site and Englishbey Hitting with some regularity. I post on one other site every blue moon. I view a few more but don't post. WOW, ON ALL THOSE I DON'T POST ON, there is a war taking place between HS and Select coaches. Ironically, on one of them, a Dad upset about his child's stats posted that his child's HS coach is destroying his child's chances of getting a scholarship because he can't keep accurate stats. Then, he went on to state what his child did during the summer and how great the summer team is. Well, guess what, the coach of that HS team has a response. Not very nice one at that.

The coach responded that he kept accurate stats and that this Dad was the coach of the summer team and so cheated so that his child had better stats than anyone else. He then said that this Dad took all of the credit for the summer team when, in fact, that team's success was due to the HS program.

While reading all of that, I thought, poor kid.

I read some comments in the stats thread on this site with regards to summer and HS programs. All seemed to be in the same vane.

Since this seems to be such a hot topic lately between summer ball and HS, I just wanted to say that it doesn't have to be that way. No one deserves all of the credit or blame. Give the kids some credit also. Often it seems as if it is a war of adults so chill. The kids are doing just fine. When Junior steps up to the plate or has to throw that one key pitch, be a source of support. All else will sort itself out. For every coach on this site, treat that child as you would your own. If you give them a kick in the butt, follow that with a pat on the back. It really is that simple!

I edited this post to state that both insecure parents and insecure coaches can really hurt the kids that both care for!

"Failure depends upon people who say I can't."  - my dad's quote July 1st, 2021.  CoachB25 = Cannonball for other sites.

Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
CoachB quote:
The kids are doing just fine. When Junior steps up to the plate or has to throw that one key pitch, be a source of support. All else will sort itself out.

So right Coach. Why is this so hard for some to swallow? The worst part of parents "living the dream" is that it turns into Juniors nightmare.
rz1, I could not believe I was reading a Dad and Coach in an internet argument about a kid/player. Talk about airing out your laundry for everyone to see. I have a child and I informed the coach for her team that I want to go sit down the line this year for games and just enjoy watching her. I won't be keeping stats. I won't be second guessing. I'm just going to enjoy that moment.
quote:
I informed the coach for her team that I want to go sit down the line this year for games and just enjoy watching her. I won't be keeping stats. I won't be second guessing. I'm just going to enjoy that moment.

Welcome to Section Z Coach. Bring your seeds, your soda, a smile, a good attitude, and enjoy the game.

If I want to argue stats, they will be MY stats, and since I'm not in the box score I have nothing to say.
Last edited by rz1
Having good HS or summer league stats by no way means the players has any talent.

Good example. A HS (2007)ball player this year has 10 home runs, sounds like a college or pro prospect right?

A MLB scout saw him play this week. The player Extremely slow bat with metal. was jammed 4 times on fastball none faster than 82 mph. The ball never left the infield.Home to first 4.8 +
2.2-2.4 release time ( 73 mph on throws)
and much smaller than his dad claimed.
Unsigned with colleges too

quote:
I have a child and I informed the coach for her team that I want to go sit down the line this year for games and just enjoy watching her. I won't be keeping stats. I won't be second guessing. I'm just going to enjoy that moment.

With all due respect, CoachB25, as I have read many of your postings and agree with most of your comments, the above quote bothers me. A Dad, even making the above remarks, strikes me as a real "red flag" to a Coach, in that the mere statement means that in the past you may have done "otherwise".

I am as guilty as the rest of parents who have "simply wanted to do the best for my offspring". Type A? Only if there isn't a higher classification. I run a pretty good size corporation, and 2 sons that are attending Academies. It doesn't get much more "control freak-ish" than that. But I do hope that people reading our rantings can somehow learn from our many mistakes, and hopefully step back and "savor the moments" for what they are. I know it has been much easier for me to do this with my cadKID#2 than it was with my oldest.

Bottom line... if your kid is good enough, it will shine through. Tweaking? Sure. Situations call for flexibility, but the earlier that parents can divorce themselves FROM ANY INVOLVEMENT WITH THE COACHES, the better. If unfairness is occuring, then move (that doesn't mean to Cleveland)... make changes, without being in Coach's faces over what really, in most cases end up being trivial issues IN THE LONG RUN.

cadMOM always tries to point out to me... "Don't sweat the small stuff, and most of it's small stuff..."

As a point in my life right now, I must state that there is virtually no contact with either of my kid's D1 Coaches, that is not originated by them. When they need a donation, they generally call. Otherwise, I try just to be another fan in the stands... perhaps one that yells just a bit louder than the guy next to me...

cadDAD

Academy Dad, I understand your concern. I coach this team all winter long. In fact, since I am a coach and kind of known in our community, I coach 2 teams that my girl plays on. I also coached the bases for those teams. In fact, I plan and run all practices, have the ball diamonds and equipment. In saying this, I just want to sit back. I coach for a living. I want to watch my girl and just be a Dad. I've asked the coach to find someone else to coach the games etc. A majority of girls playing on her team have chosen to play for this team because they get my coaching services for free. (No not a big head - I run a business and get paid well for private lessons.) I've never kept any stat and only know the ones my girl keeps. Those are her home runs and pitching record. I hope you understand. (And did I tell you that my girl is the second coming of Jenny Finch? LOL! Eek Cool )
Last edited by CoachB25
cad dad- excellent post. The kids are good, in part, because they are usually type A and come by it honestly. Backing off sooner than later is better. Of course, backing off does not mean unsupportive. The only time I got "involved" was regarding pitch counts. Boy, that was unpleasant for everyone.

I wish I had a $ for everytime a college coach said he didn't care about stats, anyway.

quote:
As a point in my life right now, I must state that there is virtually no contact with either of my kid's D1 Coaches, that is not originated by them. When they need a donation, they generally call. Otherwise, I try just to be another fan in the stands... perhaps one that yells just a bit louder than the guy next to me...

Me too. Not sure I could get in touch, if I had to. It's actually a good feeling.
Last edited by Dad04
CB25&RZ
I agree with both post's. We really have'nt had much of that type of problem in this area. Most of our travel ball coaches support the High School first. I know when my son was in travel ball or even during the Seattle Mariners and Angel elite teams none wanted to step on the high school coaches toes, the school team came first.
Now as for the parents in the stands, there are some doozies out there. I have seen the inflated BA and the under inflated ERA's. That is not uncommon. Sometimes these parents are just pathetic. If their kid isn't playing they have the book to prove why they should be, never mind it's their book. If their kid's crushing line drive (a 4 bouncer just past the pitcher mound)isn't scored a hit they let everyone know they were jobbed. I hate to say it it doesn't stop at HS, its in college too.

Re coaches and parents: If a player is doing well , the kid gets the credit for listening and then executing. The coach gets the atta'boy for teaching the kid. Which coach (HS or Travel)gets the credit? The confident ones don't really care. They may say they worked on certain aspects, but give the credit to the kid. MHO is insecure coaches argue who get the credit, however there comes a time when a good coach may have to stand his ground once in a while, and that is totally acceptable. If its the parent and the coach arguing (not discussing)about stats or whatever, there should'nt be much of an argument, give the parent a chance to say their peace, explain to them your side and how continued controversy could affect the team and their player. If it continues give the parent and the kid their walking papers. It sounds bad to handle it this way but a coach needs to do what is best for the team not for a single player. Most coaches wont rob their own players a hit, why would they want to make the other teams pitcher look any better.

Good Luck

CoachB25,

As the kids say... My bad. Not enough information for me to comment on your personal situation (not that I should, even if I could), but I do think under "normal circumstances" my advice to parents of younger players is "cautious and prudent" (that is what the speed limit in the State of Montana was prior to the oil crisis of 1975... Cautious & Prudent...).

Try your hardest to stay out of the light. It's one of the toughest things to do as a "participating parent", but it's getting more and more prevalent and important. Your participation should be in getting them ready to do battle (apologies for the pun)... not in fighting it for them.

And ClevelandDAD...

I just knew that no matter where I said "you don't have to go to" to make a change, that someone would get a knot in their knickers (just kidding...) Too many fun times with a former Ladies Tag Team down in Shaker Hts, to ever really "dis" the Cleveland area... Used to call on Forest City years ago... nice memories... don't mention it to cadMOM...

cadDAD

Caveat: I haven't read the entire Scorekeeping thread, mostly because I thought that horse was, at a minimum, in a coma. So this may be repetitive.

I had words with my son's hs coach at the end of his senior season because the stats were poorly kept by a student who obviously knew as much about baseball as he knew about neurosurgery. It was a shame several of the boys lost their chance for All County honors because of it, but as those boys were all going on to college on baseball schollies, it was a minor disappointment. I had words with him in the hopes that, in future, he would recognize that such honors might be more important to a player who is enjoying his last baseball experience.

As far as stats having any more significance than such conference comparisons. Um, no.

We all have examples of players with stellar 'stats' that mean zippo. Two guys who were cut from the hs team transferred to a small religious-affiliated school, then had ink in the local paper all the time for pitching no-no's, hr's, everything. Of course, it was in a conference that wouldn't be competition for a LL team. But their Moms probably have nice scrapbooks of clippings.

A parent who thinks stats will increase their child's potential for college or pro signing must think that all the coaches and scouts out there are, shall we say, not very bright. To those Stats Worshippers: what do the coaches/scouts SEE when your son plays? That's all that counts.
Last edited by Orlando
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Martin:
Having good HS or summer league stats by no way means the players has any talent.

Good example. A HS (2007)ball player this year has 10 home runs, sounds like a college or pro prospect right?

A MLB scout saw him play this week. The player Extremely slow bat with metal. was jammed 4 times on fastball none faster than 82 mph. The ball never left the infield.Home to first 4.8 +
2.2-2.4 release time ( 73 mph on throws)
and much smaller than his dad claimed.
Unsigned with colleges too

He's the player in the middle...with the sports section...reading the press accounts of his baseball prowess...

And Orlando...Great post. And I also noticed that the ape looking guy certainly wasn't beating a dead horse.

Ok cadDAD...here goes...

CoachB25,

As the kids say... My bad. Not enough information for me to comment on your personal situation (not that I should, even if I could), but I do think under "normal circumstances" my advice to parents of younger players is "cautious and prudent" (that is what the speed limit in the State of Montana was prior to the oil crisis of 1975... Cautious & Prudent...).
Montana DMV circa 1973 Cautious on straight-a-ways is considered 95 mph. Prudent in curves is considered 75 mph...unless, of course, cattle or pedestrians are present.

Try your hardest to stay out of the light. It's one of the toughest things to do as a "participating parent", but it's getting more and more prevalent and important. Your participation should be in getting them ready to do battle (apologies for the pun)... not in fighting it for them.
Take up spelunking...that'll keep you out of the light. And as for preparing them for battle...get the entire Power Rangers and Teen Age Mutant Ninja Turtles series. For learning the finesse approach to doing battle try the Babar videos.

And ClevelandDAD...

I just knew that no matter where I said "you don't have to go to" to make a change, that someone would get a knot in their knickers (just kidding...) Too many fun times with a former Ladies Tag Team down in Shaker Hts, to ever really "dis" the Cleveland area... Used to call on Forest City years ago... nice memories... don't mention it to cadMOM...
Try as Cleveland might it's tough to keep a river afire from grabbing the occasional sensational headline. And Ladies Tag Teams will put you on the top of every Tourism Bureau's 'MUST SEE!' list. And I'm quite sure cadMOM has her own memories. Shaker Heights and Forest City are probably not included in them. But you never know unless you ask!

cadDAD
Don't worry cadDAD...your secrets are safe with me!

Hello...cadMOM?

This is a friend of your husband.

No, no...I'm not Wally from Wally's World of Wine...I'm gotwood.

That's right...From the HSBBW...I know, I know...it's a great site.

How have you been?

Really?...Don't be troubled.

Please let me explain.

We call him cadDAD because each of your sons are playing baseball for a military academy team.

No, no...we don't consider him a cad at all...Trust me.

I'm glad you're relieved.

I do have one question for you cadMOM...Have you ever been to Shaker Heights?
Last edited by gotwood4sale
intersting. I've read on and off about this.

was just at a game with 2 D1 schools represented. They go by word of mouth and what the scouts see. If a stellar kid piques interest, they will follow him. Sure they may call coach to confirm impression, but they know daddy ball is out there. Around here select teams have lower quality players, so kid's play may look better, when in fact it is not.

If someone misses an honor due to poor record keeping, then that is too bad.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.