Skip to main content

Has anyone attended the Cooperstown Dreams Park and in the process I guess you are required to bring one umpire. So how does this work? Just ask around to see who would like to go? I guess its free once you are there as an ump its just getting them there, maybe offering to pay for their gas I don't know. Anyone with experience on this I would appreciate your input
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Eric G:
Has anyone attended the Cooperstown Dreams Park and in the process I guess you are required to bring one umpire. So how does this work? Just ask around to see who would like to go? I guess its free once you are there as an ump its just getting them there, maybe offering to pay for their gas I don't know. Anyone with experience on this I would appreciate your input

Best of luck with this. You will have to find an umpire whose ego drives his common sense into the ground. An umpire who believes this is a big deal to call baseball in Cooperstown. Who likes to bunk up like he is back in the military and get paid squat for the privilige. Look to get old umps with nothing better to do, young umps with stars in their eyes.

As I said, best of luck. You should have no problem finding such candidates in the umpiring ranks.
Be prepared for some very differing opinions on the Cooperstown experience,.........

There are some umpires, who have gone, who have related the experience as akin to "summer camp" for umpires...they have enjoyed the experience and some return year after year to call games with the friends they met there........

Another group finds the teams having to bring a "free umpire" as being exploited by a "for profit" organization........

good luck............
Eric

we use umpires from that region when we do our Binghamton Showcase---there are times they bring in trainees to work with the "old timers" and we have three umpires on hand for showcase games---if you want drop me an email or PM and I can give you my contacts info---perhaps he can help you---I am sure he knows what goes on there

They are great people to work with

Tom Rizzi
TRhit@msn.com
Last edited by TRhit
quote:
Originally posted by Mario New Haven:
Only wannabe umpires go to Cooperstown. You'll find me doing real baseball, not some juvenile bullchit to try and please an egotistical owner.

Sir, have you no shame? I, for one, and for the one of whom I shall now speak, have a great friend, a comrade, a big (hearted and bellied) ump; in all ways who would drop his hyooge left nut, that he is want of need, to determine the outcome of games in that place of yore!

I, I, well, I never got my chance, bad lumbars squeezing horribly aligned thoracics do tell their tale on my tail. crazy
As you can see there are different ideas of who goes to Cooperstown. Some will say it BS and you should never go. They feel it is beneath them and they wouldn't be caught dead there volinteering for no good reason. Of course many of the same guys say that about the LLWS. There are others that say it's a great time to see good youth baseball and meet guys that stay friends for years. Some guys have been multible times just to work with their friends.
I know guys with not a lot of talent go and I know some very highly regarded umpires that have been there and spoke highly of it.
It is dorm living, hotel rooms can be had, but some of the best war story trading happens in the dorms.
I personally have never been there, but that doesn't mean I never would either.
quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoSuperman:
quote:
Only wannabe umpires go to Cooperstown. You'll find me doing real baseball, not some juvenile bullchit to try and please an egotistical owner.

Sir, have you no shame? I, for one, and for the one of whom I shall now speak, have a great friend, a comrade, a big (hearted and bellied) ump; in all ways who would drop his hyooge left nut, that he is want of need, to determine the outcome of games in that place of yore!

I, I, well, I never got my chance, bad lumbars squeezing horribly aligned thoracics do tell their tale on my tail. crazy

You had better refer to me as "Sir". I would have been an MLB superstar had I not blown out my MCL at the beginnings of my MiLB playing career.

Let me tell you, a bad back is NO EXCUSE for you to not go to College and use that brilliant IQ of yours that you like to boast about.
Last edited by Mario New Haven
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoSuperman:
quote:

You had better refer to me as "Sir". I would have been an MLB superstar had I not blown out my MCL at the beginnings of my MiLB playing career.

Let me tell you, a bad back is NO EXCUSE for you to not go to College and use that brilliant IQ of yours that you like to boast about.

I am sure you think that making fun of such a fine umpire as Steve is great jollies. It's not. You hurt his feelings and he is my friend for life. Donovan, why not go back to Virgin Gorda and play with Walter, fly your airplanes and do what the two of you do best. I will admit that. Pro athletes need your training expertise, umpires don't need your grief.

Tim.
quote:

I would gladly go. Except I take free gear and registrations for my sons as fees. This disqualifies me.

Tim.
I took a team to Dreams Park in 2000. At that time, we had the option of bringing an umpire, or paying $400. We assumed the $400 was to pay local umps. One of our parents was an umpire, so he covered for us as our ump. You'll see some really good players. Some of these teams travel from state to state every week, playing different tournaments. Highlight: Even though we took a team from our little community, we managed to beat a team that recruited it's team from 3 states. Enjoy and good luck.
quote:

When are you going? john_schally@yahoo.com
quote:
Originally posted by therefump:
I think JIMMY03 should go and whip these umpires into shape! I'd recommend him. Jimmy knows baseball.

If you enjoy taking personal swipes at posters, might I suggest you contact MST. He could refer you to a couple of sites where that is the custom and standard.

We try to stay above that here.
Last edited by Jimmy03

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.