Skip to main content

Hi All:

Haven't posted in a while, but I'm looking for some help. First year son pitched a few innings and has been out since with bicep issue. It's possible he could return in next two weeks but I can't see him throwing many innings even if he comes back (he is a reliever). Has anyone been through the NCAA application process for a D3 medical waiver to protect eligibility for a year lost to injury? I get the process generally but could not understand the calculations for what constitutes using your year or not, especially for a pitcher. Any help/advice would be awesome. Thanks!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Haven't been through it, but I investigated for my son. My advice would be for your son to discuss with his coaches immediately. If he throws one pitch in a game now (assuming they've played more than 1/2 of their season) he could be disqualified from hardship waiver. His coaches should be able to help him figure this out, and you might also want an expert opinion from Informed Athlete.

https://informedathlete.com/me...rdship-waiver-rules/

"NCAA Division III athletes will use one of their four “seasons of participation” if they practice with their team after the first game of the season – even if they never appear in an actual game against another team."

From Rick at Informed Athlete...fyi

Not an exciting topic for me...My Junior player has been out with a L5 stress fracture since the beginning of the season. His spirits are surprisingly strong and remains engaged as one of the team captains. Season gone, summer ball gone.  Yuk

Last edited by Gov

Hi:

thanks for the input. I’m still confused. One reply says if he practiced once after season began and then the link says 1/3 games or plays after mid point. Is the first one redshirt and second medical waiver? My son might be game ready in a week so I guess time is of essence. Any more clarity? He has pitched 2 innings in two appearances si he hasn’t nearly played a third of games…

@Gov posted:

"NCAA Division III athletes will use one of their four “seasons of participation” if they practice with their team after the first game of the season – even if they never appear in an actual game against another team."

From Rick at Informed Athlete...fyi

Not an exciting topic for me...My Junior player has been out with a L5 stress fracture since the beginning of the season. His spirits are surprisingly strong and remains engaged as one of the team captains. Season gone, summer ball gone.  Yuk

Sorry to hear this. Between covid and a potential hardship waiver he must have at least 3 more possible seasons, right? Is he thinking that way, or just graduate on time and move on?

Hi All:

Haven't posted in a while, but I'm looking for some help. First year son pitched a few innings and has been out since with bicep issue. It's possible he could return in next two weeks but I can't see him throwing many innings even if he comes back (he is a reliever). Has anyone been through the NCAA application process for a D3 medical waiver to protect eligibility for a year lost to injury? I get the process generally but could not understand the calculations for what constitutes using your year or not, especially for a pitcher. Any help/advice would be awesome. Thanks!

Mine, the second response is loss of one year of eligibility:

Sorry to hear this. Between covid and a potential hardship waiver he must have at least 3 more possible seasons, right? Is he thinking that way, or just graduate on time and move on?

Thanks. Been tough. Was going to make his first start and couldn't go. Sucked. There is no graduate school (goes to high academic school in the midwest) so the idea would be to keep a year if he goes on to grad school elsewhere. This doesn't do his coaches any good since he would play at another school, so it's a bit tricky to navigate if in fact he can claim medical hardship.

It still seems like conflicting information on here. Practice once and your year is used or play in less than 1/3 of games and he don't throw a pitch in the second half and he can apply for a hardship waiver.

NCAA needs to simplify this. Best bet is probably to talk to his coaches and the trainer and hope it doesn't have any blowback if he chooses to sit it out the rest of the way to be safe/save year. Sucks all around but what can you do?

Hi:

thanks for the input. I’m still confused. One reply says if he practiced once after season began and then the link says 1/3 games or plays after mid point. Is the first one redshirt and second medical waiver? My son might be game ready in a week so I guess time is of essence. Any more clarity? He has pitched 2 innings in two appearances si he hasn’t nearly played a third of games…

"participate in a game or if they practice with their team after the first game" is the standard "seasons of participation" rule for D3 , leaving out all special waivers.

The medical red-shirt rule is in the D3 manual as "14.2.5 Hardship Waiver". I know a kid who played 4-1/3 seasons of D3 baseball using the hardship waiver (and he set a few school records in the that final year). Your son's school would have to apply for the waiver, so he should talk to his coach about this immediately. His coach my have other plans for him.

There is no graduate school (goes to high academic school in the midwest) so the idea would be to keep a year if he goes on to grad school elsewhere. This doesn't do his coaches any good since he would play at another school, so it's a bit tricky to navigate if in fact he can claim medical hardship.

That's a tough spot. Coach might be thinking he could help in the conference tournament of something. I would definitely call Rick at Informed Athlete for some exert advice. Good luck.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.