Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Gary Gilmore has done a great job at CC. Florida has been the recipient of some game changing transfers over the past several seasons. I think it was done so they could benefit from Florida's NLI. But I think his retiring is more about his poor health than anything else.

It's really tough for smaller programs in this part of the country like Coastal to compete  against larger programs.

JMO

Interesting perspective.  Pre-NIL and Pre-portal, I typically think about the athletic situation where the number 2 guy gets leaped by an incoming Freshman phenom.  I think it’s fair for those athletes to be able to find a place they will play, without ascribing blame to kid, school, or coach.  The current situation does make it the Wild West though.  Bottom line is the NCAA is a joke though.

Here is the reality for D1 mid majors (which up until now I had considered to be a great destination for most guys that were good enough to play D1 but not superstars) : they can’t compete financially with NIL deals offered by SEC & ACC schools. HCs from lesser schools (baseball-wise) are resigning to take Asst Coach jobs at high powered baseball schools. Just this week Ohio St HC goes to TCU to be an Asst. and Dayton HC goes to Vanderbilt to be an Asst. Those guys see the writing on the wall. They know everything is going to be about following the money until some structure is put in place. The players at mid majors are following the money too. A couple of years ago I saw a MIF playing for NMJC in the NJCAA Region 5 Tournament and was blown area by his ability. I called the RC at the D1 mid major that recruited my son and told him about it. The school signs this kid and finds out there were issues with his academic transcripts. Nothing major - just something that required a lot of time and attention to correct. That got handled and the kid had a fantastic year in 2024. And he was so thankful for what had been done for him that he immediately jumped in the transfer portal and announced that he would go to the highest bidder. Without talking to the coach that had done all this for him btw. Mid majors are in a tough spot and that’s what Gilmore was talking about. And he is 100% right. The way NIL is currently working it will only further the divide between the schools & conferences that fully invest in baseball and those that don’t. It’s no accident that this year’s CWS participants are all from the top 2 conferences in college baseball. They are the ones that have enough money to pay current players enough to retain them and also pay market price to bring good players in. Mid majors don’t have the money to do that year in and year out.

@adbono

Can you post article?

FWIW a few coaches mentioned were asked to go. That's usually how it happens. The OSU coach  went to TCU because his family stayed in Texas when he left.  Former UGA coach also was let go last year as was the South Carolina coach just recently. Just a few examples.

Donors from all programs want their programs to win or the money will dry up. I think this was the case at OSU. Either way it was here on day gone the next.

Most baseball players get very little NIL but do get opportunities to promote a brand. That's significantly different than going to the highest bidder, and that doesn't necessarily mean a championship ring.

Baseball players from the richer programs also get just about everything one could want without playing football or basketball and their support staff is huge. Many players that I know choose a program because they are following their dream, family is alumni or because they want to work under that coach or his staff. What I am saying is that they have plenty of opportunity and most have goals of going pro. But there are lots of guys that leave because they don't like the HC.

Son said something to me once when I asked why a top assistant coach left a great program to be a HC at a smaller program. His answer was that every guy wants to fill in their own line up card.

JMO

Last edited by TPM

Just to add an observation. Many coaches are looking to add  older transfers because of those player's experiences have been battle tested, not because they are more talented than the freshman. They have been there and done it.

But it's very important to understand the programs philosophy on development before one makes a commitment.

JMO

@TPM posted:

@adbono

Can you post article?

FWIW a few coaches mentioned were asked to go. That's usually how it happens. The OSU coach  went to TCU because his family stayed in Texas when he left.  Former UGA coach also was let go last year as was the South Carolina coach just recently. Just a few examples.

Donors from all programs want their programs to win or the money will dry up. I think this was the case at OSU. Either way it was here on day gone the next.

Most baseball players get very little NIL but do get opportunities to promote a brand. That's significantly different than going to the highest bidder, and that doesn't necessarily mean a championship ring.

Baseball players from the richer programs also get just about everything one could want without playing football or basketball and their support staff is huge. Many players that I know choose a program because they are following their dream, family is alumni or because they want to work under that coach or his staff. What I am saying is that they have plenty of opportunity and most have goals of going pro. But there are lots of guys that leave because they don't like the HC.

Son said something to me once when I asked why a top assistant coach left a great program to be a HC at a smaller program. His answer was that every guy wants to fill in their own line up card.

JMO

There are also guys (players) getting 100k or more. Not the norm but definitely happening.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.