Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My son is a lefty who used to do some catching. He was always told the issue with a lefty catching is the throw to third because a lefty has to turn his body a bit to make an accurate throw as opposed to a righty throwing to third. Never seem to present a challenge for him though. However, most coaches will NEVER allow a lefty to try catching.
The throw to third would be the last concern. The fact that most hitters are rh and the obstruction that rh hitters would give on the throw. The fact that the throw to second base needs to be on the right side and lh catchers would have to throw across their body at an angle to get it there. And most lh kids have alot of movement on their throws anyway. I dont know about you guys but I have not seen many lh kids that could throw anything straight. Pitcher, 1b and of. Thats where your going to play if your lh. Its just the way it is. Five out of nine aint bad.
Well I have first-hand info about playing as a left handed catcher, hence my screen name lol. I have been catching for most of my life and will be playing college baseball as a left handed catcher next year. Most people will say the right handed hitter will be in the way on a throw down to second, which is never the case. How many times does a right handed catcher have trouble with a left handed batter? never. The only real concern some people have is about the throw to third. With a right handed batter, the time it takes for a lefty to make a jump pivot and throw to third is almost the same as it takes for a righty to shuffle behind the hitter. There are advantages on the throw to first in pickoffs, blocked third strikes, bunts, home to first double plays... Also, there are more right handed pitchers, and a left handed catcher has an easier job recieving for a righty than a righty catcher would. People have told me all my life how it does not work, yet I am still playing and keep proving people wrong.
I don't think this is just a matter of tradition. Many of the drawbacks have been touched upon above. It is a very tough throw to third for a lefty catcher as well as to first.
Also, on a play at the plate, the runner is coming into the glove hand of the traditional right handed catcher (and the catcher is facing the field to get the throw from any angle as the runner comes into him), whereas a lefty would have to turn his body significantly away from the field and to make the tag (while trying to still face the field for the throw).

Lefty catchers, like lefty 2nd, 3rd and shortstops just ain't right.
The problem is throwing runners out. It's that simple.

We are talking about tenths of a second that determine a good catcher from a bad one. 2.0 flat is an average catcher. 1.8 is a catcher that can throw great to the bases.

Locating arm side away, which would be the side away from your arm side, is much harder than locating arm side. This goes for pitchers, too. Throwing across your body and locating is more difficult than locating arm-side.

Ball movement is another issue. A throw to 2nd from a lefty may cause his ball to run back over to the other side of the bag. Same for 3rd. A righties ball, if it runs, will run to the tag side of the bag for a more accurate throw for a potential base stealer.

Batter in the battersbox is another. And as someone mentioned above, a common strategy is to bat a lefty in the 2-hole, to make the throw to 2nd more difficult for the right handed catcher. It's easier to throw and be accurate when your arm can work freely, and not be restricted or have your arm stroke interrupted by the batter. The fact is, more players bat righty than lefty, so a righty catcher will have more freedom in a 9-man lineup to throw down without a player standing arm side.

The throw to 3rd is a whole other issue. Pitcher's comfort and target recognition.

One major key to the game of baseball is keeping your double play in order. Keep runners out of scoring position. Protecting 2nd base and 3rd base is very important, and you can't afford to leave anything to chance.

You can get away with a lefty catcher in high school, but as each level goes by, the runners get quicker, smarter, and more mature.
Last edited by Prospectwire
quote:
Originally posted by Prospectwire:

We are talking about tenths of a second that determine a good catcher from a bad one. 2.0 flat is an average catcher. 1.8 is a catcher that can throw great to the bases.

Matt, 2.0 flat is average for who?? High school? College?? Pro?

1.8 is great for who? High school? College?

Are you refering to game throws or training enviornment/showcase throws?
Last edited by Catching Coach
quote:
Originally posted by Catching Coach:
quote:
Originally posted by Prospectwire:

Matt, 2.0 flat is average for who?? High school? College?? Pro?

1.8 is great for who? High school? College?

Are you refering to game throws or training enviornment/showcase throws?

Catching Coach,

My times were just as an example to prove that tenths of a second can decide a catcher's career behind the plate. I didnt want to get too technical with it.

Just for the sake of expanding on your question though, I would break down it by the following:

Pop Times
Major League Average: 1.90 seconds
HS Average: 2.00 seconds, maybe 2.05

This can be interpreted that if you throw a 2.0 in the big leagues, you are below average. If you throw a 2.0 in high school, you are about average. This is just arm strength. Catchers are obviously evaluated for receiving, blocking, leadership qualities, ability to manage a staff and a game, etc.

The showcase/game question is really just player-specific. Are the people running the showcase letting the catcher get away with a half squat, or are they being strict with him? Does a player in a game situation feel a greater sense of urgency and perform quicker throws under the game pressure?

Hope I answered your question.
Matt, I have to disagree. I can't buy the .1 of a second difference between the high school average and the MLB average.

quote:
Are the people running the showcase letting the catcher get away with a half squat

Not sure what you mean here. Are you making a comparison between a game poptime and a showcase poptime? If so, the experienced catcher doesn't go into what I think you are calling a "full squat" with a baserunner on during game situations. Therefore the "squat" of the catcher shouldn't enter into the showcase vs. game pop time. However the catcher can decrease their poptimes in non-game evaluations by moving forward into the plate area as they receive the pitch. If they try this during a game they will get "bat smacked" and be called for catcher's interference!
Fungo
Matt:
I also have to disagree. I'm not an expert, just an observant dad of a high school catcher. If we are talking game pop times, I think the MLB average is right at 2.0.

I've measured a couple dozen using frame-by-frame, and they have all been right at or around the 2.0 mark.

High school average is probably more like 2.25

Now, you may have been referring to the high school showcase average, which is different than the average high school catcher.

But the showcase averages are not game pop times, and we all know how time can be shaved from simulated pop times compared to game pops.

So, as far as game pops go I would say MLB average is 2.0 and HS average is closer to 2.25
The fact is most HS catchers are in the 2.2 to 2.4 range on pop times. Some are higher. The really good ones are in the 2.0 to 2.1 range. And the exceptional which there are very few of are in the 1.9 range. These are true pop times not showcase pop times Im talking about game times. If the showcase is ran by people who know the deal they will see if a kid is up in the box , standing up and getting the ball before it gets to him etc etc. Pop times are no different than 60 times and radar readings. They vary greatly based on who is taking them and who is reporting them if you know what I mean. A 2.0 accurate game pop is the benchmark for a catcher. If you can do this you are exceptional. The fact is it is rarely seen in HS just like the true 90mph fastball is rarely seen. Often reported but rarely seen.
I will add this. My son is a catcher and 08. He plays on a showcase team that holds there own showcase events during the course of the summer. His whole team attends these events since it is put on by the team. So what Im saying is he is at alot of showcase's and gets timed almost weekly by scouts. His good game times are 2.0 (best) to 2.06 (avg). His showcase pop times are almost always in the 1.9 range. Every once in awhile he will hit a 1.89. Why are his times better at the showcase events than game times? Closer to the plate hence closer to second base. MIF recieves the ball in front of the bag everytime. This is not the case in a game , sometimes the mif is late getting there one things for sure he isnt just standing there ready to recieve it and has time to reach out and get it way out in front of the bag. And why would you let it travel to the tag. No batter. Perfect throws not getting it from a pitcher with movement in up down etc. You just can not equate game pops with non game pops. The best way to judge a catchers arm is to look at the flight of the ball. Does he throw downhill with carry through the bag? If he does hes OK.
quote:
Originally posted by Fungo:
Matt, I have to disagree. I can't buy the .1 of a second difference between the high school average and the MLB average.

quote:
Are the people running the showcase letting the catcher get away with a half squat

Not sure what you mean here. Are you making a comparison between a game poptime and a showcase poptime? If so, the experienced catcher doesn't go into what I think you are calling a "full squat" with a baserunner on during game situations. Therefore the "squat" of the catcher shouldn't enter into the showcase vs. game pop time. However the catcher can decrease their poptimes in non-game evaluations by moving forward into the plate area as they receive the pitch. If they try this during a game they will get "bat smacked" and be called for catcher's interference!
Fungo

Man this is getting way more technical than I anticipated.

I mixed and matched my times here Fungo.

Allow me to explain in a little greater detail here, and I'll try to be a little more responsible in what I say so I don't raise anymore eyebrows.

What I consider to be a high school catcher probably differs from what you thought I meant. A high school catcher to me is a starting varsity player that has been catching for years that takes the game serious and has a good chance of playing at the next level (college or pro). Not the kid who is his backup, not the kid who plays baseball because his older brother does, or because his dad made him, or because his regular team catcher got injured and he had to step in from right field. Not the kid who has no interest in playing at the next level, or knows he's not good enough to play at the next level. I'm talking about the high school catchers with a future playing baseball beyond high school baseball. To me those are your high school catchers, that is your high school crop of catchers. Those catchers average pop times will be somewhere between 2.00-2.05. (This is more of what I would consider showcase pop times). As I said, some catchers respond better to game situations though and may pop faster in a game with the adrenaline going. I've seen kids pop quicker in games, and they feel it's a greater sense of urgency and get rid of it quicker. But obviously, showcase pop times are generally quicker.

Game times are more important and for a high school catcher, anything under 2.00, or 2.00 flat in a game is exceptional and 2.2 is about the norm in a game for a high school player.

Major League Average Pop Time, for the average catcher is about 1.90. That would be game time.

If you factor in ALL high school catchers, this includes the backups or the kid's who just got stuck at catcher because their team needed someone to fill the spot, I'd say the high school average would be about a 2.20 (showcase).

Is this scientific? No I'm just estimating. I havn't sat down and done any studies. Just going by experience. You can never learn too much about the game of baseball, and I, like most others am still trying to learn as much as possible. If someone did a frame-by-frame analysis, how it was mentioned above, I'm sure everyone would be interested in the results.

Area can also make a difference. From your personal experience as a father, your location may play a role. If you go to Florida, Texas and California, you will see better overall pop times. If you go to colder states, northern states where they can't play year round, you may see a slower pop time among the average catcher.

As for my "half-crouch" comment. What I meant is, you'll see kids cheating, practically standing up, so it's just a catch and throw, or step and throw for them. It minimizes footwork, it cuts down their time because they are halfway standing up already. There are different ways for catchers to cheat in a showcase to decrease their pop times, that is not consistent with how they would catch in a game. That's all I meant.
Last edited by Prospectwire
Lefty Catcher,..you've got the right idea!
Just keep doing what you're doing,...sounds like you've been doing something right if you get to play college baseball. Keep proving people wrong. I like your spirit!!

IMO there should never be a " norm ",...there should only be results,..and if ya get it there,..its there!!!!

I feel like sometimes baseball gets over analyzed. ( wow,..I'm sure that non politically correct statement will go over like a weighted balloon with the fellas! ) ha!

Keep catching and doing what you do best!
I dont think that anyone should put limitations on kids because of their height, preference over left or right hand,....their race,..or the color of their eyes, etc. etc.

Deliver the goods,.. own it, no matter how you do it,....thats sweeeet success!!!
Last edited by shortstopmom
Leftycatcher, As I said earlier, I know the concern for a lefty is the throw to third. However, I have no doubt you use that to your advantage! If a team thinks they can take advantage of a lefty behind the plate, they'll do it of course. However, as soon as you throw the first one out, that will usually stop that line of thinking!! I love to watch the face of a coach and players when a lefty does that!!! Smile

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.