Skip to main content

Have a question - has do you balance "silence" with productive discussion of skills and maybe get some insight into where other parents see their kids fitting in at the next level.  As I have said before, I am now comfortable saying that 2017 can play at the next level, however the range at the next level is quite large.  I'm not talking about the one sided discussion where you simply gush on about your son's abilties, but rather how do you lay out all the positives without sounding like "that" dad? 

I have my standard story when it comes to non-baseball folks (along the lines of "he just seems to keep getting a little better so we'll just have to see where he ends up").  Had a short discussion over the phone with a local JC coach (he was calling to confirm attendance at a local event) several weeks back and found myself rather uncomfortable in trying to outline 2017 abilities as I kept thinking the coach was tired of hearing these stories.  I probably undersold 2017.  In this case, the coach was able to see 2017 in action, but I keep thinking about discussions I might have with a baseball educated "stranger" and how would I realistically outline abilities to possibly get some realistic feedback from "stranger" without him ever setting eyes on 2017. 

I think that us exactly why you video and showcase right?  Anything you say will pretty much go in one ear and out the other anyway.  Get a PG or PBR profile.  In many cases there is video included.  You can also make your own you tube.  So the conversation goes something like this.  "Coach of course I couldn't be more proud of my son and I have great faith in his abilities.  You would know better what it takes to play at your level.  Let me send you a couple links..."
Originally Posted by 5tools22:
You cant go wrong being humble...best advice i ever heard was a coach himself with a talented kid who told me he never talks his kid up...he just lets the coaches decide for themselves what they think of his kid and lets their play do the talking.

I know i could learn from that advice.

^^^^

This!!

Why is it so hard, for so many to just do THIS?! 

Last edited by justbaseball

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.