Skip to main content

College coaches have been talking to the players about where they want to play next  Summer. Lots of choices. so does it matter where you play? Is it different for pitchers vs Pos players? Which is best for you? How are they different? How would you rate they?

Choices are:

1. CAPE COD LEAGUE

2. MLB DRAFT LEAGUE

3. NORTHWOODS LEAGUE

CALIFORNIA COLLEGIATE LEAGUE

AMERICAN LEGION

PERFECT GAME LEAGUE

CLASS A AMATEUR BASEBALL

PROSPECT LEAGUE

COASTAL PLAINS LEAGUE

APPALACHIAN LEAGUE

any others?

Last edited by Good Knight
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Before the MLB Draft league was included the New England League (NECBL) regularly ranked second behind the Cape Cod League and just ahead of the Northwoods league. The league has several MLB draftees each year and plays really quality baseball. Due to its proximity to the Cape some players get "a taste" of the Cape at the end of the year if their team doesn't make the playoffs.

Every league tends to be willing to sign pitchers; many of the better pitchers are on strict pitch or start counts. Position players are more apt to stay and its harder to latch onto a team later on. It may not matter where you play (if higher tier league) but THAT YOU PLAY. Some leagues also allow position players to play multiple positions (don't limit you), which can prepare you for your college season the following year.

What is his goal? How much will he play in the spring? How high is his skill set?  For example, going to the Cape and sitting because he is over his head would be a poor selection.  For a player who is a Pro Prospect, it would be a good fit.  Northwood teams play far more games than most and emulate a MILB season in that regard.  Some leagues have a big drop off if you are not on a certain team.  Lots of nuances in finding the right fit.  He should ask one of the coaches where they think he would best develop.  Then ask older teammates their experiences at those leagues.  The board here can offer insights as well.  If he has an Agent/Advisor, they will have input.

1. Add Appalachian League to your list.
  2. There are many other less known leagues as well.  Tons of reps and being a big fish in a smaller pond can be useful too.  Often closer to home, making it easier for family to see him play.

The truth of the matter is that any of those leagues could be just fine. The more important issue is, “what does your player need next summer? Does he needs more reps to develop or does he need rest to recover from a long season??” - and that can’t be evaluated until the spring season is over. For now the thing to do is secure a roster spot somewhere. Then see how it plays out, with the decision being made based on what is in your players’ best interest come June 2022.

My kid is playing on the NYCBL. He is a rising freshman and was offered it through his college coach's connection. Before receiving that offer from his coach, the original plan was to work, workout and guest play in the summer plus a non-sports related family vacation as a send off. Wife and I are glad he is relatively close to home and I think we still have time to swing a vacay before school. The kid felt there was no way he could refuse the offer from the coach and he is going to play/room with another player who is also a rising frosh on his college team, which is a good opportunity to bond with a future teammate and potential college roommate.  I am curious besides the MLB sponsored ones how many leagues allow rising freshman? 

The Cal Ripken Collegiate League is certainly worthy of this list.  10 years ago it used to rate as one of the better summer leagues.  I don't know about today as it has been a few years since I attended one of their games.   Based on their alumni, it still looks like a pretty good summer league.   http://www.calripkenleague.org...lripkenleague/alumni

PS...@2022NYC I know (10 years ago) the Cal Ripken League had a handful of rising freshmen (mostly D1 P5 or D1 mid-majors programs) on their rosters.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0
Last edited by fenwaysouth

I admittedly don't have a ton of experience with pro ball so it's possible I'm way off base but I really have a hard time believing once you leave the top 3 or 4 leagues it's very valuable for draft stock.

Reps, sure. But I don't buy for one second that a pitcher heading to the Prospect league is going to send him up the draft boards. I think summer leagues benefit bats and hurt arms.

How did the (Virginia) Valley Legue not got mentioned? A couple of lower level summer leagues not mentioned are (New England) Futures Collegiate Baseball League and (Mid Atlantic) Atlantic Collegiate Baseball League.

In response to a question above the Futures League allows rising freshmen.

Last edited by RJM

You missed Alaska.  Great league, even though it has lost a few teams over the years.  My son's team from 3 years ago has had several players drafted, a few in the top 3 rounds, and several more sign UDFA deals.  Not only is the competition great, but the experience of playing golf at 3am because it is still light out, visiting the glaciers and catching a salmon literally in the stream behind your host families house is unsurpassed by any league!

Last edited by Suds

one problem with ranking leagues based on the level the player comes from is that a 93MPH mid-major scores lower than an 85MPH bench player from a P5.  same goes for a C that rakes at mid-major vs a bullpen catcher with a great GPA at a P5 who can't hit a lick.  lots of other scenarios like that.  especially with the prevalence of transferring going on.  but I don't think anybody has a better objective way of way of ranking leagues.

the Savannah Bananas are a completely different experience than the Alaska League and some players will love one and hate the other.   The fields at the Cape might disappoint some kids.  etc.  it all depends on what you are trying to get out of your summer experience.

I think in most situations a player can benefit from being a part of any number of summer leagues. Like many things, one mostly will get out of it or benefit from it, proportionately to what he puts into it. We definitely had positives that we could take away from the Valley and the Coastal Plains.

The Savannah Bananas are definitely different and awesome. I know opposing players sometimes do not take kindly to being treated like they are the Washington Generals playing the Globetrotters though. I would recommend checking them out sometime - the online content, or if you are ever in Georgia and can find a ticket, in person       

@Bulldog posted:

Not a proponent of the site, but this is the only actual ranking that I could find with a objective analysis . . . https://csbn.news/2021/07/06/c...-10-csb-league-list/

"The Northwood League may well be the best overall collegiate summer league when all factors are considered."

^^^^for those of you that just looked at the rankings, this caught my eye.

You want to go where you can play, and where you play after your sophomore year matters if you have pro aspirations.  But ultimately, your college coach decides where you play (in most cases).

The cape gets all the hype, but it can cut players as well as offer some players temporary contracts.   For those, a plan B needs to be in place.

My son played the Northwoods League last year and it was a grind. Got there  May 31st and didn’t get to come home until August 12th (had to be back in campus the 17th).  Long bus rides. Got home anywhere from 12-4am. Played everyday except 4-5 days all summer. As a pitcher, his team had a LOT of pitchers on the team..  He ended up pitching every 7th day but was still required to attend all games.  He was not with a great host family and mentally it was a tough summer. He said it was supposed to be and he was going to lean in to it.  That said, I know it was hard. His team was good. Won the division, lowest team ERA in the League, went to the championship.  I think he values the experience but said he won’t go back.  He just signed a contract for next summer in the Cape Cod league. Less games, no more than an hour or so drive to games and they finished earlier.

Last edited by baseballhs
@baseballhs posted:

My son played the Northwoods League last year and it was a grind. Got there  May 31st and didn’t get to come home until August 12th (had to be back in campus the 17th).  Long bud rides. Got home anywhere from 12-4am. Played everyday except 4-5 days all summer. As a pitcher, his team had a LOT.  He ended up pitching every 7th day but was still required to attend all games.  He was not with a great host family and mentally it was a tough summer. He said it was supposed to be and he was going to lean in to it.  That said, I know it was hard. His team was good. Won the division, lowest team ERA in the League, went to the championship.  I think he values the experience but said he won’t go back.  He just signed a contract for next summer in the Cape Cod league. Less games, no more than an hour or so drive to games and they finished earlier.

My pitcher son had very nearly the exact same kind of summer one year in the Valley League. First time away from home. End of May to beginning of August. Bus rides were not real long, but bus broke down a couple times. Was a huge grind. He got in tremendous shape. Turned out was probably good for his baseball development but would not do it again. He probably only made it through because he did have a great host family - with basically his own floor in a home on a golf course.

@baseballhs posted:

My son played the Northwoods League last year and it was a grind. Got there  May 31st and didn’t get to come home until August 12th (had to be back in campus the 17th).  Long bus rides. Got home anywhere from 12-4am. Played everyday except 4-5 days all summer. As a pitcher, his team had a LOT of pitchers on the team..  He ended up pitching every 7th day but was still required to attend all games.  He was not with a great host family and mentally it was a tough summer. He said it was supposed to be and he was going to lean in to it.  That said, I know it was hard. His team was good. Won the division, lowest team ERA in the League, went to the championship.  I think he values the experience but said he won’t go back.  He just signed a contract for next summer in the Cape Cod league. Less games, no more than an hour or so drive to games and they finished earlier.

My son had a similar experience with long and frequent bus trips in the Coastal plain League, and it took a toll on him. Situations can vary tremendously based on the team, the division, the schedule, and the home town of the team. It’s best to do some research before you commit - that is if you have that luxury. Playing summer ball can really help a player develop but if pro ball isn’t your goal (or isn’t realistic) then you should be looking for the best fit and not the most high profile league you can get into.

Adbono Good Night

every family, players has decisions to make with the help of his College Coach. When the first summer league were started, the options were limited to two leagues. Playing with 4 future MLB provided a level of confidence building. Summer Leagues are more than bus rides. They are stopping the bus shoot a rattle snake in the road.

experiences one never forgets.

Bob

The grind of the Northwoods League convinced my son he wasn’t signing unless he was a high level pick. He didn’t expect to be. When told he was projected to go in rounds 27-32 he told his coach he would be back the following year. On questionnaires he admitted he wasn’t interested in signing unless taken in the top twenty rounds. He went undrafted. With five to play four he had his BA in three years and two years of eligibility remaining. He stayed for baseball and his MBA.

Last edited by RJM

And whatever coaches tell you now may not come to fruition later. Freshman year, son was supposed to go to Northwoods league. Two days before he was supposed to leave, coaches decided to keep him out and work on his motion. Sophomore year, he was supposed to to Cape Cod. I had my east coast vacation all planned when Covid hit and he ended up in Waterloo, two hours away. Played there again last year. it was a ton of travel, and he's a pitcher, so he often was on the road for days, knowing he wouldn't play.

Team started using him to do color commentary with their radio broadcast during those trips. It was fun for him and honestly I think it's something he might explore career wise down the road.

I am very high on the Valley League, ranked #3  on the list that's linked  to some of the posts, with a slight bias-I am League Vice President and President of the Strasburg Express. We just sent off our order for our 2021 Championship rings.      We always receive great comments from the MLB when we meet with their rep at the ABCA meeting. Just speaking for our team, we've had 35 guys drafted in our 10 year existence and most other teams have had similar results.  Compared to other leagues, our travel is fairly light, especially for teams located in the center geographically.     For the gentleman whose son played at  New Market where the bus broke down occasionally, a former coach (Moe, known as "The Legend of the Valley") left the team a nice inheritance, so they have a newer bus, new outfield wall, new sound system, etc.   Rosters fill pretty quickly every year so if interested, don't sleep on it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.